Bills claim DT Jordan Phillips

JoeF

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they will sign Clowney and restructure Watt's contract. The Texans are still a few years away from paying their QB (IF Watson can ever retain his rookie year form) so they can afford to pay a pair of dominant pass rushers. 

They may be able to do that. They did give Hopkins a big contract last year and really need to fix their OL. I’m not sure what their cap situation is.  I just consider it rare to give giant deals to 2 pass rushers but who knows 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Clowney is a pipe dream (I don't think he will hit free agency), honestly I don't expect this team to spend big on a pass rusher as I think if they are drafting top 2 they likely will spend that pick on a pass rusher. But I do expect that they will sign some significant offensive players. I think they can't ignore the WR position or the interior O-line. I especially think that the interior O-line will be a big priority since there will be a good market for guards and centers and it is one of the biggest needs on the team. 

There aren't any players that will need big contracts in 2019 (White, Dawkins, and Milano all will have 2 years remaining on their rookie deals no one else is really coming up on an extension) so there will not be a need to save money in the short term to save money in the long term. So there aren't many big contracts they need to preserve cap space for. 

Even then in 2020 more contracts and dead money can come off the books to preserve the need for future cap flexibility. I don't expect a huge spree but I do think there will be 3-4 pretty significant signings on offense maybe one on defense. There are simply too many holes around a young QB for the Bills to not spend something significant around the offense. 

keep in mind they have to spend much of the money. Can't bank it and collect interest like Mr Wilson would have preferred  : )

Because Benjamin has not worked out Bills will be looking for a named WR to bring on board. for the fans sake at least.

if it was me ? i would be so over focused on the O line to protect Allen at least till his contract is due : ) that i would have traded for 3 pro bowlers and over paid two FAs while drafting another 4 and one in the 1st or second rd.

yes i am that obsessed with fixing the O  line next for the long term physical and mental health of Josh Allen.

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

keep in mind they have to spend much of the money. Can't bank it and collect interest like Mr Wilson would have preferred  : )

Because Benjamin has not worked out Bills will be looking for a named WR to bring on board. for the fans sake at least.

if it was me ? i would be so over focused on the O line to protect Allen at least till his contract is due : ) that i would have traded for 3 pro bowlers and over paid two FAs while drafting another 4 and one in the 1st or second rd.

yes i am that obsessed with fixing the O  line next for the long term physical and mental health of Josh Allen.

They will need to overpay at the WR position. It’s a rite of passage for bad teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, iinii said:

Undoubtedly. But will he be happy in a similar role as a Bill? He may have wanted out of Miami but did all of his dreams just come true? And will he ever be more than a middling rotational D lineman? He is probably angry he wasn’t getting pt especially with his rookie deal running out.

He is definitely situational. His frame, length and stats say he is best against the pass. 

I would think he was made aware of what he is coming into.
Like any player. Show me. then the game day reps come with everything else.

Bills are giving him a shot. but heck they give anyone a shot to show up and make good. seems fair enough to me though. Phillips should consider himself blessed and get to work

imho

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I actually don't think the Bills need to go for Clowney. Murphy and Hughes can hold it down next year. Unless they get a good pick for Hughes I don't see DE as a big need. If we end up #1 overall I'd take Bosa but otherwise I'm trading down for picks and spending as many resources as possible on offense. Might even trade down from #1 if we get a good haul.

dude

its always a need. They get bigger and stronger and faster each year.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I guess it depends on what they want his role to be.  Agree that his size is better on passing down.  I think having him in there to give Star time off on those downs will benefit them both.  If he shows a knack for getting behind the line then he might get more playing time.  Star plugs holes, If he can make holes for the LB's then he will see his pt increase.

Star actually is just eating two players. he is not plugging holes as much as seemed obvious. he is not getting penetration. he just occupies two guys nearly every play he reps.

its a job and some one has to do it.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will need to overpay at the WR position. It’s a rite of passage for bad teams. 

thats why i suggested just one via FA. Fans are clamoring already !

the old mantra about Bills over paying anyone to to come here, Coaching included is winding down.
But to bring in an elite player who wants a ring before he dies or falls off the cliff ? Yep gonna have to pay.

Score one and keep drafting and watching the waiver wire i guess Mr Beane

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well that’s a good thing for the Bills. We don’t need him to start but if there is any injury to Star, we will. If I’m not mistaken he’s playing for his next contract since he’s an FA this year, correct? I think he will be motivated and for whatever reason felt Miami wasn’t a good situation for him. 

That is essentially what I was thinking. Is he going to get more pt with the Bills? Because if he isn’t he is just changing locations. 

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

You can roll over cap space in the league now but that does come with some limitations here and there. I do think that the Bills will try and roll over some cap space to save for the extensions of the 2017 draft class. But they have to spend money on some needs. There are 2 stud centers that will be free agents and a good crop of guards available. I hope that the Bills at least sign 2 high end interior O-line players. I also would love to see at least 2 veteran WR's. I think they need one higher end player like Tate and a second tier player too (I would like to see John Brown come in if his price isn't too crazy.)

