Hockey is fast paced for the casual sports fan

Jrb1979

I have often wondered why hockey and the NHL is not more popular in the U.S.  The more I think about the more I think it has to do with the fast pace of hockey. The other 3 top major sports in the U.S. are all slow paced. You can turn away from the action and not miss a thing. Hockey you have to be engaged into the game the whole time. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I have often wondered why hockey and the NHL is not more popular in the U.S.  The more I think about the more I think it has to do with the fast pace of hockey. The other 3 top major sports in the U.S. are all slow paced. You can turn away from the action and not miss a thing. Hockey you have to be engaged into the game the whole time. 

There's a few different factors, but this is one of them. Being a hockey fan in the south, this is the conclusion I've come to.

People down here didn't grow up where ice hockey could be played frequently. So the organic growth that started about 100+ years ago up north, never happened. Every small town in WNY has an ice rink. I live in the  greater Houston area. Much larger population, I know of three ice rinks around. I've personally never actually played ice hockey, but I've played street hockey, and went to watch my cousin play ice hockey, so I grew up around the game. Also grew up with hockey video games. Not to mention obviously, watching Sabres games.

The rules of the game are simple enough. The only complexities while watching a game with someone who didn't grow up around it, are explaining offsides, icing, powerplays etc. But the idea of shoot the puck into the net, is simple enough to grasp. But because of how fast paced it is, it's not just that you have to be paying attention. You have to have your eyes trained.

Know who they can pass it to, know when it is and isn't an opportune time to shoot. Just being able to follow the puck is a "skill" within itself. The problem with it is, that's not something you can really teach someone. It's just something that comes with watching the game and going with past experiences. So it can get overwhelming and turn people off to the game unless they're patient enough. 

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

There's a few different factors, but this is one of them. Being a hockey fan in the south, this is the conclusion I've come to.

People down here didn't grow up where ice hockey could be played frequently. So the organic growth that started about 100+ years ago up north, never happened. Every small town in WNY has an ice rink. I live in the  greater Houston area. Much larger population, I know of three ice rinks around. I've personally never actually played ice hockey, but I've played street hockey, and went to watch my cousin play ice hockey, so I grew up around the game. Also grew up with hockey video games. Not to mention obviously, watching Sabres games.

The rules of the game are simple enough. The only complexities while watching a game with someone who didn't grow up around it, are explaining offsides, icing, powerplays etc. But the idea of shoot the puck into the net, is simple enough to grasp. But because of how fast paced it is, it's not just that you have to be paying attention. You have to have your eyes trained.

Know who they can pass it to, know when it is and isn't an opportune time to shoot. Just being able to follow the puck is a "skill" within itself. The problem with it is, that's not something you can really teach someone. It's just something that comes with watching the game and going with past experiences. So it can get overwhelming and turn people off to the game unless they're patient enough. 

I have heard from quite a few people that have taken a person to their first game that they love it.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've talked to a bunch of people who said they've been to hockey games and had a fun time. But watching it on TV they get bored and/or confused. 

I find it a fun time but hard to keep track of things.   

At least on my TV I can pause and rewind and slow mo to see where the puck actually flew

56 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

This is exactly what  I concluded a few years ago.  I follow the Sabres, but I just don't watch them very much.

With basketball, you can pop in watch some, and really watch the end of the game to get 90% of what happened.

Baseball is so great on the radio.  I can be doing work and totally following a game at the same time.

Football is kind of in between.

But, hockey - unless you commit yourself to sitting there and watching the entire game, you really aren't getting it. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

How anyone gets board watching hockey is beyond me. Watching basketball and going up and down the court over and over is boring to me. 

Yeah, basketball you can tune into the last couple minutes and basically catch the game. The entire game sees lead changes all game and just goes back and forth scoring. At least with hockey they go back and forth but they dont score every time. I can see how that can bore some people. You would think soccer would be different, but unlike hockey, I find it even more boring cause the field is so much bigger and it's even less likely you will see a goal scored.

Baseball, like football, is slower because theres more strategy to the game. Baseball has more matchup play and is just slower pace on general.

