Midterm Election Gameday Thread

Illinois after electing a "R" businessman to be Governor 4 years ago will likely elect a "D" businessman today (mostly a silver spooner) as the next Governor.  The D candidate JB Pritzker is running on a progressive state income tax platform (we have a flat tax now) and of course promising a cut for lower income people and a big increase on "the rich".  A classic buy votes with other people's money strategy. 

Meanwhile for 4 years the D controlled state houses have stonewalled any efforts by the current governor to cut spending and revise on a going forward basis  state pensions and to enact term limits.  The Big D machine in Illinois is rolling.

Edited by keepthefaith

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Illinois after electing a "R" businessman to be Governor 4 years ago will likely elect a "D" businessman today (mostly a silver spooner) as the next Governor.  The D candidate JB Pritzker is running on a progressive state income tax platform (we have a flat tax now) and of course promising a cut for lower income people and a big increase on "the rich".  A classic buy votes with other people's money strategy. 

Meanwhile for 4 years the D controlled state houses have stonewalled any efforts by the current governor to cut spending and revise on a going forward basis  state pensions and to enact term limits.  The Big D machine in Illinois is rolling.

Interesting on the flat tax, I did not know any state did that. How has it worked? I have always been intrigued by a national flat tax

3 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Q.  What if the Democrats retake the House?  I mean, if they do retake the House, will they have a large majority of seats?  From what I see now, the Democrats do retake the House but with a very small majority.  What good would that be for Democrats?  

:ph34r:

Dems winning the house will all but assure us that Trump is re-elected in 2020.  Remember, the party in power always screws up and the D's only need control of the house to ***** up in grand fashion.   

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Be VERY wary of the former C_A agents running this term. Take partisanship out of it and look into where they worked and who they worked under. 

There are a couple real bad actors running from the USIC who are not friends of this country, let alone its people.

CONSPIRACY!

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Interesting on the flat tax, I did not know any state did that. How has it worked? I have always been intrigued by a national flat tax

We were at 3% flat for decades.  2 governor's ago along with the state legislature raised it to 5%  temporarily.  Current Rep governor let it expire so it reverted back to 3% and he vowed to cut spending and do the hard work to balance the states' books.  He was stonewalled in those efforts and the Dem legislature passed an increase to 4.95% with a veto-proof majority. 

It will likely be tough for new governor to get a progressive tax in place as it may require a change in state constitution or some other heavy political lift but the Dem's seem committed to doing it.   The beauty of the flat tax is forcing government to raise or lower taxes on everyone at the same rate which is harder for Dems to do which is why even in this heavy Dem state we were able to stay at 3% for so long.  Instead though, property taxes are high here and other taxes and fees as well. 

The current Rep governor won because he promised to reduce the tax from 5% to 3% and fix our spending problems.  Now that he was unable to fix spending, the Dems are using their progressive tax playbook.   Once that gets into place, it's open season on upper income people forever.  It'll take a catastrophe to ever elect another Rep Governor again here. 

Edited by keepthefaith

15 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Q.  What if the Democrats retake the House?  I mean, if they do retake the House, will they have a large majority of seats?  From what I see now, the Democrats do retake the House but with a very small majority.  What good would that be for Democrats?  

:ph34r:

Did you have a basic understanding of how Congress works?....With people like you voting....what could go wrong....?

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Look up the Fair Tax if you want to see a fair way of taxing. It is a federal sales tax that eliminates taxes as we now know. The more one spends the more one pays. It has a protection for the poor so that those that are now paying nothing in income taxes will still pay nothing. It virtually eliminates fraud and is still a progressive tax.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, I just received a packet on my front porch from Dave Bratt essentially telling me the national debt, which he voted to increase, is a massive national problem. And his opponent, a former CIA agent, supports and promotes terrorism as she was a substitute teacher at a Muslim school 15 years ago.

She was a substitute teacher at a Muslim school, ergo "supports and promotes terrorism." 

You are in the lead here on the conspiracy board for post of the day, but it's early. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

27 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

She was a substitute teacher at a Muslim school, ergo "supports and promotes terrorism." 

You are in the lead here on the conspiracy board for post of the day, but it's early. 

That won't even make the top 10 - especially if the Democrats win more than expected.

28 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

C'mon man, being a substitute teacher she was only a part-time terrorist I doubt her heart was really into it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Massachusetts has a flat tax of 5.1% for earned income and long term capital gains. Short term capital gains is a lot higher 15% to 20%. 

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, I just received a packet on my front porch from Dave Bratt essentially telling me the national debt, which he voted to increase, is a massive national problem. And his opponent, a former CIA agent, supports and promotes terrorism as she was a substitute teacher at a Muslim school 15 years ago.

That sucks for yall getting polling places shifted..mine has been same since 02. I have never waited in line more than 10 minutes..should be interesting to see tomorrow as the congressional race is a dead heat at this point

I thought that was a dumb angle to take. I was asked how much that would influence my opinion in a survey by Brat's campaign and I said it wouldn't at all, but they didn't take my advice.

It's echo chamber politics that only registers with the people who are already going to vote for you anyway. 

I think he's still going to win, and if so I doubt they learn from this, but winning a toss up in a reliably Republican district should not be viewed as evidence of a well run campaign.

