Bills claim DT Jordan Phillips

JoeF

From Joe B's Game Summary:

7) Jordan Phillips fits right in
- When the Bills saw defensive tackle Jordan Phillips get released by the Miami Dolphins, they likely didn't think twice about putting in a waiver claim for him. Phillips, a former second-round pick that played a ton of snaps in Miami, isn't what you would think that he is. At 6-foot-6 and 341-pounds, those players have the reputation of being the block aggregators -- the ones that take on the double teams and let the rest of their teammates make the play. However, his combination of both power and speed in such a big package make him a viable option in the penetrating role of three-technique defensive tackle -- and that's the spot we primarily saw him against the Titans. His impact on the game, in limited snaps, was a big one. He made a pair of tackles behind the line of scrimmage and he constantly pushed his blocker back, which helped blow things up for the Titans. The Bills had a big need for depth at three-technique defensive tackle to help fill out their rotation. So, while we'll have to see if the player keeps up this level of play when he's not in the 'prove his old team wrong' frame of mind, Sean McDermott might have found the last piece they needed for that group in Jordan Phillips.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:25 AM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Who exactly are we supposed to pick up, the baby Dez Bryant, the often injured Jeremy Maclin who said no to us already, or Rishard Matthews who decided not to put forth enough effort after injury to get targets. Yeah, GOOD LUCK...

It will take one more season to fix what Russ and Whaley did to this team. This year might be a little tuff at times but I think we have a very good HC in McD and a great locker room.

Watching the game today I was trying to figure out who that was. The first thing that came to mind was somebody cloned Ted Washington.

He looked jacked and ready to play.

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It will take one more season to fix what Russ and Whaley did to this team. This year might be a little tuff at times but I think we have a very good HC in McD and a great locker room.

Watching the game today I was trying to figure out who that was. The first thing that came to mind was somebody cloned Ted Washington.

Big Ted was better against the run.

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Was good. Dolphins fans think he's horrible mind you.. he was a massive bust. Gotta stay motivated I guess.

Seems like he was not motivated enough and that he didn't like playing there. He was really happy to get released.

Hopefully a change of scenery is what he needed.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seems like he was not motivated enough and that he didn't like playing there. He was really happy to get released.

Hopefully a change of scenery is what he needed.

He is on the last year of his rookie deal (He was a 2nd round pick) and is coming off of just being released. I think he will be very motivated at least for the rest of this season. Now if the big knock on him in Miami was motivation and desire I would be averse to handing him a big contract for 2019 and beyond. But I don't doubt that motivation shouldn't be an issue for the rest of this season. 

If this dude continues to play like he did today this team will be very stout up the middle. 

19 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Was good. Dolphins fans think he's horrible mind you.. he was a massive bust. Gotta stay motivated I guess.

Colts fans thought Jerry Hughes was a huge bust. Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery, especially when there appears to be a bad relationship with a particular coach. And Dolphins fans don't think he's horrible, they felt he took too many plays off. But when motivated, very talented. Maybe this coaching staff, locker room, and fan base can keep him motivated.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, iinii said:

He looked jacked and ready to play.

Big Ted was better against the run.

I agree, Ted was the best NT that I have ever seen, he was like having 12 men on the field. Ted controlled the LOS and moved it where he wanted it to go. Watching Phillips on the field on Sunday jolted my memory back to the days of Big Ted. At 26 if this guy has matured and is 100% focused on football then we have ourselves a major steal and a valuable piece to building a dominant defense.

If all we’re losing in the offseason from this defense is Kyle, and this guy continues to bring it, resign him and we can basically take all of FA and The Draft to buy Josh Allen an Offense, while still having a potential Top 10 Defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They play different positions. Star is holding blocks, Phillips is rushing the passer. He's a 3 tech built like a 1 tech.

I made a special effort to watch Star because he seems to be an invisible player. There is a reason for his invisibility: he is swallowing up two defenders and holding up the middle of the line. He's Edmond's best friend by keeping blockers off of him and allowing him to run to the ball. 

Star's role is relatively simple: Occupy blockers and hold the line of scrimmage. It's not a role easily measured by stats. It's a tough role and a critical role. The bottom line is that he was a good pickup.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1