And I think the reason for hockey not having a big American following is because it's a cold weather sport, and half the country isnt in a climate that is needed to play it. In almost all of Canada, winter are cold and snowy and most sports cant be played in those conditions, in the south you dont see much ice or snow so you can still play other sports later in the year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

You would think soccer would be different, but unlike hockey, I find it even more boring cause the field is so much bigger and it's even less likely you will see a goal scored.

This is true. With the size of the field, there's more running than any sort of shooting or passing. I respect the hell out of their athelticism, and it actually seems like it might be fun to play. But to watch it, is quite boring. I used to like to going to Blizzard games at HSBC. That was fun because they basically played on a hockey rink with AstroTurf. So there was less running, more passing, more shooting, and higher scoring games. 

You have to learn a whole new method of transportation to play hockey.  I always get the feeling that this turns people away.  People like to watch the games that they can play.  Learning to skate is something that a lot of people either don't have access to or don't want to put in the effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a long time hockey fan and player.  The brand of hockey we now have in the NHL regular season is incredibly boring to me.  There's no intensity in the games anymore and it's rare to find physical play.  

Most games have the atmosphere of a pre-season scrimmage.  

Playoffs are a different matter.  

As a sports fan viewing on TV, soccer is by far the best.  It has the strategy/mental component to the game that baseball does, while retaining the fluidity and action of hockey.

Zero commercials too, a brief halftime, and you know just how long it will take, more or less, to play the game...and it's not all freaking afternoon.

4 hour + baseball games these days are common.  That's absurd.

Football games are way too long and are literally a 3 + hour commercial that is interrupted, briefly, now and again, by the game of football.

Edited by Fadingpain

I think it's cost prohibitive... The way the game is played today.  I am not saying that is a thing in placed like Canada, where the infrastructure (rinks, etc...) have been in place for long time.

Anyway... It's a very expensive game for youths, getting rink time, etc... It's a skill the average person doesn't acquire, skating that is. SO, if you don't skate, have ever played... You show no interest, well most don't.  Now factor in the $$$$. The safety and equipment that is mandatory nowadays... And you have a niche game.

Soccer... A foot and a ball.  Basically the same orther games.  Baseball, is getting there with cost.  Yet, like hockey in Canada, the baseball infrastructure is here in the US.

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm a long time hockey fan and player.  The brand of hockey we now have in the NHL regular season is incredibly boring to me.  There's no intensity in the games anymore and it's rare to find physical play.  

Most games have the atmosphere of a pre-season scrimmage.  

Playoffs are a different matter.  

As a sports fan viewing on TV, soccer is by far the best.  It has the strategy/mental component to the game that baseball does, while retaining the fluidity and action of hockey.

Zero commercials too, a brief halftime, and you know just how long it will take, more or less, to play the game...and it's not all freaking afternoon.

4 hour + baseball games these days are common.  That's absurd.

Football games are way too long and are literally a 3 + hour commercial that is interrupted, briefly, now and again, by the game of football.

Soccer is absolute worst.  Snooze-fest.  To watch a 0-0 game.  Maybe we will catch somebody scoring 3 games from now.

But it's cheap... 3rd World loves that and the drone Europeans.  Maybe they come out for the tailgate... Oh wait, party to kill their boring existence with 90 minutes of filler.

But... It's a set 90 minutes.  LoL..

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 minutes ago, shrader said:

People like to watch the games that they can play.  Learning to skate is something that a lot of people either don't have access to or don't want to put in the effort.

That a big part of it, IMO.     

I played right through freshman year of college when I tore up my knee and hung up the skates.    Watching games with that kind of perspective is easy and enjoyable for me.  I usually look at guys without the puck, the goalie's positioning and anticipate/recognize situations even when the puck's not visible. 

I've tried to instill that knowledge and love of the game to my son, who never played, and he just sort of shrugs and smiles.    He'll watch games, but he doesn't 'see' them.    

Primary complaint is that people can't see the puck and find the rules difficult to understand.  These issues are compounded by the speed of the game. Also every kid in the US is exposed to rec soccer, backyard football, playground basketball, and rec baseball.  Unless you live in Canada, Minnesota, or Siberia you aren't growing up playing pickup hockey on a frozen pond.

