JoeF

Bills claim DT Jordan Phillips

Posted (edited)

MOAR Fish on the market. He’s underwhelming and always hurt but talented and better than who we have ... no way Gase trades in the division though I’m guessing 

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They play different positions. Star is holding blocks, Phillips is rushing the passer. He's a 3 tech built like a 1 tech.

It's nice when we can differentiate beyond just a "DT" - our middle rotation needs both JPhillips and Star for those exact reasons. 

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

MOAR Fish on the market. He’s underwhelming and always hurt but talented and better than who we have ... no way Gase trades in the division though I’m guessing 

Depends on what we'd have to give up - I'd almost rather attempt a pick at one of the top WR in this year's class and develop a corps internally. Match the pick with an FA signing and we will be a right sight better here.

What would make my day is if KB finds his hands again, and Zay becomes more of the reliable WR we've seen the past two games. And the above happens. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

It's nice when we can differentiate beyond just a "DT" - our middle rotation needs both JPhillips and Star for those exact reasons. 

Depends on what we'd have to give up - I'd almost rather attempt a pick at one of the top WR in this year's class and develop a corps internally. Match the pick with an FA signing and we will be a right sight better here.

What would make my day is if KB finds his hands again, and Zay becomes more of the reliable WR we've seen the past two games. And the above happens. 

The FA class is meh but they should sign at least one. Ideally they should trade for one (since FA is meh ... plus Buffalo is not an attractive FA spot for a WR ...plus they have to do everything they can to get someone decent) , sign one in FA (#2 or 3 type) and draft one. Overhaul the WR group completely and keep maybe just Zay and Ray Ray for next year. They still have some potential.

Edited by YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The FA class is meh but they should sign at least one. Ideally they should trade for one (since FA is meh ... plus Buffalo is not an attractive FA spot for a WR ...plus they have to do everything they can to get someone decent) , sign one in FA (#2 or 3 type) and draft one. Overhaul the WR group completely and keep maybe just Zay and Ray Ray for next year. They still have some potential.

I've been meaning to look at the FA class but there are likely a few names to bid for that would be a marked improvement over our current corps. We also have the money to compensate for a lackluster destination of WRs, though we shouldn't overspend it either. I think we should also hold onto as many as we can until we figure out who fits best and where. 

Regardless of KB's play however, if he goes we'll need to supplement the corps with more size.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s underwhelming and always hurt but talented

Yeah he's a slightly below average receiver. That makes him our #1 receiver by default. But no way we could trade with the Dolphins.

So much for changing the culture. The guy can play better than anyone we have at the position.

The hell with the culture.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — When he was finished ripping through the Titans’ offensive line, pumping up the crowd at New Era Field and dancing around the field, Jordan Phillips scrolled through his phone and smiled.

Phillips briefly stepped aside from celebrating a 13-12 win with his new Buffalo Bills teammates and took a peek at his Twitter. It was flooded with supportive messages from Bills fans. He started to retweet them.

On Tuesday, the Dolphins released Phillips after drafting him in the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft. The Bills claimed him on Wednesday and worked to get him up to speed. By Sunday, Phillips was acclimated enough to play 31 percent of the Bills’ defensive snaps and record three tackles and a pass defended.

“It was amazing honestly,” Phillips said. “To come out and be accepted and the first thing they say is be yourself when you get here. That’s all I needed to hear. It was great.”

Phillips had a rocky ending to his time in Miami, including a sideline argument with coaches days before his release. He said that wasn’t the reason he was let go, but rather the final example of a poor fit.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

I made a special effort to watch Star because he seems to be an invisible player. There is a reason for his invisibility: he is swallowing up two defenders and holding up the middle of the line. He's Edmond's best friend by keeping blockers off of him and allowing him to run to the ball. 

Star's role is relatively simple: Occupy blockers and hold the line of scrimmage. It's not a role easily measured by stats. It's a tough role and a critical role. The bottom line is that he was a good pickup.   

yep i watch him as in spurts. he actually got some push a couple times.

against two blockers. nearly always two blockers so far this season.

not bad when you see two on Kyle and two on Star  same play !
and yes Phillips was having some fun out there.

I like him so far

Philips is a great addition to our team. Glad we were able to get him. 😎

Perfect player for a rotation.  Has a great size and speed combination.  He can make plays in spurts and take his rest as needed.  He is now a very interesting story the rest of the way for me.  But how does he move that fast being that size?  Can't teach that.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 5:50 PM, No Place To Hyde said:

He was upset being in a rotation. He's going to be part of a rotation if he's even active on gane day.

This should end Well.

Yep,Actually it did!

On 10/4/2018 at 2:02 AM, iinii said:

And he is going to be what part of the culture/process?

Blowing up the O-Line part.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 5:37 PM, DBilz2500 said:

A trade even would be fine but something to at least give Allen a little help around him. 

The problem isn’t that they haven’t made moves, IMO, it’s that the moves they’ve made have been bad- drafting Zay Jones in the 2nd, trading a Darby for for Jordan Matthews and decent draft picks for Kelvin Benjamin. That’s a good starter plus a 2nd, 3rd and 7th round pick for zero basically.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:40 AM, Foreigner said:

So much for changing the culture. The guy can play better than anyone we have at the position.

The hell with the culture.

People here seem to think that because some fans think Phillips is a cancer or a bad locker room guy that it's true and that McD and Beane think the same.

And that's simply not true. They're trying to change the culture and you can bet that if they thought Phillips would screw it up they wouldn't have brought him in. And that if he does screw things up, he'll be gone quick, with virtually no bad effects for the Bills at the miniscule amount they're paying him.

Edited by Thurman#1

I was at the game today and let me just tell you.  This guy brings energy.  He is jumping up and down on the sidelines getting the crowd into it.