Just saw a headline: one dead in Tennessee voting as severe weather heads east.  :wacko:

I just voted, straight Republican for the first time ever (save a token write-in vote for Nathan Peterman for the local registrar of wills.)  Every time I even thought of voting Democrat, I remembered the way they treat sexual assault victims as political pawns and deny them due process...so ***** 'em.

I still feel very, very dirty.  But ***** that whole rotten party.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

We do absentee ballots, but drop them off at our polling place on election day. Early voting always seems like a bad idea, much like picking a football team's W/L record during mini-camp. 

But the absentee is cool because I can sit and review each vote with purpose, then tell my b*tch wife to vote just like me or I'll put her in a handsmaid outfit, right before her brother calls and tells her how to vote, just before her father calls her and tells her how to vote, because b8tches ain't smart enough to do anything but make me a sammich.

At least that's what Hillary says.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Just saw a headline: one dead in Tennessee voting as severe weather heads east.  :wacko:

I just voted, straight Republican for the first time ever (save a token write-in vote for Nathan Peterman for the local registrar of wills.)  Every time I even thought of voting Democrat, I remembered the way they treat sexual assault victims as political pawns and deny them due process...so ***** 'em.

I still feel very, very dirty.  But ***** that whole rotten party.

Just out of curiosity, what issues have caused you to vote Democrat in recent years?

Next on MSNBC, anchor Chris Hayes shows what happens when you inject your turkey with too much liquid.

I have no idea who this woman is. I saw this on Twitter, went to her page, and found out I was blocked.

How the hell are you blocked from someone you don't know? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I have no idea who this woman is. I saw this on Twitter, went to her page, and found out I was blocked.

How the hell are you blocked from someone you don't know? 

She was a frequent "panelist" on Chelsea Handler's E! show.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

Did you have a basic understanding of how Congress works?....With people like you voting....what could go wrong....?

What would the political benefit be to Democrats if they have a small majority in the House?  Especially with a Republican in the White House and a Republican lead Senate?

Anyone?

First time voting in MA. Paper ballots, fill in the oval like a standardized test. Got the ballot by giving my address and name. No I. D. required. Had to “sign out” by giving name and address info to another person at the check out station. Then ballots were submitted into something a bit like a mailbox - which was guarded ny the town police. 

Was glad to vote against Lieawatha. 

• Like (+1) 1

Took me 2.5 hrs in GA. Hearing similar times from others. We usually have a dozen machines at our polling place. Only four today and they closed the next nearest polling facility and roles it into ours. Go figure.

Contentious governors race here. No national implications for my district but still big turnout.

14 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

What would the political benefit be to Democrats if they have a small majority in the House?  Especially with a Republican in the White House and a Republican lead Senate?

Anyone?

Control of what bills get in/out of committee. Chairmanship of all committees. Subpoena power to ***** with basically whoever they want. Adam Schiff, Maxine Waters and Jerry Nadler as committee chairpeople. Is that enough?

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

We do absentee ballots, but drop them off at our polling place on election day. Early voting always seems like a bad idea, much like picking a football team's W/L record during mini-camp. 

But the absentee is cool because I can sit and review each vote with purpose, then tell my b*tch wife to vote just like me or I'll put her in a handsmaid outfit, right before her brother calls and tells her how to vote, just before her father calls her and tells her how to vote, because b8tches ain't smart enough to do anything but make me a sammich.

At least that's what Hillary says.

God bless you AND your wife.

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Control of what bills get in/out of committee. Chairmanship of all committees. Subpoena power to ***** with basically whoever they want. Adam Schiff, Maxine Waters and Jerry Nadler as committee chairpeople. Is that enough?

Thanks for the response.  But what I'm really driving at is what political power Democrats will have with a small majority in the House while Republicans hold the Senate and White House.

If Democrats end up with a small majority in the House that still means that there's a lot Republican House members to gum up the political agenda for the small majority of Democrats.

White House - Republican

Senate - Republican

House - Democrat with small majority.

Just now, PearlHowardman said:

Thanks for the response.  But what I'm really driving at is what political power Democrats will have with a small majority in the House while Republicans hold the Senate and White House.

If Democrats end up with a small majority in the House that still means that there's a lot Republican House members to gum up the political agenda for the small majority of Democrats.

White House - Republican

Senate - Republican

House - Democrat with small majority.

It doesn't allow them to pass their own legislation, but it enables them to block the Republicans from passing theirs.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

He'll still have a pen and a phone, and you're fine with that. 

Lefties complaining about unchecked executive power have a lot of balls. :lol: 

Well if the Democrats were such a hinderance without any majorities, I can’t wait to see what they do now

6 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It doesn't allow them to pass their own legislation, but it enables them to block the Republicans from passing theirs.

So we end up with compromise bills getting passed that cost a ton of money and don't reflect the will of the people.

Just now, Crayola64 said:

Well if the Democrats were such a hinderance without any majorities, I can’t wait to see what they do now

You missed the point I was making. 

The idea Trump has increased unchecked executive authority is a fantasy. He's done more to reduce it, compared to the previous administration. But details and facts that run counter to the narrative are easy to forget.

• Like (+1) 1