Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think letting him sit for a couple of weeks could help more than going out there and making the same mistakes repeatedly.  For everyone gushing over Mahomes, he played one game last season, so sitting can work.  I think the original plan was for Allen to sit, but he looked as good as the other two.  That was the big problem AJM never played up to expectations.

Agreed - sitting him for a week, regardless of elbow severity might be helpful, unless the elbow is absolutely 100%. The only harm here is Anderson is not ready to play Sunday, and we all know what will happen with Peterman in there.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:28 PM, wppete said:

I hope we don’t see Josh Allen again this year. Put in Derrick Anderson and let him manage the game with this Defense.

At least Peterman sits in the pocket and throws the ball. Allen just runs out of the pocket after his first read. 

WTF is McDermott doing?!?!?

what does that mean...manage the game? You still have to pass and score.  Anderson is maybe a step above Peterman.

Edited by nucci
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If I'm beane and get the slightest hint peterman might start I cut him and force McDermott to play Anderson ala billy beane in moneyball style

You honestly think Anderson is ready to play by Sunday?

Just now, nucci said:

what does that mean...manage the game? You still have to pass and score.  Anderson is maybe a step above Peterman.

Means they want to win now and not worry about next season while our Defense is playing like this. Not only is it shortsighted but Anderson is not that guy either. Let them have fun with that pipe dream though.

I'd rather see Allen if healthy, Anderson if not, but otherwise focused on building a competitive team beyond just this year...focusing on a playoff berth seems a bit out of the question given how things have progressed thus far. Retain our defensive talent, hit the offseason equipped with the cap and draft pick weapons we have, give that a year to develop, and then start the chicken little posts. Gonna need about 2 years for the process to even get remotely close to the intended goal.

Went thru the sixers process and it's still going - not all processes are equal, but they are all time consuming. Never heard of an overnight process...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McBeane are two morons.

How they left the QB position like this is a fireable offense to both of them. 

While it's easy for us to sit here and say "culley isn't the guy to coach Allen" (I've said this for one), and "Peterman should've been cut." What else should they have done?

Going into the season they thought they could sit Allen a year and focus on internally developing him. We were all fooled by the preseason and thought we'd actually be okay with Peterman. AJM turned out to not be the QB we were expecting and threw the first wrench in our QB depth chart. But we all expected Peterman to have progressed to manage the team for this year at least, and combining that with minimal cap led us into the season with two qb's on the roster, fairly average across the league. Peterman flops and forces McBeane's collective hand to start Allen. Allen performs as expected and now we're all crying out as though this would've ended up differently had Culley not been the coach, or we had more talented players, or cut Peterman and picked up another guy.

With what cap would we have been able to cut Peterman and bring on a solid back up QB? Who's even available that could fit that role AND be better than Peterman? No way we trade and waste capital for the rebuild that we are currently in. While they aren't entirely off the hook, I'm not exactly sure what else could have been done. Where it becomes a fireable offense is how they address this with all of the weapons we have in the offseason. Not many excuses can be made after that. Idc if you're the literal QB guru, no coach could make Allen serviceable in this amount of time, and he needs the year to develop at least. But to expect anything other than what we are seeing is a bit ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

To win. I think that if McD feels Anderson gives the team the best chance to win that he will play him.

While I agree that Anderson hasn’t been a good QB, neither has Allen. The Bills think so little of Allen that they refuse to run an NFL offense, it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that McD has more confidence in Anderson.

Allen is going to play if he is healthy and I thought McD was pretty clear about it.  Spoke about how disappointing it was that Josh could not finish the game because it would have been a great learning experience.  This does not sound like a coach who is thinking of pulling him for any reason.  

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

You honestly think Anderson is ready to play by Sunday?

Yes. There have been qb's play with less time to prepare. I think Thad Lewis played with 7 day prep when he played here a number of years ago

Anderson is vet, he should be able to pick up the game plan that's installed this week. He obviously won't know the entire playbook but should know enough. Other guys on offense will need to step up and help with calls at the line

1 hour ago, ctk232 said:

While it's easy for us to sit here and say "culley isn't the guy to coach Allen" (I've said this for one), and "Peterman should've been cut." What else should they have done?

Going into the season they thought they could sit Allen a year and focus on internally developing him. We were all fooled by the preseason and thought we'd actually be okay with Peterman. AJM turned out to not be the QB we were expecting and threw the first wrench in our QB depth chart. But we all expected Peterman to have progressed to manage the team for this year at least, and combining that with minimal cap led us into the season with two qb's on the roster, fairly average across the league. Peterman flops and forces McBeane's collective hand to start Allen. Allen performs as expected and now we're all crying out as though this would've ended up differently had Culley not been the coach, or we had more talented players, or cut Peterman and picked up another guy.

