ESPN Sucks

John in Jax

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Living close to the border, I remember years ago watching NFL games via antenna on both the US networks as well as Global here in Canada, feed provided by the US network.  Global found a way to shoehorn ads for Canadian advertisers into the video feeds.  Whereas the US viewer was looking at the actual view of the stadium scoreboard and surrounding structure, Global had superimposed a 'Pizza Pizza' ad (or similar) that made the viewer think the advertisement was actually in the stadium.

I remember that and how tacky it looked

33 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think they still do it

I know watching baseball that sometimes behind the catcher, the ads on the wall are just green screens that the network can put their own ads onto

Sabres games too.  Behind the nets.  Like La Nova, etc... Green screen their ads in each period.  Same with space on the boards, there is a green screen.

The old days were nice.  When it was so clean, no ads everywhere.  It brutal watching a computer added ad. Doesnt even look real. Distracting the game along the boards and behind the nets.

The NHL will forever be tacky and bush league with all the tinkering, rule changes, advertising, etc...

On 11/22/2018 at 8:51 AM, plenzmd1 said:

little secret..there is a special channel called THE NHL NETWORK that is 100% hockey..and they have a little show called ON THE FLY...

ESPN shows no hockey cause 98% of sports fans don't care a wit about hockey till at least after the Super Bowl..and most likely not until the playoffs start

This is not true.  They don't show it because they don't have license to do NHL games, so they don't care about it.  They only show stuff that they air.  I mean, come on, they show WNBA highlights for heaven's sake, you think that is more popular than the NHL?  No way.  They show them because they broadcast that league and they are trying to shove down our throats that it is actually watchable so they can get some ratings.  Same with women's college basketball.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:46 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

They cater to the market. The show meets the demand. Hockey is a regional sport. I know a lot of big, big sports fans in the south and they couldn’t name 5 NHL players. I’m talking guys that have season tickets. ESPN will ALWAYS be football and the NBA. That’s the demand. 

They actually have the NHL again. They air games on ESPN+. 

And they have a hockey show on it too i believe.  Different platform I guess so they show some love.

They soaked a ton into baseball refusing to

listen to the fact that nobody cares about watching a game unless it’s their team or the Yankees playing

a continual quarterly bloodbath has flown on this fiasco

On 11/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

CBS sux... With this Barry Sanders dream thing...

I am still hoping that sometime, in the not too distant future, we have the viewing option of absolutely no commentating. Just ambient crowd/stadium/arena noise. Enhanced stats/graphics. Digital age it should be possible. DTV have on occasion broadcast 4K games like this. In between periods is just a static shot of the crowd.

Maybe some halftime or intermission features but that's it. 

With 4K quality now it would be so enjoyable. We don't need commentators and talking heads filling dead air when we are at the game why do we need them now?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dante said:

I am still hoping that sometime, in the not too distant future, we have the viewing option of absolutely no commentating. Just ambient crowd/stadium/arena noise. Enhanced stats/graphics. Digital age it should be possible. DTV have on occasion broadcast 4K games like this. In between periods is just a static shot of the crowd.

Maybe some halftime or intermission features but that's it. 

With 4K quality now it would be so enjoyable. We don't need commentators and talking heads filling dead air when we are at the game why do we need them now?

That was tried before.

51 minutes ago, sherpa said:

That was tried before.

it was the best, the media hated the idea and wrote all 100,000 pieces against it on the Thursday before the game was played on Sunday

I'd like to have the option of getting rid of certain people on the broadcast team.

Edited by row_33

On 11/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, Jrb1979 said:

Why else do most Americans not watch it. IMO hockey is the best sport there is. It has speed, hard hits and fights. Whats not to like. 

I agree to you to an extent.  However, love of the Sabres has really tested that idea for me.  They were so bad the last 5-7 years, my love of hockey was hangning  by a thread the last two seasons. I have been buying Center Ice every year as long as it has been available (2001 I think)  When the Sabres are good, I watched anywhere from 50-70 games a year.  The last two seasons, however, I probably watched a total of about 30 games total. As the Sabres sucked ass, my interest in other teams wained.   As much as I love the game, when it is played well, really bad hockey is not easy to watch.  Sometimes, its' flukiness bothers me.. so far so good this year!

