Demaryius Thomas: Hypothetical

BuffaloButt

I'm not sure Thomas is a move that makes sense at the moment. He's owed a significant amount of money and is a bit on the older side. That said, he is leaps and bounds better than anyone we have. If you can get him cheap, then I am all for it. Denver should sell low so they can get out of the contract.  

I would send our 4th round pick and maybe a 6th or 7th to the Broncos for Thomas. He is only 30 I reckon you can get two decent years of production out of him and he has never been a guy who relied just on speed.

I know he is expensive next year but the only likely FA who is anywhere near his class is Golden Tate and Thomas's contract is not that much more than you would end up paying Tate in FA (I think the Bills would only be on the hook for the $14m base salary in 2019 because the signing bonus and option bonus have already been paid they are just spread by the Broncos for cap purposes so would remain on their cap as dead money). If I thought he'd come I'd trade for him and then offer him a contract extension for one more year so he is under contract for 2019 and 2020, throw a bit more cash at him up front and spread the cap hit out a bit over the two years. Maybe offer him 2 years after this one for $22m about $11m per year and guarantee him the 2019 money. I think that would be enough new guaranteed cash that would tempt him to sign here. Denver aren't paying him that $14m next year so that money isn't "real" at the moment - they are not on the hook for any of that... just the signing and option bonuses.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Two years ago I believe.

Rumors are floating around about Giants selling a few guys. Shepard being one of them. Not sure how legit. If so, Bills should inquire and be interested.

Has he got a year of his rookie deal left then I presume? I'd throw a 6th at Shepard -  he is strictly a slot for me but I think he could be a top end slot. Wouldn't be surprised if the evil empire were interested. Can see him in that scheme.

37 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

Demaryius Thomas: Would you want the Bills to trade for him and what would you give up if they do?

Was actually just talking about this with a student who is a Broncos fan -- he wants Thomas gone as soon as possible, but also said he wanted a 1st round pick ... told him the appropriate-for-educational-situation version of "what are you smokin'" ... but I also said if I were the Bills, I'd be curious about him. Trading at this point of the season and hoping to re-sign is probably the best way to get an experienced WR at this point. Then again, the compensation market (1st for Amari Cooper seemed a bit rich for promising but erratic receiver) might be just as off-kilter as the off-season market ($16m for Watkins and even with the Mahomes/Chiefs juggernaut, he's still under 1000 yards pace this year). If they could get him for a 3rd, I'd listen, for a 4th, I'd likely pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not a chance. 

He's too old and his play has been declining the last few years. 

No reason to trade anything for a rapidly declining asset with a huge price tag. 

His play has not declined as much as the standard of the QB play on his team... to me that is a big factor. Look you are not getting the 2014 Demaryius Thomas of 1,600 yards and double figure touchdowns but I think you are still getting a guy capable of posting 800 yard plus and 6TD type seasons the next two years and a vet who can help in the room. Basically what they thought they were getting, but weren't (and they have no excuse for not knowing) in KB.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Still loads better than what we have currently. 

He is capable of getting over the top of a defense and I don't think you can say that about any WR of this roster besides Foster who can't catch.

Yea but I think his quickness is more short area and acceleration than long speed. I do think he is a good player and would be a good get. If you could throw a 4th and two 6ths at getting Thomas and Shepard you would have two receivers that massively upgrade the team and you would still have your standard 7 picks in the 2019 draft (and could still take a young outside receiver to compliment them).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sterling Shepard is a name being mentioned in trade rumors from the Giants. 

Would liven to see the Bills make a move for him.

Now this is a move I would make if I were GM. Young enough to grow with the team while rebuilding. However, that same logic applies to the Giants so not sure why they would move him ?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I have no idea either, but Gettleman has ties to McBeane and if he wants to go down that same idiotic road that McBeane went down in trading young quality assets for unknown future draft picks then we should jump on it. 