With what cap would we have been able to cut Peterman and bring on a solid back up QB? Who's even available that could fit that role AND be better than Peterman? No way we trade and waste capital for the rebuild that we are currently in. While they aren't entirely off the hook, I'm not exactly sure what else could have been done. Where it becomes a fireable offense is how they address this with all of the weapons we have in the offseason. Not many excuses can be made after that. Idc if you're the literal QB guru, no coach could make Allen serviceable in this amount of time, and he needs the year to develop at least. But to expect anything other than what we are seeing is a bit ridiculous.

How about AJM who we are still paying for? He got injured in preseason. He did not throw a wrench in anything, when he played he played well.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

How about AJM who we are still paying for? He got injured in preseason. He did not throw a wrench in anything, when he played he played well.

Did he really? He was hapless until he had to lead the 3rd team to a comeback over another 3rd team in the preseason. Yes, he got hurt - but he wasn't exactly any sort of solution. Did we trade away the wrong guy? Not necessarily either as Peterman wouldn't be had for a bag of balls. The only thing we did have was Peterman's preseason performance, which was beguiling compared to his play in the regular season, and the potential to trade AJM for future capital. Which we did.

AJM wouldn't have had us in any better of a position. Yes, this is my humble opinion. I get that it's easy to say anything is better than Peterman and the fact is that right now there's definitely worse scenarios. Like starting an aging Anderson who we just signed, wasn't much better when healthy and fit, and also doesn't know the playbook.

1 hour ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Yes. There have been qb's play with less time to prepare. I think Thad Lewis played with 7 day prep when he played here a number of years ago

Anderson is vet, he should be able to pick up the game plan that's installed this week. He obviously won't know the entire playbook but should know enough. Other guys on offense will need to step up and help with calls at the line

I'll agree to disagree here - it's not just knowing the playbook, though I'd say that's the majority of the reason for me. I also think we're giving Anderson too much credit...

And how exactly did Thad do coming off that week? With a different team and coaching staff around him? I've seen QBs play off of seven day preps on a completely new team as well, can't remember how many of those actually went well...

Edited by ctk232

19 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Did he really? He was hapless until he had to lead the 3rd team to a comeback over another 3rd team in the preseason. Yes, he got hurt - but he wasn't exactly any sort of solution. Did we trade away the wrong guy? Not necessarily either as Peterman wouldn't be had for a bag of balls. The only thing we did have was Peterman's preseason performance, which was beguiling compared to his play in the regular season, and the potential to trade AJM for future capital. Which we did.

AJM wouldn't have had us in any better of a position. Yes, this is my humble opinion. I get that it's easy to say anything is better than Peterman and the fact is that right now there's plenty worse. Like, an aging Anderson who we just signed, wasn't much better when healthy and fit, and also doesn't know the playbook. 

Trading AJM was about the most boneheaded decision the coaching staff has made thus far. Them signing Anderson proves the poor decision several weeks to late if they just realized that Nate Sucks or that Josh needs a mentor.

Please tell me how AJM would not have us in a better position and what out there is worse then Peterman. I gave Nate a fair shake last year and as a day 1 starter for the record.

I will sum it up this way. I like McD as a HC a lot and want to see him continue here and succeed. If we start Peterman next week and he flops hardcore it's all on coach, if he gets **** canned by ownership, I wouldn't look back twice. This is not putting your team in position to win. An aging Anderson is still a better QB nasty Nate is blindfolded.

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Brian Daboll: “Nate a young player, too. Obviously the production hasn’t been there when he has played. … One of the hardest working guys we got, so we just need to continue to build him up and improve him and get him better."

Holy crap sometimes its just best for some of these coaches to just say nothing....and this is our OC.....god help us all in this fanbase.....

21 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Trading AJM was about the most boneheaded decision the coaching staff has made thus far. Them signing Anderson proves the poor decision several weeks to late if they just realized that Nate Sucks or that Josh needs a mentor.

Please tell me how AJM would not have us in a better position and what out there is worse then Peterman. I gave Nate a fair shake last year and as a day 1 starter for the record.

I will sum it up this way. I like McD as a HC a lot and want to see him continue here and succeed. If we start Peterman next week and he flops hardcore it's all on coach, if he gets **** canned by ownership, I wouldn't look back twice. This is not putting your team in position to win. An aging Anderson is still a better QB nasty Nate is blindfolded.

Don't mistake my argument for support of Peterman. I just don't honestly see a better scenario for next week at this point. Realize that might have been misleading. Oddly, I'd rather Anderson than AJM starting past this week - given the times AJM has played for the Bengals, plus what we were able to see from his preseason, there isn't much else there compared to Peterman. Maybe we'd see 2-3 less INTs per game, but the arm strength and decision making are still suspect. There's a reason he was dealt and hasn't had a second look to be a team's starter in his career thus far.