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buftex said:

I agree to you to an extent.  However, love of the Sabres has really tested that idea for me.  They were so bad the last 5-7 years, my love of hockey was hangning  by a thread the last two seasons.  As much as I love the game, when it is played well, really bad hockey is not easy to watch.  Sometimes, its' flukiness bothers me...but it is a great game.

I can understand not watching the team when they are bad. Overall hockey is a great sport and its a shame more Americans don't like it. 

11 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I can understand not watching the team when they are bad. Overall hockey is a great sport and its a shame more Americans don't like it. 

The answer is simple, they didn’t grow up with the game. The overwhelming majority of Americans didn’t grow up playing hockey. They didn’t grow up with friends that played. In terms of participation in this country it is well behind things like golf, track, swimming, etc... It is expensive to play and regionlized to a great degree. There are places in this country (I live in one) where it is like cricket. The people don’t know the players, the rules, etc... It isn’t even on the radar. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The answer is simple, they didn’t grow up with the game. The overwhelming majority of Americans didn’t grow up playing hockey. They didn’t grow up with friends that played. In terms of participation in this country it is well behind things like golf, track, swimming, etc... It is expensive to play and regionlized to a great degree. There are places in this country (I live in one) where it is like cricket. The people don’t know the players, the rules, etc... It isn’t even on the radar. 

as a quiet cricket fan I watched the women's T20 world cup the last few weeks, strangely enough not a single lbw call or challenge was made

not sure if that's a feature of T20 in general...

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, Risto’s goal led off SVP and Barry and Scott were gushing bout the Sabres. They have some huge Buffalo fan apparently on their crew ... and they kinda have fun with that. But SVP loves Buffalo and the fans, and even he said Buffalo fans deserve this. 

On 11/27/2018 at 7:34 AM, row_33 said:

as a quiet cricket fan I watched the women's T20 world cup the last few weeks, strangely enough not a single lbw call or challenge was made

not sure if that's a feature of T20 in general...

Ha ha, I actually learned the rules of cricket on a cruise ship from an Aussie. It was funny because the Australians, the people from India and the West Indies all said that the others didn’t know what they were talking about. I’m by no means an expert but have a working knowledge of what’s happening and I kinda like it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ha ha, I actually learned the rules of cricket on a cruise ship from an Aussie. It was funny because the Australians, the people from India and the West Indies all said that the others didn’t know what they were talking about. I’m by no means an expert but have a working knowledge of what’s happening and I kinda like it.

Certain rules aren’t really defineable....

46 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Sitting a sandwich shop waiting for my sandwich and they have ESPN on

It's just a bunch of guys screaming over each other overly dramatic to prove their points

it's totally useless to anyone pre-internet, who can bother sorting them out

it must be prehistoric to the internet age people

ESPN's creative vignettes about players, situations, etc. are just dreck.  The original format covered the range of sports nationally with some nods to international athletics; acceptable in that segments were short  and to the point.  Today's bird walks into the forest of statistics, social affairs and such are just too much for long-time listeners/watchers, e.g., the Beats segment.

40 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

ESPN's creative vignettes about players, situations, etc. are just dreck.  The original format covered the range of sports nationally with some nods to international athletics; acceptable in that segments were short  and to the point.  Today's bird walks into the forest of statistics, social affairs and such are just too much for long-time listeners/watchers, e.g., the Beats segment.

all the info means that you don't have to watch the game, you just look up a stat and attack people who actually watched the game

which really sucks

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The endless parade of:

Tiger

LeBron

Yankees

Red Sox

'Melo

Celtics

Knicks

Dallas Cowboys

SEC football

Duke basketball

European soccer

Etc.

It's much more English Premiership than "European soccer" in general.

For anyone interested in either, I wouldn't look to ESPN for information in any event.

• Like (+1) 1