Big question- did the first humans cook meat or fish?

mead107

Corollary question: how many forest fires before someone discovered ganja? Or if they ate it first, which caveman Einstein determined incineration/inhalation trumped digestion? But if they ate it first, how many cases of tracheal poison ivy did they endure before they struck gold?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Did somebody mention "tartare."  The Monguls/Tartars would tenderize meat by riding on it while on horseback. Eat it raw.

When I came back stateside,I jived my way into a SERE course courtesy of the Corps.We drank our urine,ate raw elk which included organ meat, since the limitation of any access to flame was grossly low in a wet,damp forest...but a fella we called Junkman got us lit..the raw consumption was rough.I vote flame....and don't trust wild mushrooms.Igotchopeyoteritehea.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

When I came back stateside,I jived my way into a SERE course courtesy of the Corps.We drank our urine,ate raw elk which included organ meat, since the limitation of any access to flame was grossly low in a wet,damp forest...but a fella we called Junkman got us lit..the raw consumption was rough.I vote flame....and don't trust wild mushrooms.Igotchopeyoteritehea.

Yikes!  That sounds so offal!

12 hours ago, mead107 said:

How did humans learn about fire to cook meat and fish ? 

Veggies? 

My uneducated guess is when there were fires in the forest or savanna, animals were trapped and burned. Hungry early humans found them, liked it and must have made the connection. So I'm going to say Animals, final answer.

I'm guessing something fell into the fire and they pulled it out and ate it in the morning and it tasted pretty good. 

There's some research on how cooking food allowed for the enormous expansion of brainpower in humans; bigger brains coincided w/ smaller jaws and teeth as we didn't need to be masticating tough raw fare. Cooking also requires patience, planning, and can increase the nutritional quality of many foods, enabling us to spend more time on developing society instead of constantly searching for our next meal. Cooking and agriculture were perhaps two of the biggest developments in our species' history.