Allen not showing progress

PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I agree, I think his accuracy has been fine. He does not seem to read the field like an NFL QB. He is also much to quick to leave the pocket and run.

Agreed, he doesn't trust the protection .   Little bit better today but stepped into a sack from Watt.    Needs to work on shuffling his steps side to side to buy some time.  Maybe watch some tape of Marino and learn  that little hitch step.  Accuracy was good today besides the early throw at the feet of Clay.  Dabol's play calling  is terrible.  I wonder is they are preaching ball security so much he is second guessing throws  I'd like to see him just open up and chuck the rock down field and create some room for the under neath stuff.  Our offense is soooooo predictable. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Accuracy hasn't been his problem. Pocket awareness is his biggest weakness right now.

Accuracy and pocket awareness are probkems. 

Some guys are decisive. You watch Baker Mayfield and you instant understand he makes quick decisions and csnnread the field. Hell, even Peterman is decisive. Josh Allen reminds me of JP Losman, Tyrod Taylor or EJ Manual. He seems to wait to see someone open rather than anticipate. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Accuracy hasn't been his problem. Pocket awareness is his biggest weakness right now.

Agreed, he's still stepping into sacks.  Being a mobile qb he might trust his legs more than what he sees downfield.  I think the accuracy is really a non issue.  Processing what he sees is where he needs to make the next leap.  This loss stings but we could and should have won barring some dumb penalties and Peterpickman

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It is worrying because while I think he was better today than last week he is not showing clear progress. The Minnesota game looks like the anomoly at the moment. 

What "progress" are you guys referring to? Is it a specific statistic you're looking at? Or are you expecting one week he's going to suddenly be Tom Brady and until that happens, there's no progress?

55 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

Sorry, a bit early, but I am not seeing it.  We draft another guy next year until we get one.  If  Allen can survey field quicker, read defenses better, and actually, somehow, get some accuracy, then maybe, but not likley.

I’m not getting the accuracy comments at this point.  I don’t remember more than a pass or two that were inaccurate.

I am more concerned that he isn’t showing improvement in seeing the field.  I know the receivers are bottom 20% in the NFL, but occasionally someone has to be open - even if by a defensive mistake.  

He he should NEVER have been forced into the lineup this year.  The gamble that McCarron would be the vet starter failed miserably.  They STILL should have kept McCarron to take the beatings with this woeful supporting cast.  Put Patrick Mahomes with this group and I think he doesn’t look much better than Allen.  Mahomes has bonafide stars at bot WR positions with Tyrell Hill and Watkins, one of the top 5 TEs in Kelce and a top RB with Kareem Hunt.  

I will note that Hill, Kelce and Hunt were not high draft picks.  KC got lucky or was good with those mid round picks.  Bills have to do the same.

He threw 2 40 yard dimes before the late hits.  Here is the truth.  Allen is not holding the offense back. He is the only thing holding it together.  They have no one outside that creates separation.  The game was setting up for the formaula for how Buffalo wins.  Play good d.  Run the ball and Allen makes a handful of plays.  Buffalo has the slowest receiving corp and weapons in the NFL.  What do you expect from a rookie?  Hopefully, he isnt seriously hurt.  Being on the feild is the best thing for him and the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Uh...Arizona has one of the best WRs in the history of the league and the rookie WR we were trying to trade up for in the draft in the second round.  We don't have a #1 or #2 receiver on this roster.

jerry rice at one time was also one of the best wr in the history too but at some point he was just another old wr on the field. Don’t spew nonsense like fitz is still in the prime of his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

What "progress" are you guys referring to? Is it a specific statistic you're looking at? Or are you expecting one week he's going to suddenly be Tom Brady and until that happens, there's no progress?

No specific metric. Just need to to see flashes of him doing small things better. At the moment I am not seeing those. Whether it is progressions, consistency in his ball placement, identification of pressures... I am not expecting him to be a superstar. Just flash some improvements. Not seeing it. But it is hard to know how much to put on him in the mess. 

3 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

jerry rice at one time was also one of the best wr in the history too but at some point he was just another old wr on the field. Don’t spew nonsense like fitz is still in the prime of his career. 

Fitzgerald had over 100 receptions and 1,000 yards the last 3 seasons in a row.  Jerry Rice had three 1,000 receiving yard seasons and 3 more 800+ yard seasons when he was playing at an older age than Larry is today.  Get a clue buddy. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1