Coffee Aficionados?

On 11/6/2018 at 12:45 PM, Seasons1992 said:

My wife is a coffe snob. It’s usually just us two so we usually use a very similar goose neck kettle for pour overs.  Also have the larger chemex when there’s more than just us. I only started drinking coffee about 2 years ago when our son was born but it didn’t take me long to graduate from “I’ll drink any ole gas station coffee” to total snob. I really feel like there’s a huge difference. We just got back from a week at Disney and brought our own coffee from local place here in Cbus along with our kettle and travel pour overs. It was worth the hassle. 

Got my order from Peet’s a couple days ago, and the Italian roast has been incredible.  Just what I was looking for.  I also bought a little “pour over” set up that actually makes a much better cup of coffee than my expensive drip machine.  The coffee fills up the house with an amazing aroma every morning when I make a pot.  

$25 is a little pricey for a couple pounds of coffee, but this is totally worth it.  I’m thinking about joining one of their clubs to have the stuff delivered regularly.  Thanks to everyone for the advice!

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Got my order from Peet’s a couple days ago, and the Italian roast has been incredible.  Just what I was looking for.  I also bought a little “pour over” set up that actually makes a much better cup of coffee than my expensive drip machine.  The coffee fills up the house with an amazing aroma every morning when I make a pot.  

$25 is a little pricey for a couple pounds of coffee, but this is totally worth it.  I’m thinking about joining one of their clubs to have the stuff delivered regularly.  Thanks to everyone for the advice!

enjoy!!!

committing to it is another matter, you can stockpile 4 pounds before you know it, and getting off a credit card payment plan is not as easy as you might think

37 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If you have a Costco around you, they may sell Peet's for a much lower price. Maybe not the Italian roast...but our Costco had 4 types of Peet's yesterday when I picked up a 2 1/4 lb bag of "Alma de la Tierra" for $15. Brewed some up this morning. Excellent cup of Joe. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

If you have a Costco around you, they may sell Peet's for a much lower price. Maybe not the Italian roast...but our Costco had 4 types of Peet's yesterday when I picked up a 2 1/4 lb bag of "Alma de la Tierra" for $15. Brewed some up this morning. Excellent cup of Joe. 

Not a Costco within 100 miles of where I live, I think.  Road trip?

Edit: Turns out there is a Costco up in Colchester which is just north of Burlington.  My son has a hockey game up in Burlington next weekend.  I’m going to check it out.  Thanks for the tip!

42 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you can't get into this territory worrying about pennies spent per cup....

if you readily purchase a cup of coffee at a franchise, you have busted the bank on pennies spent per cup...

We rarely buy coffee by the cup.  Usually just brew a pot in the AM and maybe half in the afternoon.  It’s more expensive, but worth it.  To me it’s like spending extra $ for good marijuana ?

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

We rarely buy coffee by the cup.  Usually just brew a pot in the AM and maybe half in the afternoon.  It’s more expensive, but worth it.  To me it’s like spending extra $ for good marijuana ?

my lifestyle is basically hermitage in a cave of an apartment or dress up and spend 14 hours in an office tour

the expenditure diffs for these roles is exponential, i wonder if i could honestly reduce spending bigtime while at work.... but you kind of have to....

i will take your word on "other substances"...  it's gotten even more big-brother up here after some kind of legalization became effective.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, Steve O said:

Peete's Italian roast. Usually around $9 for 12 oz. Value wise, four sisters is the best I've found. $5 for 1-1/2 lbs at Big Lots and not that much of a downgrade from Peete's. Just been a bit more price conscious since getting laid off back in March.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:54 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Thanks to everyone? I believe you mean Thanks Steve O? As I said, I'll take the credit if you like it but won't pay the bill if you don't!!

Edited by Steve O

If there is a World Market (or Cost Plus World Market) their house coffees are great deals. As good as Starbucks to me, for half the price. It's always $9.99 for 24 ounces and quite often on sale for less. All different kinds, too. French Roast is very consistent and good, and I'm a coffee snob. I think you can buy it online, too.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up some Counter Culture Coffee - Big Trouble.  It's so good that it inspired me find this thread and post about it.  Loving it.

Other recent tries:

Teasia Coffee - Ethiopia Yirgacheffe: to me, this kind of smells and taste like tea.  Unique for sure.  Not a daily drinker, but i make some like once a week.

Jamaican Blue Mountain - got some 100% authentic (or so they claim), non-blend.  It's good, no doubt, but it didn't blow me away or anything.  I wouldn't buy myself, but getting as a gift is nice.  I prefer the Counter Culture Coffee one over it.

My wife likes buying Top Name crap but I'm not into them  AND I'm the only coffee drinker in the house 

The only time she drinks coffee is when we go on a road trip. 

She'll get Gevalia or Café Bustelo or Lavazza Caffe' Espresso

I like Dark Roast 

large-compliments-blacksilk.jpg   large-compliments-gourmetsupreme.jpg

I like Dunkin Coffee but it's just not the same brewed at home 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:48 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast...

That’s because when she buys the coffee, it tastes like s***.  You buy the good stuff because when you drink it, you want to taste it.  But this ain’t about the coffee in Off The Wall.  It’s about the replacement Rosen in Arizona.

(Look for a Sumatran, and grind your own beans.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 11/21/2018 at 9:40 AM, 707BillsFan said:

Good deal;  Is that the one in Novato?

I just paid $15 for one pound!  Course that was cause I was walking through the Ferry Bldg when my wife called to say we were out.

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Good deal;  Is that the one in Novato?

I just paid $15 for one pound!  Course that was cause I was walking through the Ferry Bldg when my wife called to say we were out.

Santa Rosa. HAHA, Ferry Building, tourist trap. Great finds in there though. 

Edited by 707BillsFan

On 11/5/2018 at 9:48 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

https://www.coffeereview.com/highest-rated-coffees/

Here is a site that reviewed 800 of the worlds best coffees with prices and roaster info.

• Like (+1) 1