Lorax - should he be extended?

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He’s having arguably his best year all around year as a cog in a solid unit and you over him as a player..... 

I agree we obviously need to be thinking about a replacement immediately due to his age..... But WOW, the things people say on here. SMH 

I think it can argued that Lorax is our most consistent pass rusher.  He can rush from the inside and out.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fair enough. The numbers refute my take on Lorax and I always defer to numbers.

That being said, the lack of a dynamic edge athlete is preventing this defense from making the jump from good to elite. Too many TD's in the RZ. Get a freak athlete coming off the edge and I believe that works itself out. Does anyone have a better idea as to how to fix the awful RZ defense? Love to hear it.

Resigning Lorax would not prevent us from doing htis....he makes virtually peanuts

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Resigning Lorax would not prevent us from doing htis....he makes virtually peanuts

Yes, and as I've continued to say, my biggest concern is that they don't address edge athlete.

I have no problem resigning Lorax to a one year deal, but they cannot neglect the issue. The best way to come up with big stops in short areas is to have dynamic athletes with the ability to contain screens, etc. That is my solution to fixing the RZ issues and I've yet to hear another.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

In his interview this AM, he said he hasn’t decided if he will play next year but will decide with his family on the offseason. He said if he decides to play he hopes that he and the Bills can come to an agreeement and he can retire here. 

he also stated that he for sure has another year in the tank though...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yes, and as I've continued to say, my biggest concern is that they don't address edge athlete.

I have no problem resigning Lorax to a one year deal, but they cannot neglect the issue. The best way to come up with big stops in short areas is to have dynamic athletes with the ability to contain screens, etc. That is my solution to fixing the RZ issues and I've yet to hear another.

Agreed.  We're a unique defense given that we're a) good and b) don't really have a game changer.  Tre is fantastic and Edmunds might develop into one someday, but presently we don't have one.  I'd advocate to extend him again at a team friendly price.  He makes ~3M per right now, but I don't want to offer him ~5M as some suggest.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, stony said:

Agreed.  We're a unique defense given that we're a) good and b) don't really have a game changer.  Tre is fantastic and Edmunds might develop into one someday, but presently we don't have one.  I'd advocate to extend him again at a team friendly price.  He makes ~3M per right now, but I don't want to offer him ~5M as some suggest.  

Yep. And I happen to love Milano, but he's more heady and opportunistic than athletic.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I lean towards Edmunds being that guy on the OUTSIDE. If he continues to struggle with recognition, he could thrive in a role that requires less diagnosis and more raw talent.

Middle linebackers are not nearly as valuable as they once were.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Based on his production the last few years, he’s been extremely underpaid. Considering we have plenty of cap space ( probably won’t even spend half of it), I’d give him 6+ mil for next year based on appreciation alone. He’s earned his damn check.

Love Lorax and want to resign him...but you know who the perfect replacement is? Josh Allen from Kentucky. Can play off the ball, on the ball, can line up as a defensive end in nickel defense. He's the perfect hybrid player for his defense. Not the athlete that Shaq Thompson was coming out, but he's a much better football player. 

First Josh Allen is working out. Might as well get the other one. Heck let's sign the backup center Josh Allen, formerly of the Bucs to corner the market on Josh Allens. 

umdttdoibaqbc7uxedmu.jpg

Obviously, early in my career, I was a predominantly special teams player.” Alexander shared on WGR 550’s The Howard and Jeremy Show. “I think that saved me later in my career because I don’t have the same mileage as your average 35-year-old because I wasn’t a starter, I played only maybe 15 plays on defense and then all the special teams plays.”

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-lorenzo-alexander-wants-to-retire-as-a-bill

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

There's absolutely zero reason not to give Lorax a one year deal. I think both parties would be fine with that. Great pickup by Whaley. Yes, he made a few!

Rex said he had followed him throughout his career and thought he would be a good ST player. I don’t often give Rex credit but credit where it is due. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, 100% he should be back in some role on this defense next year. I cannot see any reason why he shouldn’t and lots of reasons why he should... 

- he has played damn good this year

- Bills have boatloads of cap space. More than they are going to use next season

- he is one of the main leaders in the locker room. He has fully bought in and embraced this new regime’s philosophy. Plus he’s really embraced his role as a leader and taken a number of thr younger players under his wing.

- he’s embraced the buffalo community and does a lot of charity work off the field

- he’s a model NFL veteran that does everything the right way (exercise, diet, film study etc) and is a great example for all the young guys that are already in buffalo and the ones coming from our (at least) 10 picks in this draft. 

He also just recently said that that he wants to retire in Buffalo. 

With the amount of cap space buffalo has I don’t see any reason they wouldn’t offer him a deal. They may possibly want to go year to year with him (if he’s willing), but I’d be shocked if the Bills didn’t offer him a contract.