Bills QB Josh Allen is changing skeptical minds. ---- Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

3 hours ago, eball said:

Beware the preemptive "QBR is a joke" responses...but that said, it is the one "ranking" that at least tries to incorporate a QB's entire game and not just his passing prowess.  There's no question Josh needs to improve in that area, and I think he will with a better OL and surrounding cast of skill players.  It is indisputable, however, that over the last three games Allen has almost singlehandedly given the Bills a chance to win, and that's what being a "total" QB is all about.

It’s an interesting idea for a star but he is flawed.  Qbs who run a lot aren’t going to last long in this league.  Regular qb rating is also a flawed stat as well.

imo, Allen is basically the guy I thought he was and had ranked with Lamar Jackson (he is much faster than I ever imagine though).  All the physical tools but his passing needs some major work.  Hopefully upgrades on offense will aid in his development.  I still have my doubts on the “all the tools but struggles with accuracy” qbs but I hope I’m wrong and he takes a major step next year.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Beware the preemptive "QBR is a joke" responses...but that said, it is the one "ranking" that at least tries to incorporate a QB's entire game and not just his passing prowess.  There's no question Josh needs to improve in that area, and I think he will with a better OL and surrounding cast of skill players.  It is indisputable, however, that over the last three games Allen has almost singlehandedly given the Bills a chance to win, and that's what being a "total" QB is all about.

Never understood the hatred for QBR...its light years better and more accurate than the old QB Rating.  No rating is ever going to be perfect, because its impossible for stats to tell the whole story.  But its still by far the most useful and effective of the two ratings to gauge the effectiveness of a player.

My person theory is that the hatred on this board for QBR is rooted in Tyrod Taylor. QBR was always higher for Tyrod than QB Rating as it factored in the value and plays he made with his legs too.  So people who hated Tyrod always used to slam QBR because they hated anything that suggested Tyrod had any value.  

Reality is...QBR is substantially more useful in seeing how a QB is really affecting the game overall.  Its so much more accurate than QB Rating in determining the impact a QB is making out there week to week.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

If Allen keeps taking as many hits as he is there won't be any comparisons to make because he'll wind up on IR. 

For fantasy types, sure running the ball and scoring is nice.  It was fun to watch when Mike Vick did it too back in 2002 or so. Or Vince Young.  None of those guys got teams deep into the playoffs consistently.   

11 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

If Allen keeps taking as many hits as he is there won't be any comparisons to make because he'll wind up on IR. 

For fantasy types, sure running the ball and scoring is nice.  It was fun to watch when Mike Vick did it too back in 2002 or so. Or Vince Young.  None of those guys got teams deep into the playoffs consistently.   

If you listened to Allen's press conference; he's not looking to run.  Just a by product of him going through his progressions, no one open (his perception), and his internal clock and defensive rush coming to.  He said if he runs for 100 or runs for 2, he just wants to win.  People want him to quit running, but why?  If that is what the defense gives him, what is wrong with a 25 yard scamper and slide?  Baffles me when you have a QB who can create more time and space with his legs if needed and people want him to stop.  As his passing improves, man talking about one of the greatest dual threat QBs to come around.  Some of his hardest hits came on sacks where three players absolutely crushed him.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If you listened to Allen's press conference; he's not looking to run.  Just a by product of him going through his progressions, no one open (his perception), and his internal clock and defensive rush coming to.  He said if he runs for 100 or runs for 2, he just wants to win.  People want him to quit running, but why?  If that is what the defense gives him, what is wrong with a 25 yard scamper and slide?  Baffles me when you have a QB who can create more time and space with his legs if needed and people want him to stop.  As his passing improves, man talking about one of the greatest dual threat QBs to come around.  Some of his hardest hits came on sacks where three players absolutely crushed him.

You're absolutely correct: he's taken far worse hits IN THE POCKET.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Like (+1) 4

I'm getting a little tired of the JA carried the offense narrative.