The development of high definition tv has made watching hockey on tv so much better than back in the 70's / 80's.  So much easier to follow the puck on the ice. I remember watching the Sabres / Leafs / Habs over the air (Hockey Night in Canada) and the only way you knew where the puck was by the movement of the camera.  I do think is it a bit of an acquired sport to follow.  Or, where you grew up.  Rules wise its a bit of a mash up of soccer and basketball.

Baseball on tv is like being put to a slow death to me.  I'd rather watch it in person - fresh air, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

When I lived in Connecticut for awhile (a NE state where hockey is not popular), I spoke to a number of people about this.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that they didnt really grow up with the sport, and never really played it, and thus cannot identify with watching it.  They arent emotionally invested in anything, so they don't really care.  Going to a game and/or watching it with hockey fans is cool... but no urge at all to start following or going out of the way to watch/attend.

Problems with watching:

It's hard to follow the actual flight of the puck, unless it hits the back of the net, veteran hockey watchers take this for granted, FOX went a bit overboard with the blue streak but they did have a point from talking to new viewers...

the whole length of the ice view for the game is not the best, a Leafs preseason was in a minor league rink and they didn't have this view so they showed from the back of the net in-close and you could watch the path of the puck on a shot from the blue line, and the full effect of a deflection or tip in front of the net, more of this please....

it's almost impossible to tell which player is which on a team except for superstars, it was easier back when they didn't wear helmets

it's a tribal fanbase situation, fans only care about watching their team

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think it's cost prohibitive... The way the game is played today.  I am not saying that is a thing in placed like Canada, where the infrastructure (rinks, etc...) have been in place for long time.

Anyway... It's a very expensive game for youths, getting rink time, etc... It's a skill the average person doesn't acquire, skating that is. SO, if you don't skate, have ever played... You show no interest, well most don't.  Now factor in the $$$$. The safety and equipment that is mandatory nowadays... And you have a niche game.

Soccer... A foot and a ball.  Basically the same orther games.  Baseball, is getting there with cost.  Yet, like hockey in Canada, the baseball infrastructure is here in the US.

Soccer is absolute worst.  Snooze-fest.  To watch a 0-0 game.  Maybe we will catch somebody scoring 3 games from now.

But it's cheap... 3rd World loves that and the drone Europeans.  Maybe they come out for the tailgate... Oh wait, party to kill their boring existence with 90 minutes of filler.

But... It's a set 90 minutes.  LoL..

i was about to say the exact same thing , Hockey is also one of the most expensive sports to play, not counting registration fees for a league and facilities to play it

Just the equipment alone can costs hundreds of dollars buying second hand, to be the goalie you can almost double that.

Growing up it was usually the wealthier families that had their kids playing hockey cause it just wasn't affordable for an average family to have a child in.

Soccer is cheap, Only one ball is required, and if you wanted to go high end, some shin pads and cleats are your equipment.

Baseball still isnt that expensive, A glove will cost a bit for a really good one, but its something that doesn't need to be replaced often, and can get better the more worn it gets (they mentioned during the playoffs one year Tulowitzki on the Jays, his glove is extremely old and keeps getting repaired all the time, he has used the same one almost his entire career). Bats in some leagues are typically supplied to teams, or you can get your own. Batting gloves and cleats are probably your biggest expenses.

Also its true that Ice Hockey requires an additional skill of having to know how to skate, and skate well to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I think this is a valid point.  I also think a lack of understanding of the game is a major factor.

I don't watch hockey and if I ever do, it's a playoff elimination game when there's nothing else on TV.  I don't get the game.  I get the basics, but not the intricacies.

It's the same reason many people think baseball is boring.  I love watching baseball.  I love listening to it on the radio.  It's the strategic/cerebral part of the game that I enjoy most.

I'm sure there's a strategic/cerebral part of hockey; but all I know is you need to get the puck into the net, icing and you can't hit someone with your stick.  So it bores me.  Same with soccer.  And honestly, I never cared to try to learn more about those sports.  Baseball and football are plenty for me.

