Sports TV broadcasters dress code...

LabattBlue

On 10/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, DC Tom said:

It's an FCC requirement.  They created it after that one time Chris Berman and Charlie Steiner tried doing SportsCenter in hot pink leather thongs.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:31 PM, Seasons1992 said:

I can't unsee this. Thanks DC.

What is worse is the advertiser was paying them to wear and when they had a buy one, get one free advertisement DC Tom bought it so he could wear it with them and the damn FCC prevented him from doing so.   I never did hear if he got credit for return of item in slightly used condition.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

What is worse is the advertiser was paying them to wear and when they had a buy one, get one free advertisement DC Tom bought it so he could wear it with them and the damn FCC prevented him from doing so.   I never did hear if he got credit for return of item in slightly used condition.

Sold it on eBay.  Are you ever going to send me the check?

Probably has more to do with the fact that presenters on TV always wore suits. Back in the day when they started to broadcast sports, it was more common to dress in suits when going out in public. You wore a suit when going on a trip on a plane. Tou wore one to the store or to dinner. 

I think they just kept the dress code of wearing a suit as a presenter or host on TV and never felt the need to change. You do start to see sideline guys sometimes going a little more casual on occasion. Society in general is getting more casual and wear suits is no longer common for most people. 

Something I noticed after this thread on a number of the news shows.  Most of the men are heavy/out of shape and suits help to cover this up.  Most of the women on non-talk shows are in fabulous shape and could be doing some type of modelling but on the talk or morning shows most of the women are to put it nicely are "heavy" and would look better in suits.

Think reason why many of the sportscasters have not gone for golf type shirts is they are not in shape to wear them.