Would you approve of GPS-tagging children to combat human trafficking in the United States?

dpberr

Crossed my mind reading about the US Marshals operation in Michigan yesterday that found 123 missing children in a single day.  They were looking for over 300.  I realize children go missing for many reasons but the fact that they were looking for 300 unaccounted for children in one county alone is alarming.  I'd think a single missing child is a big deal.  

Would you support parents having the option of implanting a GPS tracker into their children?  The tracker could only be turned on by law enforcement and upon turning 18, the child could have it removed, no questions asked. 

Would even such an idea work to cut down on human trafficking in the United States?  Thoughts?  You're clearly trading off freedom for security with the concept.  

29 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Crossed my mind reading about the US Marshals operation in Michigan yesterday that found 123 missing children in a single day.  They were looking for over 300.  I realize children go missing for many reasons but the fact that they were looking for 300 unaccounted for children in one county alone is alarming.  I'd think a single missing child is a big deal.  

Would you support parents having the option of implanting a GPS tracker into their children?  The tracker could only be turned on by law enforcement and upon turning 18, the child could have it removed, no questions asked. 

Would even such an idea work to cut down on human trafficking in the United States?  Thoughts?  You're clearly trading off freedom for security with the concept.  

No.

Massive privacy concerns.

I am against this.

However, our care team has care-planned some of our at-home elderly dementia participants with GPS necklaces.

But it is rare and only with the caregivers permission.

Edited by B-Man

33 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I am against this.

However, our care team has care-planned some of our at-home elderly dementia participants with GPS necklaces.

But it is rare and only with the caregivers permission.

Have you had to use them?  How'd they work?  

There was a pretty good Black Mirror about this idea but with more to it.  

For me the bottom line is that power shouldn't be centralized.  Giving the government this type of power just has to be a bad idea.  With that said, it sure would be nice if parents had a way to find their children if God forbid something like that happened.  

Some genius might be able to design something someday.  An on/off switch controlled by the parent that can be trusted and secure?  

15 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Have you had to use them?  How'd they work?  

Thankfully no. 

Though they are "at risk" people, all of our family caregivers are doing a good job.

At some point, it will come into play I am sure.

and for those "free healthcare" simpletons.................why don't we have one on every participant ?............prohibitive cost

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think they call it an iPhone...

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

Welllllll we chip dogs to catch the escapees ...

No, absolutely not. The privacy concerns for the child + family outweigh any possible good.  That, and as mentioned above, the traffickers would either cut them out of the child's body or quickly find a way to neutralize the chips, regardless of whether or not the child was hurt (they are human traffickers, after all). 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Welllllll we chip dogs to catch the escapees ...

No, absolutely not. The privacy concerns for the child + family outweigh any possible good.  That, and as mentioned above, the traffickers would either cut them out of the child's body or quickly find a way to neutralize the chips, regardless of whether or not the child was hurt (they are human traffickers, after all). 

If I were a trafficker, I'd be hacking the database the chips are registered with, to change the data and establish a false trail of identity and custody for the kid.

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

I don't know but I sure as heck hope there is a hell so such scum (human trafficker) wind up in the lowest depths once there.

53 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

If I were a trafficker, I'd be hacking the database the chips are registered with, to change the data and establish a false trail of identity and custody for the kid.

Or even hacking in and using it to locate children.

13 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Are we talking about tracking kids who entered this country illegally?

Not entirely sure on that.  Based on the news articles about that operation in Michigan, it appears all the children were residents of that area that were declared "missing" by somebody who cared about them enough to call the police.