How often do "project" quarterbacks work out?

Klaista2k

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I understand what you mean, but completely sheltering Allen and virtually taking the ball out of his throwing hand, as we did against the Titans, makes zero sense.

He needs to play the position fully, and learn/develop if/where/when he can.

if Derek Anderson plays a game without Allen being injured, I'll go insane.

I agree with you.  Imo they need to script getting Allen in rythem.  They did it once this year @ Minn.  It's not a surprise it was his best game.  

Everybody mentions Locker, but another guy you could compare Allen to is Ryan Tannehill. Both are uber talented but had less than stellar numbers in college. Largely drafted on potential and also in the top 10, but not top 5 due to concerns about his accuracy.

When I think of project QB, I think of a guy who's production didn't match his talent at the collegiate level.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Everybody mentions Locker, but another guy you could compare Allen to is Ryan Tannehill. Both are uber talented but had less than stellar numbers in college. Largely drafted on potential and also in the top 10, but not top 5 due to concerns about his accuracy.

When I think of project QB, I think of a guy who's production didn't match his talent at the collegiate level.

Cam Newton was a project too IIRC, people questioned if he could be a pocket QB or if he was just a gimmicky running QB. Many Bills fans didn't even want him at 3.

52 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

This is not true.  Jared Goff and Wentz "worked out" year 2.  Derek Carr "worked out" year 2.  Russell Wilson "worked out" year 1.  

And gone down hill ever since.  He's a great example of the second tier "franchise QB" which I define as decent QB's had 1 or 2 very good years, get paid top franchise $$ once their rookie contract is over, but once they're paid that amount, not enough money left to field a top level team around them.  Some QB's Rodgers, Fauve, Brady Manning, Brees are good enough that they can take decent talent around them and still keep the team at the top level.  But guys like  Wilson, Newton, Flacco, Daulton, etc don't have enough talent for the money they earn.

38 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

There is already talk in LA about drafting a QB to replace Goff because they feel it is the best way to keep talent and get draft picks back.  If they decide to move on after next year to save cap space is he a success?

Do you have a link to this? I've heard nothing of the sort.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Cam Newton was a project too IIRC, people questioned if he could be a pocket QB or if he was just a gimmicky running QB. Many Bills fans didn't even want him at 3.

He threw for 400 yards in each of his first two games... He was drafted to immediately start. 

Just now, Ol Dirty B said:

Do you have a link to this? I've heard nothing of the sort.

That was a theory Barnwell wrote about last week  Basically trade off your qb before his rookie contract is up to allow you to spend his cap money on other positions while endlessly reloading at qb  That way you to dont end up with Joe Flucco long term and no money for the rest of your roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

That was a theory Barnwell wrote about last week  Basically trade off your qb before his rookie contract is up to allow you to spend his cap money on other positions while endlessly reloading at qb  That way you to dont end up with Joe Flucco long term and no money for the rest of your roster. 

Ok I missed it. I'll have to check out that article, that's crazy to me. 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He threw for 400 yards in each of his first two games... He was drafted to immediately start. 

That just means you, like the Panthers were right. I wanted Cam Newton desperately, but many many many Bills fans didn't even want him at 3, there were rumors that the Panthers were open to trading out of 1, ultimately they didn't get an offer they liked. Cam Newton was highly controversial coming out, whether you or I liked him doesn't matter, he was thought to be a runner that may never be a polished passer.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

That just means you, like the Panthers were right. I wanted Cam Newton desperately, but many many many Bills fans didn't even want him at 3, there were rumors that the Panthers were open to trading out of 1, ultimately they didn't get an offer they liked. Cam Newton was highly controversial coming out, whether you or I liked him doesn't matter, he was thought to be a runner that may never be a polished passer.

Oh no trust me, I wasn't right. I didn't want him at all. I'll admit I was totally wrong on him. I didn't trust the 1 year at Auburn and thought he relied on his legs too much.

I was completely wrong. I could be wrong here too. I just don't recall him being a labelled a project QB.

When I think of project QBs, I think of guys drafted to sit and learn. Or atleast that is an aspect of it in my view. Guys like Allen, Rudolph, or going way back like a Daunte Culpepper. Guys drafted to sit and develop are more project QBs. Tebow was a project QB in my opinion. I just remember Newton being a different caliber prospect than these guys.

Again, it was 7 years ago so I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

How often do these young quarterbacks that  are considered "projects" actually pan out?

Do they usually bust or is there a lot of examples of guys that have actually worked out?

I dunno...Favre was considered a Project QB to some degree...by his own admission if he stayed in Atlanta he would been a bust.

1 minute ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Oh no trust me, I wasn't right. I didn't want him at all. I'll admit I was totally wrong on him. I didn't trust the 1 year at Auburn and thought he relied on his legs too much.

I was completely wrong. I could be wrong here too. I just don't recall him being a labelled a project QB.

When I think of project QBs, I think of guys drafted to sit and learn. Or atleast that is an aspect of it in my view. Guys like Allen, Rudolph, or going way back like a Daunte Culpepper. Guys drafted to sit and develop are more project QBs. Tebow was a project QB in my opinion. I just remember Newton being a different caliber prospect than these guys.

Again, it was 7 years ago so I could be wrong.

Oh, yes, the Panthers weren't even sure about him, when I heard they were shopping the #1 pick, I wanted Buffalo to go up from #3. Anyways yeah. People highly questioned whether or not he'd be a complete QB.

Our definition of project QB is completely different by the way. Your definition fits under my spectrum but my definition is simply a QB that is insanely talented with major holes in his game. A project QB can and has started right away before in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Oh, yes, the Panthers weren't even sure about him, when I heard they were shopping the #1 pick, I wanted Buffalo to go up from #3. Anyways yeah. People highly questioned whether or not he'd be a complete QB.

Our definition of project QB is completely different by the way. Your definition fits under my spectrum but my definition is simply a QB that is insanely talented with major holes in his game. A project QB can and has started right away before in the past.

Fair enough, I can see how Cam would fit that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

So what is a reach at the draft.  An early first round pick that was in the mix to go #1 overall?  A guy taken 3rd, 7th, 10th, 32nd, 2nd round, 3rd round.  

Every QB drafted this year needs work and are reaches for different reasons.  All of them struggled and only 1 started the season as a starter.

Again you can troll all you want, but JA is no more of a reach than any of the other QBs drafted - they all need work and we will know if 3-4 years if any or all of these guys will work out.

Don’t fall for it. If everyone ignored these posts they would go away. 

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And gone down hill ever since.  He's a great example of the second tier "franchise QB" which I define as decent QB's had 1 or 2 very good years, get paid top franchise $$ once their rookie contract is over, but once they're paid that amount, not enough money left to field a top level team around them.  Some QB's Rodgers, Fauve, Brady Manning, Brees are good enough that they can take decent talent around them and still keep the team at the top level.  But guys like  Wilson, Newton, Flacco, Daulton, etc don't have enough talent for the money they earn.

Russell Wilson has absolutely not gone down hill.

He's easily one of the top 10 QB's in football. Possibly top 5. Don't be fooled by Seattle's demise.