Trade Deadline Updates - Official Thread

wppete

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Would be unusual for a rookie to get traded, but I wouldn't put it past that Rams team. 

Yeah, my thought is if they are pushing in this year it’s possible. They can take another one next year. Noteboom and a pick. Hughes is on a team-friendly deal for the production that he has. Pass rushing doesn’t come cheap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

So, we continue to weaken the team....now you have to replace one of your best defensive players....when do you plan on being a contender....

You will have to replace him when he declines anyway when you want to be a contender.  It's like buying a new car and trading in your old vehicle for the black book value rather than it sit and rust to nothing.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

So, we continue to weaken the team....now you have to replace one of your best defensive players....when do you plan on being a contender....

I kinda get that but it doesn't improve the team...we just have to replace another player....you can't replace so many players at one time

But if you're getting draft picks for him then it's problem solved. 

If you have the third pick and Nick Bosa is there, having that big Hughes contract might be the determining factor as to whether or not you can invest that pick in that. Furthermore, if you have an extra third kicking around you're less in need of a trade down to fill more holes. It's all an elaborate game. 

Also, Jerry is great, but don't forget that as many games as he has won for us, he has lost just as many by being an idiot and getting dumb flags when his emotions get going. He also has 8.5 sacks in 1.5 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

If you have the third pick and Nick Bosa is there, having that big Hughes contract might be the determining factor as to whether or not you can invest that pick in that. Furthermore, if you have an extra third kicking around you're less in need of a trade down to fill more holes. It's all an elaborate game. 

Also, Jerry is great, but don't forget that as many games as he has won for us, he has lost just as many by being an idiot and getting dumb flags when his emotions get going. He also has 8.5 sacks in 1.5 seasons. 

Ha....and very risky

The worst part of today is remembering back to last year and how freaking psyched I was about Benjamin.... It's like eating a great meal and then puking the rest of the night from food poisoning.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Ha....and very risky

Most definitely. But that's the way of the world. Sometimes you're Chip Kelly and become a laughing stock, and sometimes you're Drew Rosenhause and become one of the most respected men in the NFL. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

So a team that can barely score one touchdown every three games is setting itself up to draft a DE in the first round.  Great!

Just now, Perry Turtle said:

So a team that can barely score one touchdown every three games is setting itself up to draft a DE in the first round.  Great!

I definitely see your point and I go back and forth on it a lot. But the honest truth is that last night when it mattered we didn't get to Brady, part of that is definitely the no calls on rapes and maulings that happened against our guys, but still - a great edge rusher can take this defense to elite status (ask the Bears) and they are harder to come by than other positions (ask the Raiders). But either way, you have to ask if Hughes is the guy long term. If he isn't then it makes sense to sell high to a team that is destroying the future for a chance at today. 

1 minute ago, Perry Turtle said:

You always take the best talent on the board.  Imagine if we had taken Bill Fralik #1 overall in 1985 over Bruce Smith just because we have needed Oline more the previous year?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Why is McCoy still on this team? 

If the reports of several teams working to get him but the Bills standing firm refusing to deal are true....

...the people running this team are f-ing idiots.

We seem to have leverage and multiple bidders to help garner a good price, but we don't move him?

LOL

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Woodman19 said:

You always take the best talent on the board.  Imagine if we had taken Bill Fralik #1 overall in 1985 over Bruce Smith just because we have needed Oline more the previous year?

The Bills also had a massive need at DE that season.  It's not like they had a top 10 defense and a historically bad offense, and decided to draft Smith.

The last two drafts they needed a CB and LB and did pretty good addressing those specific needs.  Do the same in the next draft at OL and WR in the first, and they can turn things around quickly.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

And watch how our w/l record doesn't change in a meaningful way.

We need a QB.  Until we have one, none of it matters.

Yeah, the assumption is that they have the QB, but that remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, this draft looks like a EJ-like pool of candidates.

The Bills really blew the '17 draft.  It's going to set them back years.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I don't 

Why pass on an elite player when you're in a position to get one while giving up nothing?

Those are all things you need to weigh.   If you have the first pick you probably aren't trading down much further than five.  So if you trade down to five, still get an elite talent at a position of need and then add a future 1st round pick as well I think you need to consider it. 

Basically, do you want Nick Bosa or would you rather have both Greedy Williams and N'Keal Harry?

Just now, One Buffalo said:

HAHA!

sorry. 

Actually not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I don't understand the Packers trading anyone at all when they're fighting for their lives. Secondly, the Redskins are just blah to me. 

Edited by whatdrought

4 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Said Donahoe when he drafted Willis McGahee or Buddy Nix when he drafted CJ Spiller.

Because Elite Passrushers are not the same as running backs. 

The trade down idea is not a bad one (especially in a loaded front 7 draft.) but the topic was about if trading Hughes would be bad, and I don't think it necessarily would have. 

Edited by whatdrought

15 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Not necessarily. While I don't like this move as he isn't at the end of his career and feel like the defense should not really be touched right now while it's working, my guess is that they would look to sign a DE in free agency (as the word is that is one of the spots there will be good players), maybe re-sign Murphy if he does well, and evaluate Shaq. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

Because Elite Passrushers are the same as running backs. 

The trade down idea is not a bad one (especially in a loaded front 7 draft.) but the topic was about if trading Hughes would be bad, and I don't think it necessarily would have. 

According to the genius Bills GMs who made those picks, I guess they were.  Anyway, those picks were justified as BPA.

As for elite pass rushers, if you replace Hughes with a JJ Watt who is in his prime, how many more wins do the Bills have this season with their current offense.

How many more years do the Bills have to tank before they add talent to the offense?

Anyway, it looks like Hughes is staying, and the defense will likely finish top 10 while the offense falls to 32nd.  It'll be interesting to see how Beane decides to build a modern NFL offense next season.

13 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

Yeah, the assumption is that they have the QB, but that remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, this draft looks like a EJ-like pool of candidates.

The Bills really blew the '17 draft.  It's going to set them back years.

If Allen works out, then they really did not. They may have got two elite players in addition to their QB. I get the frustration as Mahomes is looking like an MVP and Watson has looked good at times, but as you said, Allen does remain to be seen, but his ceiling is very high, so to say they blew the '17 draft is premature. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

There was reportedly a deal in place with Houston to get a 6th in exchange for KB and a 5th, but the Texans backed out.

That thought we meant Benjamin Button and Kelvin Shepherd. Word is when they heard we meant Kelvin Benjamin they immediately lost cell service. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1