McyD a coach of the year candidate?

Hebert19

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

IF the Bills winout then yeah maybe but at 3-7 and a highly unlikely chance of winning 6 in a row, that's probably not likely. 

Last 6 opponents

Jacksonville Tarps (3-6)

Dolphins (5-5) x2

Jets (3-7)

Lions (3-6)

Pats* (7-3)

4 of those games are at home

Not exactly murderers row here. Legitimately could see them finish 8-8 if Allen plays adequate football. That would be pretty impressive considering 5 of the 10 games so far have been started by players who were recently out of the NFL or are currently out of the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Last 6 opponents

Jacksonville Tarps (3-6)

Dolphins (5-5) x2

Jets (3-7)

Lions (3-6)

Pats* (7-3)

4 of those games are at home

Not exactly murderers row here. Legitimately could see them finish 8-8 if Allen plays adequate football. That would be pretty impressive considering 5 of the 10 games so far have been started by players who were recently out of the NFL or are currently out of the NFL

They will lose to the Pats who will likely need that game to push for a bye week. Winning 5 NFL games out of 6 for a mediocre team with a rookie QB isn't an easy task even if you have a great defense and a soft schedule. I am not saying its not possible to finish 8-8 and go 5-1 to end the season but odds are they are more likely to go 3-3 and finish 6-10 maybe 4-2 and they go 7-9 if they can sweep the Fish. Even if Allen plays competent he likely will have one horrid game in those 5 games and that's enough to lose one game right there. 

Personally I see a loss to the Pats, a split against the Fish, a split against the Jags and Lions, and a win against the Jets. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Must be they only considered coaches with a minimum of a 1,000 claps while on the sideline. 

Yes guy should be named coach of the year considering all the blisters he should have on his hands!

BILLS MENTIONED IN NATIONAL MEDIA.

5:55

Skip: Robert Woods reminds me of Terrell Owens he plays so hard on every play and leaves it all on the field!

Shannon: Skip, can you BELIEVE the Buffalo Bills had Robert Woods, Watkins and Goodwin??

Dickerson getting back on point: yeah but they don't have Sean McVay.

We got the wrong Sean McY

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

They will lose to the Pats who will likely need that game to push for a bye week. Winning 5 NFL games out of 6 for a mediocre team with a rookie QB isn't an easy task even if you have a great defense and a soft schedule. I am not saying its not possible to finish 8-8 and go 5-1 to end the season but odds are they are more likely to go 3-3 and finish 6-10 maybe 4-2 and they go 7-9 if they can sweep the Fish. Even if Allen plays competent he likely will have one horrid game in those 5 games and that's enough to lose one game right there. 

Personally I see a loss to the Pats, a split against the Fish, a split against the Jags and Lions, and a win against the Jets. 

Oh I totally agree. I also think the Bills match up well against those teams, so I wouldnt be shocked if they went on a run here.  Especially with this defense, gives them a shot each week

Pats game will be tough, but they played them very hard on MNF. If DA could have mustered any offense, they could have won that game

18 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Oh I totally agree. I also think the Bills match up well against those teams, so I wouldnt be shocked if they went on a run here.  Especially with this defense, gives them a shot each week

Pats game will be tough, but they played them very hard on MNF. If DA could have mustered any offense, they could have won that game

4-2 would be a hell of a run but that's the best I could see them doing honestly. The Pats will need that game and I trust Tom Brady in a grind it out defensive struggle more than Allen at this stage of their careers so while I don't rule out the team winning its not very likely. I also think you underestimate the fluky nature of the NFL. In 6 games your team is likely to come out flat one game or run into a much better gameplan. Plus a rookie QB is likely to have a bad game or two which kills your chances of a 6 game winning streak.  

The Bills are simply in too big of a hole to make a serious run. Had they won the Texans game (Which would put them at 4-6) I would have given this team an outside shot to go 5-1 to finish the year 10-6 and possibly get into the playoffs. But 5-1 puts this team at 8-8 and even 6-0 puts them at 9-7. Looking at the AFC playoff picture the Chargers are likely going to finish 10-6 or better and take the first wildcard. The Titans and Bengals are both sitting at 5-4 and odds are one of them will get to 9-7. So 8-8 isn't likely to get you in. 

I am more so hoping for strong player development as the season ends. Give me the young defensive players and Teller, Zay, and Allen all playing well in 3-4 wins and I will be happy going into next season when the team can add some pieces to the offense maybe add a piece to complete the defense and go for a run in 2019.

On 11/14/2018 at 8:34 PM, Hebert19 said:

Didnt see this posted but at least a couple people think so. 

This will make some people lose it.  Ha

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/14/buffalo-bills-bleacher-report-pegs-sean-mcdermott-as-coach-of-the-year-candidate

need to edit your topic title and take the y out of McyD and make it McD.

CBSsports power rankings guy says "McDermott is doing phenomenal as a coach with the talent he has"

Not sure how I feel about having that said on 2-7 team if I believe it. Means without having the coach of the year good god we're horrible.. I want a medium: rookie coach improvong not perfect. Roster improving not perfect.

It seems like every third game this team comes out unprepared and gets destroyed. On top of that, they still take the same dumb penalties that they did when Rex was here. His late game management in regards to the clock and 4th downs leaves a lot to be desired as well. 

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd bring this one back up.  And again.  No I dont think hes even close to the coach of the year.  But I think hes closer to that than being fired as a few on here implied.  And I'm not alone.  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/18/power-rankings-nfl-buffalo-bills-rise-as-far-as-six-spots-in-week-16-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott/amp/

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Thought I'd bring this one back up.  And again.  No I dont think hes even close to the coach of the year.  But I think hes closer to that than being fired as a few on here implied.  And I'm not alone.  

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/18/power-rankings-nfl-buffalo-bills-rise-as-far-as-six-spots-in-week-16-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott/amp/

He's closer to being Sportswoman of the Year than he is to being fired.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

CBSsports power rankings guy says "McDermott is doing phenomenal as a coach with the talent he has"

Not sure how I feel about having that said on 2-7 team if I believe it. Means without having the coach of the year good god we're horrible.. I want a medium: rookie coach improvong not perfect. Roster improving not perfect.

Prior to the season, everywhere you looked, analysts were predicting us to be the worst team in the league due to our terrible WRs and OL mixed with a rookie QB and sweet nate Pete.  55+ mill in dead cap.  We all knew this.  We were waiting for this upcoming offseason and our 85+ mill cap room and 10 draft picks to fill out Josh’s allens supporting cast.  

Picked to finsh last.  Finished much better than that and found possible core players in UDFA Foster and Levi Wallace, waiver claim McKenzie and late round picks Teller and  Johnson.  Looks like we’ve found our QB.  It wasn’t a great season and McDermott shouldn’t be a CoY candidate but I’m happy with this season all things considered.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NewEra said:

Prior to the season, everywhere you looked, analysts were predicting us to be the worst team in the league due to our terrible WRs and OL mixed with a rookie QB and sweet nate Pete.  55+ mill in dead cap.  We all knew this.  We were waiting for this upcoming offseason and our 85+ mill cap room and 10 draft picks to fill out Josh’s allens supporting cast.  

Picked to finsh last.  Finished much better than that and found possible core players in UDFA Foster and Levi Wallace, waiver claim McKenzie and late round picks Teller and  Johnson.  Looks like we’ve found our QB.  It wasn’t a great season and McDermott shouldn’t be a CoY candidate but I’m happy with this season all things considered.  

I've been critical of McDermott (not overly) throughout much of the season, but I think this is about as fair as an assessment one could give.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1