Overall I think the Bills need to in free agency try and target 2 starters along the O-line, 2 WR's, and a pass rusher in free agency (I would also possibly add in a slot CB given the need could be affordable to fix.) Considering the Bills could range from 90-110 million in cap space I think that's not an unreasonable list to accommodate those needs and still be able to roll over a good chunk of cap space. 

17 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

You can roll over cap space in the league now but that does come with some limitations here and there. I do think that the Bills will try and roll over some cap space to save for the extensions of the 2017 draft class. But they have to spend money on some needs. There are 2 stud centers that will be free agents and a good crop of guards available. I hope that the Bills at least sign 2 high end interior O-line players. I also would love to see at least 2 veteran WR's. I think they need one higher end player like Tate and a second tier player too (I would like to see John Brown come in if his price isn't too crazy.)

Overall I think the Bills need to in free agency try and target 2 starters along the O-line, 2 WR's, and a pass rusher in free agency (I would also possibly add in a slot CB given the need could be affordable to fix.) Considering the Bills could range from 90-110 million in cap space I think that's not an unreasonable list to accommodate those needs and still be able to roll over a good chunk of cap space. 

I do realize they have to spend a minimum amount as compared spending to the cap. Not sure what the window is with how deals are structured etc. Those details elude me each year for some reason !
 but for sure they need to be smart with money moving forward. smarter even than they have ( imho) .

but if you dump that much talent get free up money ? ya better be a smarter spender than Whaley and Co. Otherwise it is all for naught imo.

If they could fill the roster with rockstars, i would be all for it !

But i don;t think thats the method we are observing.

: )

20 hours ago, iinii said:

That is essentially what I was thinking. Is he going to get more pt with the Bills? Because if he isn’t he is just changing locations. 

they had to sell it to him i might guess.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I actually don't think the Bills need to go for Clowney. Murphy and Hughes can hold it down next year. Unless they get a good pick for Hughes I don't see DE as a big need. If we end up #1 overall I'd take Bosa but otherwise I'm trading down for picks and spending as many resources as possible on offense. Might even trade down from #1 if we get a good haul.

Right I would put 100% of our resources on offense. I don't care if we give up 30/ game. This organization has to learn how to score points again. They have probably a limited window to establish confidence for Josh. We need 4 new wrs and 4 new olineman. And that doesn't even include an RB to replace Shady or offensive depth.  If Sean spends 50% of this upcoming draft/fa on defense I'm done.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I do realize they have to spend a minimum amount as compared spending to the cap. Not sure what the window is with how deals are structured etc. Those details elude me each year for some reason !
 but for sure they need to be smart with money moving forward. smarter even than they have ( imho) .

but if you dump that much talent get free up money ? ya better be a smarter spender than Whaley and Co. Otherwise it is all for naught imo.

If they could fill the roster with rockstars, i would be all for it !

But i don;t think thats the method we are observing.

Whaley and Co filled out the offensive side of the ball fantastically in free agency/trades. InCog was a gem, Shady was a steal, and even Clay was solid although overpaid. Plus for all the **** Tyrod gets he was a cheap and massive upgrade over the play at QB. 

It was just the defensive scheme change took at top 5 defense and turned it into a mediocre defense. If somehow the team could have kept Schwartz but still made the same offensive moves (Which to Rex's credit the Roman hire and the InCog signings were his ideas) then I honestly think the Bills would have made the playoffs and won 10 plus games in back to back seasons maybe even winning a playoff game or two. 

Now I think the 2019 off-season is one of the most critical the team has had in a very long time. They need to hit on 4 or more free agency signings and bring in another solid draft class. WR the biggest need but a fairly weak WR class. Odds are the draft will be where WR is addressed more. Interior O-line is a very strong class and probably where the team can really fill needs and spend money. Pass rusher might also be a spot worth taking a shot at. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:13 PM, HappyDays said:

I'm with you although some people think trading down is a heresy. If the Bills don't dramatically upgrade their OL our qb is going to be damaged goods. Our priority next year is to protect our biggest asset and assemble an OL that can block and give our running game a chance to move forward, instead of being knocked back before hitting the line. 

If the Bills can move down a little and get an additional second round pick we can still come away with a high end prospect and address another need. This team overall has a dearth of talent. An infusion of talent needs to be added through free agency and the draft just to be competitive. 

On 10/4/2018 at 8:13 PM, HappyDays said:

Hughes will be 31 next season and I am not sold on Murphy on anything other than a situational pass rusher (Still has 12 more games into the season maybe he shows more) unless Lawson shows that he can be a front line pass rusher I think the Bills should looking into adding a veteran pass rusher. 

Clowney is a dominant front line player and would worth a massive contract, I don't think that the Bills would pursue him if he even hit the market but a dominant pass rusher is the one few remaining big front line needs of the defense (I see Hughes as a 2nd pass rusher and Murphy as a situational player, jury still out on Shaq but he looks more like a situational player.) Odds are the big money in free agency will be spent along the O-line as there are a lot of good interior O-line players on the market. 

