Sports TV broadcasters dress code...

LabattBlue

I often wonder why sports broadcasters wear coats and ties?  Considering the audience, and the environment they work in, wouldn't matching golf shirts and khakis be perfectly acceptable to the viewers? 

Would any focus group come to the conclusion that "I want the broadcasters to be dressed in suits"? 

Just seems ridiculous at a time when so many workplaces now have relaxed dress codes.

This includes PbP guys, analysts, TV sports talk shows, TV news sportscasters, etc...

Edited by LabattBlue

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I often wonder why sports broadcasters wear coats and ties?  Considering the audience, and the environment they work in, wouldn't matching golf shirts and khakis be perfectly acceptable to the viewers? 

Would any focus group come to the conclusion that "I want the broadcasters to be dressed in suits"? 

Just seems ridiculous at a time when so many workplaces now have relaxed dress codes.

It's an FCC requirement.  They created it after that one time Chris Berman and Charlie Steiner tried doing SportsCenter in hot pink leather thongs.

• Haha (+1) 1

I have often pondered this and also think it's stupid.

What is more stupid is the new way of moving the on air personalities around on set and using different camera angles, so that you can see them wearing their suits and ties...with sneakers.

That ***** really bugs me.

I watch almost none of this type of thing anymore though, so what the hell.

Presentation is 90% of the sale.  Whoever dresses Howie Long knows what they are doing.  He looks sharp.  Color combinations are spot on.  

I wish that NFL coaches would be held to a higher dress code.  The visors, the Marrone look, the BB just woke up from a nap look - all should go.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Certainly gives "Follow me to freedom!" a new meaning, doesn't it?  

Ah yes, I remember that one fondly......

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

Great, now I'll be watching this and "Francis Scott Off Key" all day.  Thanks Tom.

I watched that live as it happened. Jack Edwards had his head on the desk laughing.

54 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I always thought it was  a double standard that women on those shows could wear cocktail dresses  but the guys out there in August had to be sweating to death in suits and ties.   But it is what it is. 

Boxing takes the entire cake and pot of coffee. Trying to get Dr. Ferdie Pacheko to wear a tux for a main event was nearly impossible...Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant seem to drip in the gloss. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

It's better than baseball managers and coaches wearing a full uniform.  Now that's ridiculous.

Boooooooooo!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Boxing takes the entire cake and pot of coffee. Trying to get Dr. Ferdie Pacheko to wear a tux for a main event was nearly impossible...Jim Lampley and Larry Merchant seem to drip in the gloss. 

Boooooooooo!

I always thought those guys looked good all dressed up for a boxing match.   If I were going to go to one I'd dress up too. 

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I always thought those guys looked good all dressed up for a boxing match.   If I were going to go to one I'd dress up too. 

It's really unfortunate that boxing has nearly fell off the map,I guess the MMA is king now...The young generation demands constant action and blood...they have no interest in a 12 round bout...unless it's a Ward/Gatti type bloodbath.

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

It's really unfortunate that boxing has nearly fell off the map,I guess the MMA is king now...The young generation demands constant action and blood...they have no interest in a 12 round bout...unless it's a Ward/Gatti type bloodbath.

MMA is a cockfight IMO i really don't watch it.  I know there is skill and a lot involved, but I still like boxing better.   There just aren't as many stars as there used to be.   

But when Roy Jones Jr was in his prime, those were fun fights to watch. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's got to be some sort of professionalism for the brand. You dont want to see some schlub in sweatpants and a wife beater or business casual khakis and polo shirts. The CEO wears a suit, the guys on TV representing the brand wear a suit.

5 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

MMA is a cockfight IMO i really don't watch it.  I know there is skill and a lot involved, but I still like boxing better.   There just aren't as many stars as there used to be.   

But when Roy Jones Jr was in his prime, those were fun fights to watch. 

I never was a huge boxing guy, but I knew and appreciated Jones, Amir Khan, DeLaHoya and some others. It just always seemed to me that boxing was so corrupt.  I'm not sure how 3 judges watching the same fight could score it so different. 

On 10/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, Misterbluesky said:

It's like how the forward pass changed football.

Why would we just box, just kick, just grapple, or just wrestle when we can do all of the above?

On 10/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, jr1 said:

ESPN, CBS or Fox polos should suffice

Yeah, I remember watching a sports broadcast like that. Maybe it was tennis...or the Olympics. Idk, but the commentators just had matching blue company polos.

I think I'd rather wear that if I was commentating.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:13 PM, eball said:

It's better than baseball managers and coaches wearing a full uniform.  Now that's ridiculous.

It's because baseball managers and coaches can play.  If they are put on roster.

I like it that they are dressed the same.  Egalitarian... One team.  Not the abortion in games now that have the coaches as all mighty Gods, bosses...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/25/2018 at 2:16 PM, LabattBlue said:

This includes PbP guys, analysts, TV sports talk shows, TV news sportscasters, etc...

Back in the old days people dressed up to go out. Pretty much everyone that was on tv wore suits. Probably just kept going from that and nobody wants to look like a slob in front of millions of people. I would wear a suit too if i had that job.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, Augie said:

I suspect this is wildly skewed by age group. I’m on the borderline here.... maybe younger than my actual age, but I appreciate dressing up for work. 

I'm low 30s and i agree with you.