Other Allen throw to Foster that was better than TD bomb (GIF)

Bocephuz

Which JA throw to Foster in Jags game is more impressive?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which JA throw to Foster in Jags game is more impressive?

• Long bomb TD to Foster
    • 3q 19 YD 1st Down to Foster shown in Gif

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/2018 at 09:20 PM

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I would rather improve the offensive line so he isnt taking the hit

Troy Aikman had a terrible OL his rookie year and paid the price.  Then Dallas went out and acquired one of the most dominant oline in NFL history. I'm hoping our 1st round pick and top FA are both OL. Find your big uglies Sean....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The bomb to Foster was one of the most impressive plays I've ever seen on a physical level. The other throw to Foster was more impressive on a mental level and those are the throws he'll need to make consistently to move the chains. So I get what you're saying but the bomb was still the best throw of the game. Good chance it will end up being one of the best throws of his career when all is said and done.

Imagine if he had receivers that could actually get separation, even occasionally?  Honestly, except for the occasional blown coverage where someone clearly misses an assignment - it was really nice to see Foster run by someone and get a few paces of cushion.

2 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

I think it is safe to assume that everyone has seen the TD bomb to Foster and justfiably so that play is getting much attention as an example of JA climbing pocket and throwing a strike.

While that throw was incredible.. the 19 yd throw to Foster shown below from 3q  :12 mark is even better IMO

- Allen stands tall in the pocket ..

- Hit as he releases the ball

- Throws with velocity over the middle

- Gets it over /around 3 defenders to Foster for a first down

That's as good as it gets right there...

I'm going to come out with a likely unpopular opinion that I don't mean to be negative on Allen at all: in all honesty, I don't like either throw from the perspective of getting Allen to the franchise QB level we want.

I'm going to put this disclaimer up front before people stop reading here and I will simply say this: Allen showed more on Sunday to justify his upside than any game before this season. And while he still has plenty to work on, we may be able to use the play action to develop him much like the Steelers did with Big Ben. I just hope it doesn't become the only thing he can execute well.

Now for the constructive critiicisms:

Bomb to Foster: like Joe Licata said, it was just a wow play. As a play and result, no one can dislike that. But from a "franchise QB" perspective, there are a few things that are off about this. His stride foot is completely off-line as are his shoulders making the throw all arm. While the ball some how miraculously made it there, I'd like to see him still get the accurate stride and quick throw out. I LOVE the pocket slide up to create the extra time for routes to develop, but at the same time think he could've started his throwing motion much earlier in the route, even after he started to slide. I'm still at a loss for how the ball made it there, and I don't want to say it was Campbell preventing him from following through that allowed for the throw to lead Foster to the right, as he may have very well hit the window if he did follow through. But from what ended up happening, it's hard to tell if that hit from the front affected his accuracy in a miraculous way. Both good and bad can come from this play in terms of development and growing from it. But no doubt a helluva play from a raw rookie talent.

PAP to Foster in a gap in the zone coverage: I'm a little more down on this play than the bomb for similar reasons that may seem like nitpicking, but are concerns for Allen's development. The pros: stays in the pocket, checks the safety, looks off to the right keeping the safety planted, looks back and fires to Foster in the window with velocity and touch. The cons: held onto the ball too long even for PAP, was later than he should have been on the timing to Foster and made up for it with his velocity and touch, again footwork issues.

So the play action thing - again, it's a great tool for him to develop within, but my concern is that it will only further enforce his already bad habit of holding onto the ball for too long. I'm by no means claiming this will happen, but just putting forth a concern. Especially on this throw, he doesn't even begin his motion until Foster has already planted and stopped. While his velocity and touch makes up for it on this play, he needs to have the ball out just before Foster stops at the top of his route. You beat zone with timing AND accuracy. Not just arm strength. A late, hard yet accurate throw still has more chances of being picked than a well-timed, accurate throw with lesser velocity.

All in all I'm for his upside and can't wait for the rest of the season watching him develop. I just hope for the best and not the worst like everyone else, but I'm far from convinced given how much he has to develop. I guess my point is, enjoy these plays and watching him develop, but don't point to these as evidence of him establishing himself as the "franchise qb" we've been waiting so desperately for. He's just not there yet, and no one should expect him to be there yet either.

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

I thought the fact Foster held onto it after the hit was more impressive. The slo-mo doesn't do it justice.  

Both are true. Foster did an incredible job of hanging onto the ball just when being popped. Then surviving the hit to come back and play. Very impressive.

Both of those passes and plays were terrific from both Allen and Foster. I loved that in the huddle on the bomb Foster asked for "a landmark" and Josh said "the bottom of the forty" and that's exactly where Foster and the ball went and the catch was made.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Now we just need some guys to protect him and a couple others that can catch his fastballs

Giving him more time is key.  Indy wasted good years with Luck by not investing in the line.

The Pats were the model for this for years.  If you have a real QB, protect him and give him time to throw- and many good things will happen.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Now we just need some guys to protect him and a couple others that can catch his fastballs

Yeah, both plays had one thing in common, Allen got crushed as he threw. 

