Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I'll assume he misses all of 2019 until I hear differently. The good news is that they will be forced to draft a qb in the first after they go 3-13. This could be a total blessing in disguise because Allen never had it to begin with. Let's go Sabres

And this is what I mean by Chao’s morning headline 

15 hours ago, Tyrion said:

What is this actually going to do? He sees that Anderson prepares differently? How? He studies film? I'm guessing Allen already does this. Is anyone doubting Alen's commitment or how he prepares? No. 

The value of Anderson is having him in Allen's ear WHILE ALLEN IS THE STARTER. 

Not watching journeyman Derek Anderson play football. 

I do, too...he's looking more and more comfortable and he's self-correcting the obvious mistakes. That's why he needs to play. 

So you want him to sit against one of the worst defenses in football and come back against the Patriots? 

If he injured his UCL? Yes. If it's bad he's likely out against the Pats anyway. I'm still hopeful for him, but playing injured isn't going to help anyone here. Having a week to sit down might actually do him more good regardless, synthesize performance to date, take a week for whatever is there with the elbow to dissipate, and prepare for NE (barring any unknown elbow status at this point.)

Edited by ctk232

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Great I wont rush back to go to or turn on a game either 

If he needs surgery there is No way you cannot take a QB with the 1st overall we will have at end of year 

You trade back and draft one either second round or maybe late first. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I'll assume he misses all of 2019 until I hear differently. The good news is that they will be forced to draft a qb in the first after they go 3-13. This could be a total blessing in disguise because Allen never had it to begin with. Let's go Sabres

See the source image

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This QB has been around long enough to have seen everything and if they simplify the offense he should do okay.  Mostly all he should be doing is handing off to McCoy, Ivory in a limited passing scheme. Daboll's offense wasn't going to fool defenses anyway so reduce it to round 20 scripted plays with dump offs, screens to Shady. 

With Anderson running the offense we will soon see what an experienced NFL QB can do with this surrounding cast. All he really need do is not pull a Peterman and not turn the ball over.

Again, Anderson isn't going to be the litmus test you may think he is. He may be better than Peterman, and hell, he may even be better in that limited capacity. But he won't give you much more to look at beyond this week if he plays.

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's somewhat contradictory.

The 3-4 throws between innings are not of the close play at first high velocity variety. I don't think you can factor them into the equation when comparing a SS to a QB anymore than you can a QB warming up before the game.

Regardless, it is not debatable that an MLB shortstop makes more high stress throws than a QB. All of those guys starting at the MLB level are guys who can throw 95, and they throw as hard as they can on many plays. 

My larger point, if you look above, is that a QB isn't an MLB pitcher and I honestly don't think the recovery time should be 15 months as it is for MLB pitchers. They just don't throw that much or nearly that hard. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this could be right. He was actually pretty darn accurate vs. Minnesota and late vs. SD, but he lost his accuracy in the GB game. The first thing that goes with UCL injuries is accuracy, and he was not accurate vs GB or against TN on deeper throws (and yes, I know he had accuracy issues already).

Bear in mind also that he was a pitcher in HS and was throwing low 90s then. Plus he was lighting up the radar gun all offseason to boost his draft stock. Wear and tear is how these injuries happen.

Let me ask you a question. Are you blind? Did you not see the Texans player smash his helmet into Josh's elbow. This was a blunt force injury and if you debate that you're crazy.

Here's the video for you:

https://twitter.com/meagantownsend/status/1052212802490957824

Edited by targetweight185

13 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I was wrong about thad Lewis only having 7 days, he had a month, but was only a 3rd year pro bouncing around on practice squads. In the game he played here he went 19/32 for 216 yards with 2 passing touchdowns and 0 interceptions and added 7 carries for 17 yards and 1 rushing touchdown

the bills lost that game 27-24 to the bengals in ot. Those are solid stats from a 3rd year pro who was starting for a team that had traded for him a month earlier.

Derek Anderson is a 13 year vet, been to the pro bowl. He can get ready in what amounts to 10 to 14 days.

Not expecting to be blown away or impressed with his play, but I do expect to see actual qb play something we havent seen from peterman minus 1 pass.

Well his last three starts, going back to 2016, he threw two INTs in the Falcons and Bucs, losing to both teams albeit fairly close scores. Threw an INT on his first play against the Seahawks and was pulled for Newton again. Think he may have had some garbage time play last year in the Wild Card game too. Point is 7/14 day prep or not, I honestly don't know how much better he will be than Peterman. I can't imagine it can get any worse, but how much better is it?

And of all those seasons qualifying him as a "vet" he's had three seasons where he put up more TDs than INTs. I get that I can pull any stats any day, but the point is just because the guy has been in the league for multiple years doesn't automatically qualify him in any regard. 

Funny part is I'm not entirely sure it matters who starts between Peterman and Anderson anymore. I'll still watch, hope for a win, and be fine either way knowing that this team wasn't meant to compete this year and just accepting the rebuild for what it is.

Edited by ctk232

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Regardless, it is not debatable that an MLB shortstop makes more high stress throws than a QB. All of those guys starting at the MLB level are guys who can throw 95, and they throw as hard as they can on many plays. 

My larger point, if you look above, is that a QB isn't an MLB pitcher and I honestly don't think the recovery time should be 15 months as it is for MLB pitchers. They just don't throw that much or nearly that hard. 

I agree with your broader point.

It's not just about velocity either. Off speed pitches are even more stressful than your run of the mill 4 seam fastball. The odd things an MLB pitcher has to do with his arm are far more complex than an NFL QB, so I would fully expect the recovery time to be lessened for a QB.

The thing that makes it tough to gauge is the rarity in which it's occurred. Someone else cited two examples(Delhomme and RJ).

Shortstop is probably the wrong position to compare recovery time to. Maybe like corner OF.

Edited by LSHMEAB

20 minutes ago, targetweight185 said:

Let me ask you a question. Are you blind? Did you not see the Texans player smash his helmet into Josh's elbow. This was a blunt force injury and if you debate that you're crazy.

Here's the video for you:

https://twitter.com/meagantownsend/status/1052212802490957824

I think his point is that there was already an elbow issue which got totally blown up by that helmet hit, and that's the reason for the severity of the injury

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He throws 3-4 times between innings every inning!  He also averages 375 assists per year not including preseason etc. NFL QBs average around 450 throws per full season. Not much difference, and they don't throw it as hard as an MLB shortstop.

I think throwing a curve ball stresses the arm in ways that QBs never experience, not to mention 95 mph fastballs on a regular basis. For that reason I think pitchers have much more wear and tear on than arms compared to QBs. 

I don’t think the same can be said about shortstops, though. Yes, they have many more reps, but QBs are throwing an object 3x heavier and I think that needs to be considered as well.