I would happily give up a 3rd for Shepherd. Instantly our top receiver. 

9 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Now this is a move I would make if I were GM. Young enough to grow with the team while rebuilding. However, that same logic applies to the Giants so not sure why they would move him ?

Agreed.  Let Zay play outside.  Shepard gives Josh a great option in slot

3 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Demaryius Thomas: Would you want the Bills to trade for him and what would you give up if they do?

It doesn't really make sense for our rebuilding team, we'll be viable in 2 years is my thinking and by then Thomas will be most likely washed up. I see us drafting a 1st or 2nd round WR in this years draft while picking up a veteran like John Brown imo. Draft and develop then hopefully resign later on should be the way we go from here on out I'm hoping. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His play has not declined as much as the standard of the QB play on his team... to me that is a big factor. Look you are not getting the 2014 Demaryius Thomas of 1,600 yards and double figure touchdowns but I think you are still getting a guy capable of posting 800 yard plus and 6TD type seasons the next two years and a vet who can help in the room. Basically what they thought they were getting, but weren't (and they have no excuse for not knowing) in KB.

I'm not into it.

I'm not trading a pick for a to be 31 year old receiver with a $17 mil cap hit next year, who we might only have for 1.5 years. 

This team needs to get younger. They need to start valuing their draft picks and bring in players they can build around on affordable contracts for 4-5 years. 

We need to stop trading away draft picks. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

I'm not into it.

I'm not trading a pick for a to be 31 year old receiver with a $17 mil cap hit next year, who we might only have for 1.5 years. 

This team needs to get younger. They need to start valuing their draft picks and bring in players they can build around on affordable contracts for 4-5 years. 

We need to stop trading away draft picks. 

The receiver room is so bare though. They need a good vet. And we would not be on the hook for $17m. The Broncos are on the hook for $3m of that whether he is there or not cos it is money already paid. His hit to us would be $14m and I think you could get that down in exchange for giving him some guaranteed upfront and an extra year. 

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sterling Shepard is a name being mentioned in trade rumors from the Giants. 

Would liven to see the Bills make a move for him.

I was going to bring his name up in the Giants thread,he could take over the role that Woods had here...and do we miss Woods!

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Has he got a year of his rookie deal left then I presume? I'd throw a 6th at Shepard -  he is strictly a slot for me but I think he could be a top end slot. Wouldn't be surprised if the evil empire were interested. Can see him in that scheme.

Yes, he's signed thru 2019. He was a 2nd Round draft pick in 2016.

Sign Pryor, trade KB, trade for Thomas and then draft N'Keal Harry #1 who is a ridiculous talent. Have Thomas, Harry, Pryor and Zay would at least stabilize the WR corps, perhaps make it a strength, with Harry a future possible star and we would have had basically only spent a #1 choice on the overhaul.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The receiver room is so bare though. They need a good vet. And we would not be on the hook for $17m. The Broncos are on the hook for $3m of that whether he is there or not cos it is money already paid. His hit to us would be $14m and I think you could get that down in exchange for giving him some guaranteed upfront and an extra year. 

We don't need a good vet. We just need better players who we can build around on offense for the next several seasons.

A one year rental with a $14 mil price tag is less valuable for this franchise and where we are in the rebuild than the 2nd or 3rd round pick it will take to get him. 

As I said, stop trading away draft picks on players nearing the end of their career. That's not a winning strategy in the NFL. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

We don't need a good vet. We just need better players who we can build around on offense for the next several seasons.

A one year rental with a $14 mil price tag is less valuable for this franchise and where we are in the rebuild than the 2nd or 3rd round pick it will take to get him. 

As I said, stop trading away draft picks on players nearing the end of their career. That's not a winning strategy in the NFL. 