Great catch by Foster there. 

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Giving him more time is key.  Indy wasted good years with Luck by not investing in the line.

The Pats were the model for this for years.  If you have a real QB, protect him and give him time to throw- and many good things will happen.

I think we will be smart enough to address this, but that’s a lot easier than getting the right guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Obviously....I agree.

but having guys that can catch his passes are equally important.  Catching a laser from Josh Allen is different than catching a laser by other QBs.  It just is.  We’ve dropped SEVERAL this year that should’ve been caught.  We need speed but more importantly, imo, is having at least one go to WR with elite hands.  At least one.   

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, both plays had one thing in common, Allen got crushed as he threw. 

Great catch by Foster there. 

I think we will be smart enough to address this, but that’s a lot easier than getting the right guys. 

Both of those passes were ridiculous.  Hopefully he can keep this up.  His numbers weren’t great Sunday, but he played a great game and would’ve had legit stats if not for drops and penalties 

34 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Both are true. Foster did an incredible job of hanging onto the ball just when being popped. Then surviving the hit to come back and play. Very impressive.

Both of those passes and plays were terrific from both Allen and Foster. I loved that in the huddle on the bomb Foster asked for "a landmark" and Josh said "the bottom of the forty" and that's exactly where Foster and the ball went and the catch was made.

Hadn't that last part--even more impressive!

Did anyone watch the TD throw to Foster?

Both of these throws Allen gets hit simultaneously as the ball is leaving his hand.

In fact, on the TD throw to Foster I think he gets hit a split second before his release.

I want our OL to protect him better, but just watching him make throws like that brings tears to my eyes.

Will-Ferrell-Celebrating.gif

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nice throw, but his height wasn't a factor.  O-line gave him enough time to hop a bit and pat the ball.  What's impressive is that Foster likely wasn't likely his first read, given the time it took to release.

On the bomb he was the second read. Josh said after the game that he thought Ramsey was going to jump Zay Jones curl route, which he started to, then he decided to look for Foster. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

I don't want to sound like I'm piling on Tyrod because I liked him as a player, but there were several throws last week that Allen made because he's got the height to not only see over the rush, but also to get the proper ark on the ball. Taylor couldn't do that so it's nice to see this. I agree with the OP that this throw was quality stuff.

Agreed, and we just need to be patient with him.  I’ve said this many times, but remember Peyton Manning was 3-13, but our great GM, BILL POLIAN stuck with him.

We can still win some games this year, and create momentum for next year.

5 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

I think it is safe to assume that everyone has seen the TD bomb to Foster and justfiably so that play is getting much attention as an example of JA climbing pocket and throwing a strike.

While that throw was incredible.. the 19 yd throw to Foster shown below from 3q  :12 mark is even better IMO

wMPiuSW.gif

Both are excellent throws, so cant really fault anyone for voting one way or the other.  I voted for the TD though for 2 reasons...

1 - Josh got smashed between two defenders hard the second he threw the bomb and had to step into a pocket that was collapsing to make the throw and yet still fired that thing on a rope.  I don't know how many QB's can actually make that throw to be honest, and I would guess not many as that was just an Elite pass.  Where as the 3rd down throw is an excellent NFL throw, but one I would expect more QB's to be capable of making. 

2 - He hit Foster pretty much in stride for a TD.  Given how he got smashed, other QB's likely put more air on the ball there and might have been enough time for defender to close more to be in position to make a score saving tackle rather than Foster racing down sideline at full speed for the score.  

9 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

wMPiuSW.gif

in the one he gets his guy killed in crossing over the middle into "incoming  duck ! " coverage. horrible throw. amazing catch !

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The bomb to Foster was one of the most impressive plays I've ever seen on a physical level. The other throw to Foster was more impressive on a mental level and those are the throws he'll need to make consistently to move the chains. So I get what you're saying but the bomb was still the best throw of the game. Good chance it will end up being one of the best throws of his career when all is said and done.

certainly one hell of a play call ! and hell's bells' that was one of the most exciting starts i have seen. ever. that i can recall anyways.
Watching the WR actually track that ball was awesome when running that fast.
watch out world. we might have sometin' goin on

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Obviously....I agree.

but having guys that can catch his passes are equally important.  Catching a laser from Josh Allen is different than catching a laser by other QBs.  It just is.  We’ve dropped SEVERAL this year that should’ve been caught.  We need speed but more importantly, imo, is having at least one go to WR with elite hands.  At least one.   

Both of those passes were ridiculous.  Hopefully he can keep this up.  His numbers weren’t great Sunday, but he played a great game and would’ve had legit stats if not for drops and penalties 

Both Augster and you have very good points

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed, and we just need to be patient with him.  I’ve said this many times, but remember Peyton Manning was 3-13, but our great GM, BILL POLIAN stuck with him.

We can still win some games this year, and create momentum for next year.

yes

you have said that many many times. lol

:  )

momentum is big . its gift that lasts and keeps giving. But you know that already. Confidence , and gaining it are great for a young team

• Like (+1) 1