Who recalls this game from Thanksgiving in 1976?

Another Fan

'73 was historic for OJ because of 2,003 yards, '75 may have been a better season, he ran for 1,817 and had over 400 yards receiving (he had 70 in '73) and 23 TDs which I think set the record at the time (14 games remember). Then he was excellent again in '76, had 1,500+ yards in 13 games. He had 6,448 yards in 55 games from '73-76,  that's 1,612 yards a season, 117 yards a game, probably the greatest 4 year stretch ever by a RB. Jim Brown's best 4 consecutive years were 5,849 in 52 games, 112.5 per game. 

OJ was amazing, I remember those years well. 

11 hours ago, mannc said:

Umm, no, it’s not.

The term vast majority means around 90% or more, so if you really believe that over 90% of Bills fans were hoping for a guy who was selected in the 11th round with the 1st overall pick is ludicrous.

Some fans thought this, sure, I'll give you that, but it was no vast majority or even close to a regular majority.. It was just some fans.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, The Drought said:

The term vast majority means around 90% or more, so if you really believe that over 90% of Bills fans were hoping for a guy who was selected in the 11th round with the 1st overall pick is ludicrous.

Some fans thought this, sure, I'll give you that, but it was no vast majority or even close to a regular majority.. It was just some fans.

The News ran a poll that year and, as I recall, Flutie garnered around 80 percent of the vote.

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

The News ran a poll that year and, as I recall, Flutie garnered around 80 percent of the vote.

he touched something in the heart (certainly not the brain) of fans who feel that life hasn't been fair to them

i never understood drooling over him (even to this day) for one second for the NFL

great CFL QB

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

many would say Barry was the most elusive? I wasn't his biggest fan because of the negative yards and short yardage situations.

to me barry was the best and God only knows what his career could have been like.  anyway, my fandom started one snowy december day in 1973.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

to me barry was the best and God only knows what his career could have been like.  anyway, my fandom started one snowy december day in 1973.

Eric Dickerson was an amazing RB in form and accomplishment

running with your back mostly straight was a big deal to me....

Ricky Williams had the form and style to be another great but the RB role was ruined by the time he came around,

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, The Drought said:

I thought Ralph wanted to take Flutie #1, but after taking a quick look, I don’t see any mention of that, just this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1985/01/14/usfl-offer-to-flutie-1-million/c18e8f24-090d-4233-a3f7-a84b327aba84/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e4491c7aa670

Just now, Rico said:

I thought Ralph wanted to take Flutie #1, but after taking a quick look, I don’t see any mention of that, just this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1985/01/14/usfl-offer-to-flutie-1-million/c18e8f24-090d-4233-a3f7-a84b327aba84/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e4491c7aa670

As I recall, Flutie signed with the USFL before the NFL draft, so he wasn’t really an option for the Bills by the time the draft came around.  Maybe NE used a late round pick on him, but I don’t remember how that went down.

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

As I recall, Flutie signed with the USFL before the NFL draft, so he wasn’t really an option for the Bills by the time the draft came around.  Maybe NE used a late round pick on him, but I don’t remember how that went down.

11th round pick by the Rams, traded his rights to the Bears.

8 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Blah, blah, blah.  Yes the past few years have been frustrating.  But in none of those years were the Bills anywhere near as bad as some of  us older fans remember.  And since you feel the need to bring the Sabres up so you can wallow in your misery, they made some bad decisions, but now seem to have figured it out.  Unless a 7 win streak is bad.

You see, us older, more mature folks are able to deal wth things better than your generation.  The younger generation that gets participation trophies and has their helicopter parents and their cell phones think they should have everything they want exactly the way they want and exactly when they want it has trouble understanding there are ups and downs in life.

Bills made the playoffs last year.  They have drafted their hopeful QB of the future and have a structure in place to continue to build a contender.  As do the Sabres.  Good to see.

I have to agree with Bado here...  I lived through the 80's (actually the 70's too, but was a bit young to really remember football games). The mid 80s sucked for the Bills, sure.  But thats a couple years in between a very good couple of years.  Even the 70's and the domination of the Fins, do not compare to the nearly 2 decades of bad football we're still watching.  

This isn't a hot pocket, I think we should win every year kind of notion. The Bills have been irrelevant for nearly 2 decades!  We finally make the playoffs, after going 9-7, and follow that up by putting up some of the worst performances in NFL history since then.    Whatever hope we all had last January, is all but gone.

Sure, we have the QB of the future and lots of picks and whatever... But, may I remind you, that's all based on hope and speculation.  Allen, for as much as myself and everyone wants him to be the QB of the future, has shown extremely little this year.  I mean like, less than Barkley little!   So, forgive some of us folks ..that aren't so young.. if we put it all in perspective, recognize that we're still very much in the quagmire of being a losing franchise and haven't started counting all of Allen's wins already.   To say that '84 and '85 were way worse, is ignoring the context of the last 18 years.  

7 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

'73 was historic for OJ because of 2,003 yards, '75 may have been a better season, he ran for 1,817 and had over 400 yards receiving (he had 70 in '73) and 23 TDs which I think set the record at the time (14 games remember). Then he was excellent again in '76, had 1,500+ yards in 13 games. He had 6,448 yards in 55 games from '73-76,  that's 1,612 yards a season, 117 yards a game, probably the greatest 4 year stretch ever by a RB. Jim Brown's best 4 consecutive years were 5,849 in 52 games, 112.5 per game. 

OJ was amazing, I remember those years well. 

Those numbers are simply astounding!  I've never seen it summarized like that.   Judging players and decided who's the greatest often depends on the individual and the fond memories we grow up with.  But, there's simply no denying that OJ belongs in the top 2 of any discussion of the best RBs ever.   

21 hours ago, Augie said:

Met my wife in 84, got married in February, 1985. Not too long after she asked “why do you do this to yourself?” 

It was a fair question. The next generation carries it on. It may be genetic? 

On my second date with my now wife, I picked her up at her place and met her parents for the first time wearing a Miami Hurricanes jersey. Her dad was pretty cordial at that point. When they finally learned that I was a Bills fan, I think he flat out felt sorry for me and let me do as I wish with his daughter to keep my mind off football. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

On my second date with my now wife, I picked her up at her place and met her parents for the first time wearing a Miami Hurricanes jersey. Her dad was pretty cordial at that point. When they finally learned that I was a Bills fan, I think he flat out felt sorry for me and let me do as I wish with his daughter to keep my mind off football. 

Does she have any sisters??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

division 3 !? How could they have been serious.

Guess you'll have to click the link I left and buy that issue on ebay?

I really don't know why SI had an issue with Bo. But their campaign must have had some impact, Dudek got 12 first place votes that year to go along with 4 second and 12 third place votes. Jackson won a close race with Chuck Long, Iowa qb. I believe at the time it was the closest race ever, could be mistaken on that.

24 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Guess you'll have to click the link I left and buy that issue on ebay?

I really don't know why SI had an issue with Bo. But their campaign must have had some impact, Dudek got 12 first place votes that year to go along with 4 second and 12 third place votes. Jackson won a close race with Chuck Long, Iowa qb. I believe at the time it was the closest race ever, could be mistaken on that.

Extreme cynicism by writers in those days, they thought atrackig Bo was really witty

the worst joke was handing BYU the college title after they beat 6-win Michigan in the Holiday Bowl

dudek was a sick joke option

the revenge is SI has been totally irrelevant for 20 years now....