Midterm Election Gameday Thread

Just now, LABillzFan said:

This is going to be an extremely entertaining two years. :lol:

I just came home from a local bar that was having an election day party - free tequila shots if you voted - that was also a hopeful celebration for Beto voters. I haven't felt so smug at someone else's expense since I lived in Irving and the Cowboys lost a home game.

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

House Score

r: 182

d:198

(55 left)

+26 Dem flip - official control 

- projected +3 majority 

Dems leading in only one more remaining race, which (if it holds/doesn't increase) would give them +4 total on the night. 

Barring another reversal of an earlier call. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

3 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Did Manchin seriously only win by 3%? That's not a sure Dem vote by any stretch, moving forward.

Trump won the state by 42 points.  Manchin is breathing a sigh of relief right now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

House Score

r: 182

d:198

(55 left)

+26 Dem flip - official control 

- projected +3 majority 

Dems leading in only one more remaining race, which (if it holds/doesn't increase) would give them +4 total on the night. 

Barring another reversal of an earlier call. 

I raised the possibility of this earlier as my largest concern tonight.  

It hasn't been abated.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a miracle!

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

If you think the Democrats have been batshit for the past 2 years...

Karl Rove tonight counted 25 newly elected Dems who are Never Pelosi.

I didn't even know that was a thing. Pelosi not far left enough?

Edited by LABillzFan

Gonna be a late night. 

(despite the early calls)

Dems might get their fist senate flip - Heller in trouble. 

(still a comfy majority secured in the senate for GOP)

House Score

r: 191

d:210

(34 left)

+24 Dem flip (this is down two after two of their "wins" were reversed) - official control 

- projected +2 majority 

• Like (+1) 1

1:39 AM

Republicans carried the national House popular vote by 1 percentage point in 2016, and based on The Upshot model, they look likely to lose by about 7 percentage points in 2018. That 8-point shift would be nearly as large as the 9-point shift toward Republicans that happened in 2010 and the largest shift toward the Democrats since 1948.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Golden Goat said:

I keep expecting Montana to break for Tester at some point, but not yet. That would be a helluva steal.

Yeah, it's looking unlikely at this point, but would have been nice. 

House Score

r: 194

d:219* 

(22 left)

House officially in dem hands. 

Now watch how fast the 99% reporting GOP races will get called. 

• Like (+1) 2

Getting ready to pass out for the night. 

House Score

r: 194

d:219* 

(22 left)

d's with a +1 majority as of this moment. Probably looking at a +5-8 majority by the time everything else is called. Could hit +10/11 but that's not looking likely from what I'm seeing right now (though races are changing by the minute still and several calls remain under review).

Night, PPP! :beer: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have aborted on posting here for awhile. I'm watching Don Lemon right now claim that the 27th district is gerrymandered, lol. That ass didn't say ***** about the 25th for years. In my opinion I think the districts look the best in my lifetime in terms of boundaries. I voted Maxwell and he lost. He would have never had a chance against Louise in that ***** before 2013. Atleast it accurately reflects monroe county.

The Republicans are getting killed by a reaction to trump. The president's party usually loses seats in the midterms. Obama was crushed in 2010.

I saw my polling station and I thought, this looks way too busy and didn't like Maxwell's chances. Traditionally, when voter turn out is high, the Democrats do better. 

Trump managed to piss off enough people to motivate the democratic base and offend the independents who voted for him in my opinion. 2020 will be interesting.

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Why are you posting this person's tweets? They're nobody.

2 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I have aborted on posting here for awhile. I'm watching Don Lemon right now claim that the 27th district is gerrymandered, lol. That ass didn't say ***** about the 25th for years. In my opinion I think the districts look the best in my lifetime in terms of boundaries. I voted Maxwell and he lost. He would have never had a chance against Louise in that ***** before 2013. Atleast it accurately reflects monroe county.

The Republicans are getting killed by a reaction to trump. The president's party usually loses seats in the midterms. Obama was crushed in 2010.

I saw my polling station and I thought, this looks way too busy and didn't like Maxwell's chances. Traditionally, when voter turn out is high, the Democrats do better. 

Trump managed to piss off enough people to motivate the democratic base and offend the independents who voted for him in my opinion. 2020 will be interesting.

I have to agree that Trump's crassness and over the top rhetoric cost Republicans the House (but helped the Republicans in the Senate).  I say that because historically when the economy is this good the president' party's house losses are at a minimum or they even win some during the midterms.  Dems won House seats in the '98 midterms and Republicans won in the '02 midterms during Bush Jr's first term.  Meanwhile, we were at the height of the recession during the 2010 midterms.  It also looks like the three Senate and Governor seats in the "blue wall" that Trump broke in 2016 all went to the Democrats.

However, it looks like five incumbents Democratic Senators that went for Trump (I'm assuming Arizona and Montana Republican Senator challengers will win) went down tonight as Trump's extremely popular in those states.  He knows this and that's why he held rallies there.  It's going to be an interesting two years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I have to agree that Trump's crassness and over the top rhetoric cost Republicans the House (but helped the Republicans in the Senate).  I say that because historically when the economy is this good the president' party's house losses are at a minimum or they even win some during the midterms.  Dems won House seats in the '98 midterms and Republicans won in the '02 midterms during Bush Jr's first term.  Meanwhile, we were at the height of the recession during the 2010 midterms.  It also looks like the three Senate and Governor seats in the "blue wall" that Trump broke in 2016 all went to the Democrats.

However, it looks like five incumbents Democratic Senators that went for Trump (I'm assuming Arizona and Montana Republican Senator challengers will win) went down tonight as Trump's extremely popular in those states.  He knows this and that's why he held rallies there.  It's going to be an interesting two years.

Don't be so sure about Montana. The outstanding votes are in urban areas.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  The problem may have been Hillary Clinton there Ben.

Dems won in PA because of the INSANE partisan redistricting that basically handed 4-5 seats to democrats and made voting republican in the eastern half of the state meaningless. State politics matter 

17 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Dems won in PA because of the INSANE partisan redistricting that basically handed 4-5 seats to democrats and made voting republican in the eastern half of the state meaningless. State politics matter 

The gerrymandered salamander shaped districts were not insane? Good stuff. 

The conspiracy echo chamber here thought the Rs would keep their majority in the House despite that huge improbability. But forgive them: They had Hillary for the win as part of the master Bildeberg plan in 2016. 

31 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The gerrymandered salamander shaped districts were not insane? Good stuff. 

No, they empowered exurban and rural voters, whose votes and voices in the eastern  half of the state are now rendered meaningless. No conspiracy, just simple math.

• Like (+1) 1