The best QB'd game we've had all season was when Barkley gave others a chance to make plays. Allen needs to do that more often. Hero ball doesn't play in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We want him to stay in the pocket and throw

He takes bad hits every time he does

That has to change

Does he ever even stay in the pocket, step up, and deliver the ball? I haven't seen it. He's got to stop bailing so early. I get that the line is subpar, but he tends to feel pressure that doesn't even exist. There's a good chance that with a better line will come confidence, but JA needs to do his part as well.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The best QB'd game we've had all season was when Barkley gave others a chance to make plays. Allen needs to do that more often. Hero ball doesn't play in the NFL.

Does he ever even stay in the pocket, step up, and deliver the ball? I haven't seen it. He's got to stop bailing so early. I get that the line is subpar, but he tends to feel pressure that doesn't even exist. There's a good chance that with a better line will come confidence, but JA needs to do his part as well.

Pretty sure nobody cares what you're tired of...are you special or something?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We want him to stay in the pocket and throw

He takes bad hits every time he does

That has to change

Of course we do.  

But when he has a 5 foot hole in front of him I won’t mind as long as he avoids the hit

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Brady Quinn apparently prefers potential over results

Former Browns quarterback turned analyst would take Buffalo’s Josh Allen over Baker Mayfield if he were starting a team.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/platform/amp/2018/12/12/18138343/cleveland-browns-quinn-mayfield-potential-results

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You haven't seen him stay in the pocket and deliver the ball because you don't want to see it.  For some odd reason it appears you do not want the Bills QB to be successful.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You have never seen him stay in the pocket and deliver the ball? Then stop talking in this thread since you never watched him play.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

You haven't seen him stay in the pocket and deliver the ball because you don't want to see it.  For some odd reason it appears you do not want the Bills QB to be successful.

I realized many years ago that I could not control Bills games telepathically. God knows I tried.

I visit this message board to objectively analyze the team; not to cheerlead.

yes, when he has had time he has made tremendous throws from the pocket... See 2min drill vs Phins. TD bomb to Foster vs Jags. Second TD to Zay vs Phins.

"The best QB'd game we've had all season was when Barkley gave others a chance to make plays." Must help when the line was holding up for once, and we actually had a running game....

And actually I would argue the best QB'd game we have seen all year was Josh Allen vs Minnesota. We had such a lead he only threw the ball 2 times in the whole second half.

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You have never seen him stay in the pocket and deliver the ball? Then stop talking in this thread since you never watched him play.

Ok Josh. I would like to see you stay in the pocket and deliver the ball instead of bailing MORE OFTEN! You've obviously done it on occasion.

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I realized many years ago that I could not control Bills games telepathically. God knows I tried.

I visit this message board to objectively analyze the team; not to cheerlead.

If you were being objective you would realize there have been many times Allen has hung in the pocket and delivered a strike.  As an example the 75 yard bomb to Foster.

You don't see it because you don't want to see it.  So spare me your objectivity nonsense.

Yeah, OK.

Right off the top of my head, there is the Foster pass against the Jags.

If Allen drops back and sees nobody open, he’s going to start moving because he knows that will buy himself and receivers more time to make plays. His eyes are always down field. I’ve yet to see him looking at the rush so your take is simply ignorant to what is really happening.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you were being objective you would realize there have been many times Allen has hung in the pocket and delivered a strike.  As an example the 75 yard bomb to Foster.

You don't see it because you don't want to see it.  So spare me your objectivity nonsense.

The opposite is also true.  Believe it or not, it’s not the entire rest of the offense’s fault every time Allen makes a bad play.

this, like every qb debate, becomes a stupid political debate.  There are the “homers” who blame everyone else, ignore his faults, and make excuses.  He has 2 tds in a game, people say he will be a top 10 qb.  Then there are the “haters” who ignore how hard it is to be a rookie QBs, the awful offense (which the guys who picked Allen created), and say he will be a bust.

i try to remain in the middle.  I’m not a fan of upside, low production college qbs.  Especially in the top 10 of a draft.  I can clearly see the potential but I worry that we will keep talking about his upside while he struggles to consistently reach it.  But let’s hope that the guys which trade for Kelvin Benjamin and Jordan Matthews gets him real receivers so we can stop excuse making and just evaluate him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1