But I do feel like the Bills should pursue a pass rusher even if it is a player like Brandon Graham on a short term deal. I do think if the Bills do end up with a top 2 pick there might not be a trade down worth it and it looks like the top two picks might be pass rushers (Oliver and Bosa) it just might be a point where the Bills circumstances dictate that they take a pass rusher a top the draft and they don't address WR until round 2. 

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Whaley and Co filled out the offensive side of the ball fantastically in free agency/trades. InCog was a gem, Shady was a steal, and even Clay was solid although overpaid. Plus for all the **** Tyrod gets he was a cheap and massive upgrade over the play at QB. 

It was just the defensive scheme change took at top 5 defense and turned it into a mediocre defense. If somehow the team could have kept Schwartz but still made the same offensive moves (Which to Rex's credit the Roman hire and the InCog signings were his ideas) then I honestly think the Bills would have made the playoffs and won 10 plus games in back to back seasons maybe even winning a playoff game or two. 

Now I think the 2019 off-season is one of the most critical the team has had in a very long time. They need to hit on 4 or more free agency signings and bring in another solid draft class. WR the biggest need but a fairly weak WR class. Odds are the draft will be where WR is addressed more. Interior O-line is a very strong class and probably where the team can really fill needs and spend money. Pass rusher might also be a spot worth taking a shot at. 

Good post and nice interpretation  of how Team has rolled into where it is today. Hard not to be pissed at Ryan still.

next season will really define Beanes vision.

fingers crossed he gets it done bringing in enough talent to field an offense worth taking note. I want to see a solid lineup next season. They must know its a bad look right now with the product on the field.
But they had better shore up what they

Go Bills

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm with you although some people think trading down is a heresy. If the Bills don't dramatically upgrade their OL our qb is going to be damaged goods. Our priority next year is to protect our biggest asset and assemble an OL that can block and give our running game a chance to move forward, instead of being knocked back before hitting the line. 

If the Bills can move down a little and get an additional second round pick we can still come away with a high end prospect and address another need. This team overall has a dearth of talent. An infusion of talent needs to be added through free agency and the draft just to be competitive. 

perhaps i am an anomaly ? i love trading down and adding picks. even if you move back up a smidgeon .

Ps i see no good reason to trade anymore quality players to add draft picks though. I sure hope the bolded is as obvious to them as it is to Us !

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Texans got as much as the Bills do in cap $'s next year.

They could sign him if they want to.

Watt may be winding down as well

3 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

perhaps i am an anomaly ? i love trading down and adding picks. even if you move back up a smidgeon .

Ps i see no good reason to trade anymore quality players to add draft picks though. I sure hope the bolded is as obvious to them as it is to Us !

Considering where we are with the rebuild I would not be reluctant to trade McCoy to a playoff contending team for a third round pick. Then I would hope that with our added picks from a trade down and wise use of our cap space the Bills in one offseason can have major boost of talent added. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Good post and nice interpretation  of how Team has rolled into where it is today. Hard not to be pissed at Ryan still.

next season will really define Beanes vision.

fingers crossed he gets it done bringing in enough talent to field an offense worth taking note. I want to see a solid lineup next season. They must know its a bad look right now with the product on the field.
But they had better shore up what they

Go Bills

My hope is that the Bills if they do land a top 2 pick are able to get a trade down to acquire a haul of picks. I am not sure how coveted the QB prospects will be in this upcoming draft nor am I sure the Bills will land a top 2 pick. If the Bills end up picking in the middle to back end of the top 10 (Which is where I think they will end up picking between 5-8) I hope there is either a WR or OL prospect worth taking up that high. 

But free agency is where they have to re-infuse the team with talent to make a run with Allen while he is still on a rookie deal. They in my mind should be able to land a top guard and one of the top two centers on the market. Adding two starters on the interior OL would help the OL improve greatly, although I would prefer also fixing the RT spot too, I am not sure the team would spend on three big OL contracts but two is a must. 

WR should be addressed at least partially, the market for WR's isn't great but even getting two solid players there would greatly help Allen. Defensively the team should look at a slot corner as it is a cheap fix to one of the few needs the team has. The only primary need on defense would be pass rusher adding a vet on a short deal might work out to improve the only weak aspect of the defense. 

I suspect that if the Bills are drafting between 5-8 the three top picks should be on the offensive side of the ball. WR, OL. and WR/TE should be the first three picks position wise (Although you never know how prospects fall.)

On 10/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, billsfan89 said:

Do we not have even More cap space the following year

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nothing more than a 12 game audition to see if he can earn a re-signing as the 3rd DT in the rotation. 

I’m OK with that

On 10/5/2018 at 6:18 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They may be able to do that. They did give Hopkins a big contract last year and really need to fix their OL. I’m not sure what their cap situation is.  I just consider it rare to give giant deals to 2 pass rushers but who knows 

Didn't Miami do that with all the stars on the front seven ?