If Zay pans out, McD's first two drafts are awesome

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Disagree. He wasn’t generational at the time. In fact many observers thought the chiefs paid a steep price for a guy who was viewed as physically gifted but raw. Many people praised the Bills for the move down. 

The bottom line is that the FO was in flux and you can’t ask a brand new head coach with a lame duck GM and their lame duck college scouting to take a QB at 10. If they were picking at 1 and Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning we’re there, maybe you’d be correct. But not the situation in 2017. 

So if there is blame I’d put it on ownership who hired a coach first with a dead man walking GM and waited until after the draft to bring in the new GM. 

And just for good measure, here’s and article from April 2017 which gives a more balanced view of the kind of prospect Mahomes was in absence of 20/20 hindsight. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/4/17/15326962/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-patrick-mahomes-stock-rising-texans-cardinals

I stated he was a generational talent. Numerous times. All anybody had to do was watch the kid. Generational. Far superior to Andrew Luck. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I stated he was a generational talent. Numerous times. All anybody had to do was watch the kid. Generational. Far superior to Andrew Luck. 

Thats your retort???  Jeez, at least try man. 

You’re either being incredibly stubborn or intellectually dishonest. Or.....you are jeffismagic....  ? 

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Thats your retort???  Jeez, at least try man. 

You’re either being incredibly stubborn or intellectually dishonest. Or.....you are jeffismagic....  ? 

Or I’m telling you what I wrote when he was coming out. I knew it was obvious how good Mahomes was. McDermott didn’t. That’s concerning to me. Keep your head in the sand, guy. 

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

It will be very interesting to see what they do with 10 picks, and 80 mil in cap space. 

....I'd bet McBeane already has a plan to defer some of that 80 to 2020 (think he can do it) and knows who the UFA's will be...just a thought............

4 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

If the Bills are smart, they'll draft a tackle high (or sign a top free agent) and move Dawkins to RT.  When a team is rebuilding, every third game can be a blowout.  It's called patience.

We're they rebuilding last year? McD might be a good coordinator, but as a head coach we still have similar problems from when Rex was here. Completely agree on Dawkins though. He and Glenn together would've been great.

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

No, I’m not using hindsight. We had an awful QB situation, we had a generational talent fall to us, and the man that thought Nate Peterman is NFL caliber passed on Mahomes for an extra first and a cover 2 CB. That’s stupid. That’s a stupid move. It’s fair to criticize.  

Are you drinking over this yet?   I feel like this has really affected you and am worried.

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

We're they rebuilding last year? McD might be a good coordinator, but as a head coach we still have similar problems from when Rex was here. Completely agree on Dawkins though. He and Glenn together would've been great.

We were rebiulding last year.....you didnt see the high priced players getting jettisoned for draft picks?

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Whaley's guys did all the player ratings and he should be given the credit for T Wite, D Dawkins, Z Jones and M Milano. McDermott may have had good input, but DW owned that draft.

I believe there was some scuttle about Carolina liking at least TWO of the guys we drafted....(Dawkins, Zay) and we swooped in ahead and took them......

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our GM wasn't even hired yet when Mahomes was drafted. Let's fire him for a move he wasn't here to make.

The organization should have consulted with JeffisMagic. The moral of the story is that zealots can be stupendously right.  Or another take away is that Andy Reid knows qbs.  

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you drinking over this yet?   I feel like this has really affected you and am worried.

I’m pissed about it. Yes. 

Draft generational QB or trade back for a cover 2 CB? McDermott committed the Billsiest move in Bills history. 

Just now, The_Dude said:

I’m pissed about it. Yes. 

Draft generational QB or trade back for a cover 2 CB? McDermott committed the Billsiest move in Bills history. 

I know we are never going to agree on this

You keep downplaying Tre White.....who is frankly one of the very best cover corners in the NFL.....we COULD have drafted a guy that busts at that pick.....the team has certainly done enough of that in the past or finding guys that dont play up to their 1st round draft selection.

Then you conveniently leave out the 1st round pick which turned into Josh Allen.....

Then you keep saing generational QB.....in that QBs first starting year.   There have been plenty of QBs that started hot and flamed out....I am not saying Mahommes is going to do that or that I even want to do that because KC deserves some good fortune as well

What I am saying is if Josh Allen turns into our franchise QB.....then we did not lose this trade....for some damn reason your automatically calling it a loss right here right now which is extremely short sighted.

Have another drink on me

3 hours ago, dubs said:

Disagree. He wasn’t generational at the time. In fact many observers thought the chiefs paid a steep price for a guy who was viewed as physically gifted but raw. Many people praised the Bills for the move down. 

The bottom line is that the FO was in flux and you can’t ask a brand new head coach with a lame duck GM and their lame duck college scouting to take a QB at 10. If they were picking at 1 and Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning we’re there, maybe you’d be correct. But not the situation in 2017. 

So if there is blame I’d put it on ownership who hired a coach first with a dead man walking GM and waited until after the draft to bring in the new GM. 

And just for good measure, here’s and article from April 2017 which gives a more balanced view of the kind of prospect Mahomes was in absence of 20/20 hindsight. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/4/17/15326962/2017-nfl-draft-quarterback-patrick-mahomes-stock-rising-texans-cardinals

I feel like thinking Mahomes was going to be who he is compares to people in the ‘60’s generation saying they were at Woodstock.

Very few had Mahomes as a real option for the Bills that draft.  Most would have lost it if we picked him in the first.

41 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know we are never going to agree on this

You keep downplaying Tre White.....who is frankly one of the very best cover corners in the NFL.....we COULD have drafted a guy that busts at that pick.....the team has certainly done enough of that in the past or finding guys that dont play up to their 1st round draft selection.

Then you conveniently leave out the 1st round pick which turned into Josh Allen.....

Then you keep saing generational QB.....in that QBs first starting year.   There have been plenty of QBs that started hot and flamed out....I am not saying Mahommes is going to do that or that I even want to do that because KC deserves some good fortune as well

What I am saying is if Josh Allen turns into our franchise QB.....then we did not lose this trade....for some damn reason your automatically calling it a loss right here right now which is extremely short sighted.

Have another drink on me

I like Tre even though I call him “Not Mahomes.”

Also, it concerns me that McDermott felt Allen was worth the 7th overall pick and Mahomes wasn’t worth the 10th. That’s very concerning. And if available evidence is to be investigated, McDermott has no clue what he’s doing at QB or how to evaluate them.