• Like (+1) 1

I think if the college game was a bit more accessible around the US, you would get more people into it.  The smaller arenas combined with a fairly high skill level makes it very friendly.  You're generally right on top of the game and can get immersed pretty easily.  I haven't been out to any of the arenas out west which are larger, but I'd have to imagine it's similar out there.  It's not going to happen though, unfortunately as there's only so much talent to go around.  Still, fan interest at that level would then funnel into the NHL level.

And that leads to another big reason for why it isn't as popular.  College hockey has grown a ton in recent years, but still, the average American does not have any access to the main feeders for the NHL.  So there is zero familiarity with these players as they break into the pro game.

18 hours ago, K-9 said:

Maybe we we need to go back k to the old Fox Sports Puck Tracker to help all those southerners with slow eyes.

giphy.gif

I was never a fan of the old blue flash in hockey (and HD TV really helps!) but I really like the ball tracker in golf. Same technology, I guess. Not that I watch a ton of golf, but when I do it helps. 

I can’t sit and watch baseball for very long. As my son said when he gave it up “half the guys are standing around, and the other half are sitting!” I’ll certainly watch hockey before baseball. Went to a couple Pred’s games in Nashville last year, and it was a BLAST! 

My parents didn’t love me enough as a teenager to get me to hockey practice at 4:30am.  

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was never a fan of the old blue flash in hockey (and HD TV really helps!) but I really like the ball tracker in golf. Same technology, I guess. Not that I watch a ton of golf, but when I do it helps. 

I don't mind those kinds of things on replays. But other than the LOS and first down line in football, I don't like seeing those things during the live game. I hated watching playoffs this year with the strike zone on the screen. Maybe because I used to be an umpire, but I always enjoyed deciding for myself if it was a ball or a strike.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't mind those kinds of things on replays. But other than the LOS and first down line in football, I don't like seeing those things during the live game. I hated watching playoffs this year with the strike zone on the screen. Maybe because I used to be an umpire, but I always enjoyed deciding for myself if it was a ball or a strike.

Nothing personal, but I always thought guys like you with your own, well.......personal strike zone should be replaced. I don’t like the arbitrary nature of that, or the MLB umps who seemed to thumb their noses at consistency.  But then, I’m NOT a baseball guy....so take it for what it’s worth. Nothing.  ?

35 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The yellow, blue or whatever line at base of boards I think exists because of TV.  It's so the viewer can differentiate between ice and boards... For the players too.  See the puck.

On another note.  They should get rid of advertising on boards.  Go back to the clean old days.

Our first taste of hockey boards advertising was from Communist countries in the 1960s for international hockey.

Interesting points all around.

I do think hockey is the most intense sport to watch. Especially come playoff time. There’s no breaks. My butthole is always clenched.

I don’t find it tough to follow the puck at all. Does that mean I’m like a cat that gets easily distracted by a laser pointer? 

Probably. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I can’t sit and watch baseball for very long. As my son said when he gave it up “half the guys are standing around, and the other half are sitting!” I’ll certainly watch hockey before baseball. Went to a couple Pred’s games in Nashville last year, and it was a BLAST! 

My parents didn’t love me enough as a teenager to get me to hockey practice at 4:30am.  

I was never a fan of the puck tracker, either. My post was completely tongue in cheek. 

Interesting observation by your son regarding baseball. It was funny and brought to mind coaching my son’s team when he was a little guy. They were more interested in playing with the dirt and catching bugs than concentrating on the game. 

Anybody I know that’s been to Nashville for a game says the same thing. Have to put that on my bucket list.

And hockey parents are a special breed. And can we ever really love our children enough? 

On 11/7/2018 at 12:19 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've talked to a bunch of people who said they've been to hockey games and had a fun time. But watching it on TV they get bored and/or confused. 

This would be me(bored, not confused).  I love going to Amerks games (the few times a year I get to go), but I'm bored if I'm watching it on TV.  Same with baseball for me. 

I'll watch golf on TV though.  Probably has a lot to do with what I've played and can appreciate. 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

On another note.  They should get rid of advertising on boards.  Go back to the clean old days.

Dear rich people,

You should eliminate a major source of revenue.

Love,

EII

I wonder if they'll respond to your letter.