Coffee Aficionados?

My coffee maker, and many others, have both the pot and a single cup option.  Mine uses a reusable filter for the single cup.  Just don't spend $40/50 on it, got to get one that is around the $100 mark at the minimum for it to work pretty well consistently. 

On 11/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I tried to talk my wife into getting a smaller Keurig machine for the house.  Sometimes you just want one quick cup of coffee, and don’t want to bother making and wasting a whole pot.

She was not interested due to the plastic waste involved.  Apparently, whales get them caught in their blow holes or something ?

Edited by Mark80

On 11/5/2018 at 12:48 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

you ask for quality and people give their idiosyncratic raggedy-ass tips and blends....

gotta love the internet...

:D

On 11/5/2018 at 10:23 PM, Steve O said:

No doubt Java's sells great coffee but Don doesn't put the same TLC into roasting the beans as Joe did. Definitely noticed a difference since Joe died.

I litterally can't tell the difference. The Ethiopian to me has always been kinda gross. Gotta load it up with sugar and cream to make it tolerable. It has a more bitter taste than the others.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:19 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't be a coffee snob, it's unbecoming & psychopathic.

Be man and invest in one of these:

81F0d2wZ6qL._SL1500_.jpg

And a can of:

834a27c05deaf40dcf034e11a61cd4cb.jpg

Put hair on your chest...

Anyway, I don't touch the sc hit.  You wanna see me hopped up on coffee/caffeine????

Wife & Daughter are coffee snobs, that's bad enough!

That coffee pot, aside from the plastic/glass "Knob" at the top, looks like every coffee pot in every cowboy movie ever made.

It's the one sitting on top of the camp fire.  Gotta have your coffee when you are on a long ride.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone ever noticed how in cowboy movies you will often see a cowboy on a long ride, somewhere in the desert or very arid environment....he's been riding for hours.....all sweaty, dusty, and worn out....comes into some tiny town....heads straight into the tavern and orders "whisky."

I always found that kind of funny.  If I was dehydrated and sweating my ass off in 90+ ambient temps, I'm not sure the first thing I'd think of would be to throw back a shot of whisky, but I'm not a cowboy.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:52 AM, row_33 said:

Not remotely close to good taste

keurig is plastic enough in taste

Tastes differ.  Grind some of your favorite coffee, put it in the pod and you have a nice cup of coffee.  For those who don't need more than a cup or two it's a nice alternative.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:57 AM, Steptide said:

I litterally can't tell the difference. The Ethiopian to me has always been kinda gross. Gotta load it up with sugar and cream to make it tolerable. It has a more bitter taste than the others.

I'm sure if I had two cups of coffee to sample I wouldn't be able to tell which was Don's and which was Joe's. But if you spread out two pounds of coffee beans in front of me I could identify who roasted which pound. My favorite is the Flores.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My wife usually buys the cheap Price Chopper Dark roast, but I’d like to expand my horizons a little bit and I’m not afraid to spend money to get good quality.  Anyone get their coffee online?  If so, any recommendations as to where to buy it?

Also, any recommendations as to different types of coffee.  My wife and I loved Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee when we were on our honeymoon in Negril.  We ended up buying a few pounds while we were there but got ripped off...stuff was like sawdust when we opened it.  lol

We tend to gravitate toward the darkest types of coffee.  Love espresso.  Thanks in advance for the tips!

I am a dark coffee fan.  For years, I bought Hannaford brand dark roast coffee (k-cups).  They cost $5-$6/dozen.

Lately, however, I've been getting Café Bustelo coffee, which I think is delicious (I drink it black, no sugar) and it costs $10/18 cups at Walmart.  It's my new go-to.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I just ordered two 1.5 pound bags of Peet's Italian Roast.  We'll see how it goes, but i really like the idea that they roast the beans right before shipping.  Can't wait!!

good choice, enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I just ordered two 1.5 pound bags of Peet's Italian Roast.  We'll see how it goes, but i really like the idea that they roast the beans right before shipping.  Can't wait!!

Hope you like it. I'll take the credit if you do, won't pay the bill if you don't!!

• Like (+1) 1

For those of you interested in single serve, I bought a Saeco coffee machine when it was on sale at Costco.

It is great. You use whole beans, you choose what kine of coffee you want and it grinds the beans and infuses the water from a water reservoir.  It also produces that natural crema that you would get if you went to a fancy coffee shop.  You can use whatever brand of coffee you like.

Side note:

Someone earlier mentioned that his wife was concerned about plastic waste with the K cup.  There is none of that with the K cup and you are not wedded to any particular brand of coffee.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:44 AM, plenzmd1 said:

i am a K Cup guy now...and get whatever dark roast is on sale at the Costco

Reusable KCup w/ either a bag of coffee from Costco or currently using up my container of coffee from Horton's. While I love the convenience of the KCup, not a fan of the coffee offered in their cups (yes I've tried numerous).

9 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Reusable KCup w/ either a bag of coffee from Costco or currently using up my container of coffee from Horton's. While I love the convenience of the KCup, not a fan of the coffee offered in their cups (yes I've tried numerous).

KCups are great when its free or you are away from enjoying coffee at home in your thoughts.