Nice game but Allen needs to pass

Niagara Dude

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Running quarterbacks won't last in the NFL, even EJ Manhole was hurt sliding.

I waited the entire game for Sean McDermott to pull Josh Allen aside and give him a good tougue lashing but it never happened.

If this continues I doubt Josh Allen finishes the season

He's taking risks for sure and odds are he'll get hurt if he doesn't learn to avoid contact better.  Gotta love the stiff arm he gave to #91 on the touchdown run. 

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Running quarterbacks won't last in the NFL, even EJ Manhole was hurt sliding.

I waited the entire game for Sean McDermott to pull Josh Allen aside and give him a good tougue lashing but it never happened.

If this continues I doubt Josh Allen finishes the season

Hard to say.  If he was doing this a few years ago, he might get split open from the top down,

but I think defenses are leery now of really laying into a QB -- even a running QB.

This may actually be the correct 'penalty climate' for him to run more and get away with minimal damage.

On 11/25/2018 at 2:11 PM, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

Ummm he threw a lot of good pass's, Thompson dropped one and penalties killed a few, quit looking at the stats

You add these 3 throws and Josh throws for near 250. I have no problem him running as long as he's exhausted all throwing options. With time his scrambles will decline. 

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im more than cool with his completion % being what it was on Sunday if he is averaging close to 20 yards per completion(I know a lot of that is a result from his 75 yarder to Foster) and picking up first downs and TDs with his legs.... he just needs to realize trying to run over defenders in this league is going to eventually get him hurt. He will learn. 

Who are you and what have you done with ScottLaw?!?

I jest 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Never in my life have I seen such an overreaction to 8 completed passes. 8 of 19 nonetheless. 

You should try watching the games. 

Brady and Mariota couldn’t do squat vs the jags 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Never in my life have I seen such an overreaction to 8 completed passes. 8 of 19 nonetheless. 

If you watched the game and that is basically what you came out of it with, then you need to start watching a different sport. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

If you watched the game and that is basically what you came out of it with, then you need to start watching a different sport. 

I did watch. I saw a great 75 yard touchdown pass and some nice runs. Am I supposed to be head over heels that this is our guy? No. 8/19, 160, 1-0. Again .. no.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:06 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Great team win and Allen made some huge throws and ran for over 100yards,  end of the day i do not want my franchise QB focused on running the football.  For Allen to become a great franchise QB he needs to throw the ball and more plays to need to be called to throw the ball and not run.  This is a passing league, and ground and pound is for losers  the great teams pass for 300yards on weekly basis and we struggle to make it to 200 yards. Yes the receivers suck but we need to stay committed to becoming a pass first team.  Even finishing this season focused on passing the ball and establishing ourselves as a pass first team will help signing potential free agent WR'S.

The line had a rough time stopping the Jags pass rush. We'll see what he does in future weeks against less talented defensive lines.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Im more than cool with his completion % being what it was on Sunday if he is averaging close to 20 yards per completion(I know a lot of that is a result from his 75 yarder to Foster) and picking up first downs and TDs with his legs.... he just needs to realize trying to run over defenders in this league is going to eventually get him hurt. He will learn. 

Right - seeing him run maybe fun but he needs to avoid the hits and maybe slide a tad earlier if it means an avoided hit. 

4 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

I did watch. I saw a great 75 yard touchdown pass and some nice runs. Am I supposed to be head over heels that this is our guy? No. 8/19, 160, 1-0. Again .. no.

If you watched then you know multiple big time passes were called back due to oline penalties, a huge 30 yard pass was straight up dropped by the WR, and Allen threw the ball away smartly a few times, all hurting his completion percentage. There was some good football by him not captured in the box score or individual stats.

He had a good game against a very good defense. His team needed to help him more. He overcame a lot of obstacles, and yes, used his feet to do it on occasion.

But he absolutely needs to improve, as all rookies do.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

But there is no harm in recognizing that the kid has moxie, doesnt appear flustered, is not making too many bone-headed mistakes and is picking up things pretty fast. Or do you have a hidden bias of him being a bad QB ?

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Right - seeing him run maybe fun but he needs to avoid the hits and maybe slide a tad earlier if it means an avoided hit. 

Eh, I think he did fine. He's got a big frame like Cam Newton.

Just think about this as well: if Allen doesn't escape the pocket and scramble on a lot of those plays, the pass rush gets to him and smashes him. The biggest hit he took Sunday was when he stood strong in the pocket and delivered the deep TD bomb to Foster. That was a brutal hit from 3 different defenders.

No matter how you play the game, you're going to get hit sometimes (and injured).

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But there is no harm in recognizing that the kid has moxie, doesnt appear flustered, is not making too many bone-headed mistakes and is picking up things pretty fast. Or do you have a hidden bias of him being a bad QB ?

Or recognizing that there were 3-4 nice throws taken back because of penalties. Maybe another drop or two (I’m fuzzy on that). The point is, I’m not looking for greatness or perfection, just PROGRESS. That looked like progress to me. Before he goy hurt, he really needed some time off. It was all going too fast, and sliding down a dangerously slippery slope, in my eye. THIS looked better. It’s all I’m hoping for. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

No hidden bias. Love his attitude and toughness. I will wait until he displays accuracy and awareness on a consistent basis before I believe he can sustain success in the NFL. Quite rational if you ask me.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

No matter how you play the game, you're going to get hit sometimes (and injured).

I recognize that his scrambling (and now rushing) skills are a big asset. But him being the crown jewel, I would rather forego a first down if it helps keep him healthy. 

9 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

No hidden bias. Love his attitude and toughness. I will wait until he displays accuracy and awareness on a consistent basis before I believe he can sustain success in the NFL. Quite rational if you ask me.

Of course we need to wait before we proclaim him to be our long term answer. But as Augie and several others have said, all you look for in a rookie is continued progress. It's undeniable that he is showing that and, last Sunday , it was against a good defense. 

37 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I mostly agree.

The difference is Tyrod is a 9 year vet and Josh is an extremely raw rookie who just finished his 6th start of his career. 

Still, it is comical that people are praising Josh for those runs and would absolutely destroy the "running back playing QB" in Tyrod for doing the same thing. 

Because Tyrod couldn’t do that vs Jax perhaps