Oh I am not for paying a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. If that's the price I wouldn't do it. I suspect a 4th and a late rounder might be enough. And I disagree on the vet. I do think we need someone on the field who is not a 1st or 2nd year guy. I can't think of a single offense in the NFL that is productive without any experience at WR. You just need someone so that if you take a guy in the 2nd next year for example the pressure isn't on him to come in and be "the guy" straight away in year one when he will be playing with a QB with likely less than 10 starts, and a totally rebuilt offensive line.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I am not for paying a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. If that's the price I wouldn't do it. I suspect a 4th and a late rounder might be enough. And I disagree on the vet. I do think we need someone on the field who is not a 1st or 2nd year guy. I can't think of a single offense in the NFL that is productive without any experience at WR. You just need someone so that if you take a guy in the 2nd next year for example the pressure isn't on him to come in and be "the guy" straight away in year one when he will be playing with a QB with likely less than 10 starts, and a totally rebuilt offensive line.

I just don't think Thomas is the guy who we need. Josh Allen desperately needs a deep threat who can take the top off a coverage. 

If you're trading a pick for a veteran WR, trade a pick for Desean Jackson. The guy is still an elite deep threat who would create space underneath for other pass catchers. I think he's a better fit with Allen. 

I'm not into trading picks away for players at this point, but that's the guy I'd go after if he's available. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I just don't think Thomas is the guy who we need. Josh Allen desperately needs a deep threat who can take the top off a coverage. 

If you're trading a pick for a veteran WR, trade a pick for Desean Jackson. The guy is still an elite deep threat who would create space underneath for other pass catchers. I think he's a better fit with Allen. 

See I go completely the opposite way. I think you need someone who is savvy and can run routes not just a guy who blazes past people. Desean is a year older and totally speed reliant. If he loses a step he is basically useless.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I go completely the opposite way. I think you need someone who is savvy and can run routes not just a guy who blazes past people. Desean is a year older and totally speed reliant. If he loses a step he is basically useless.

He's 31 years old and he still blows past CBs on a regular basis. You're renting the guy for 1 year. Hard to imagine him going from elite deep threat to useless player in a 12 month span.

Thomas is a slowing down possession receiver. 

Allen's game is predicated on pushing the ball down the field. This offense desperately needs a deep threat who can actually get open deep, because right now there's plenty of evidence that Benjamin and Zay Jones can't do that, and Thomas isn't doing that in Denver. 

Adding a deep threat would open up the running game by allowing us to face fewer stacked boxes and it would give Allen more simple reads to attack. If he sees two high safeties, he's probably facing Cover 2 designed to limit Jackson. If he sees one safety move into the box and it looks like Cover 1 or Cover 3, you know you've got a guy on the outside who can beat his man deep, so attack that look when you get the shot.

Personally I'd just sign Tyrell Williams and use 2-3 draft picks on wide receivers, and go into next year with Williams as my deep threat, Zay Jones as my #3, and let my rookies compete for the #2 gig. 

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

He's 31 years old and he still blows past CBs on a regular basis. You're renting the guy for 1 year. Hard to imagine him going from elite deep threat to useless player in a 12 month span.

Thomas is a slowing down possession receiver. 

Allen's game is predicated on pushing the ball down the field. This offense desperately needs a deep threat who can actually get open deep, because right now there's plenty of evidence that Benjamin and Zay Jones can't do that, and Thomas isn't doing that in Denver. 

I'm not as convinced that a deep threat is the answer to all our woes. Personally I would still go for the better route runner.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I'm not as convinced that a deep threat is the answer to all our woes. Personally I would still go for the better route runner.

We don't have a single guy on our roster who can get behind the defense. 

That makes us unbelievably easy to defend. 

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Viable in two years? Big maybe, if they continue to sit on their hands and do jack ***** for the offense they'll never be viable. 

I think we do some major overhauling to the offense in the offseason, they haven't sat on their hands with the offense it's just a young group... QB Josh Allen, WR Zay Jones , RB Chris Ivory, RB Marcus Murphy, OT Dion Dawkins, that isn't doing jack *****, they just need to start maturing now and progressing.