Worst injury you have ever had

Ice bowl 67

Broke my elbow falling of a porch around 9 or 10

Broke wrist in gym class around  11 or 12

Broke four bones in my foot around 13 or 14

Tore my rotator cuff at 15 during a wrestling match, ended up pinning the other guy.

Dislocated my shoulder 11 times before it was repaired. The surgery was 3 hours (no orthoscopic back then). Recovery from the surgery was hell for about two days.

Working with my late Dad on a car once upon a time and we made the mistake of turning the engine over with the fuel pump/line disconnected and the exhaust manifold off. What made matters worse my hands were soaked in gas from removing the fuel line resulting in my hands catching fire with very little time to get my Dad out of the car. Meanwhile we have a 20 ft high flame going straight up. Luckily my Pops had the where with all to calmly turn the ignition/car off.

Both hands ended up with 1st , 2nd, and 3rd degree burns. Burn is a different, intense kind of pain. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, no name said:

the one that left me disabled. work accident. 20 ft fall from a ladder 5 years ago.

came down still on the rung landing on concrete.

still in pain to this day, 24/7.

no opioids for me. just my indica and I can ease it some and sleep a couple hours a night.

had one back in august. first time I had them and no clue what was going on but knew it had something to do with my kidneys. fortunately it wasn't any bigger than 3mm and the pain was much worse going through the urethra then when I passed it.

my first one in 97 was mild  

the 2nd and 3rd were excruciating  2000 and 2001 

the last 2 worst than the first but way better than 2 and 3 ..     It's been 4 or 5 years stone free. 

Maybe everyone is too young to have had a joint replacement.  Tore knee cartilage while at work in 84.  After several scopes along the years, had a knee replacement in 2002.  Had to go to a pre-op class, where they told you all about what to expect in surgery & recovery.  My Doc told me to donate a unit of blood before surgery.  At the class the nurse told us that this would be a "bloodless surgery."  Had to ask, if it's bloodless, why am I donating a unit of blood before surgery?  She said that it's called "bloodless," because they put a very tight tourniquet near your groin, so there is very little blood during surgery.  BUT, when they remove the tourniquet "you're going to bleed like hell!"   Now, almost 17 years later, it's still holding together.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/2/2018 at 12:08 PM, mrags said:

Until you’ve had an Anal Fissure, don’t talk to me. 

I have had 2. Surgery and recovery was very painful.  

Broke knee, toe, nose and took steering wheel to chest in car accident.  I was actually awake on operating room table unknown to doctor and that freaked me out. No pain but felt instruments moving around. After surgery I was given medication which was supposed to put me out for hour but it only lasted an hour and I was up screaming in hour.  Told I was not supposed to be awake for 8 hours and I told them obviously I am and give me something else or I was going to walk out of hospital in gown to pharmacy.  They called a doctor and gave me something else which worked.  That was a long recovery. 

Second abdominal hernia recovery was not; first one was not bad but it did not work.

Had something wrong with my neck when I woke up and only way I could stop screaming was to put something in my mouth.  Kaiser Permanente in their infinite wisdom had local office closed and my wife needed to drive across the area to another facility.  Finding the place in dark was no easy chore with my wife's bad night vision but I was in no shape to help.

Ahhh, good times! 

I remember a comedian saying he knew he was getting old when a new word entered his vocabulary: Ointment! You may have goop in your teens, or even twenties. As you get older, you take it more seriously and it gets the respect it deserves. Ointment. 

Acl and mcl.  Non contact injury playing baseball.  Was playing 3rd, got a runner in a run down between 3rd and home.  Chased him down.  He fell to the ground to try to avoid the tag or something.   Guy broke from 1st to second.  Applied the tag in stride, pivoted to throw to 2nd.  Knee completely buckled under my weight/momentum.  

It sucked

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I was actually awake on operating room table unknown to doctor and that freaked me out. No pain but felt instruments moving around.

This happened to me.  During my aforementioned hemorrhoid surgery.  From what I've learned since, anesthesia is actually four different meds.  One to put you to sleep, one so you don't remember, one so you don't feel the pain, and one to paralyze you so you don't move while they are operating.

So, I wake up in the middle of surgery and I remember it - so two of the three aren't working.  Fortunately, the pain one was.  I've read since that people have woke up feeling the pain..............And, the paralyze one was working.  So, I couldn't let the docs know I was awake.........................I put all my efforts into moving and somehow did because I heard one say "He's awake" and then I was out again. 

It was like those nightmares when you are trying to run but you can't.  Horrible.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A friend came to completely during a colonoscopy, so she had to go through the whole prep and procedure again the next week.

That sucks, but it's not like feeling somebody slicing you up, even if I couldn't feel the pain.  It was crazy. 

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

That sucks, but it's not like feeling somebody slicing you up, even if I couldn't feel the pain.  It was crazy. 

For sure.

But my hangnail is worse to me than you getting burned to a crisp

12 hours ago, bbb said:

This happened to me.  During my aforementioned hemorrhoid surgery.  From what I've learned since, anesthesia is actually four different meds.  One to put you to sleep, one so you don't remember, one so you don't feel the pain, and one to paralyze you so you don't move while they are operating.

Since then for every surgery I have told doctors my reaction to anesthesia and they have made sure I was out completely throughout procedures which I have had a lot of.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Since then for every surgery I have told doctors my reaction to anesthesia and they have made sure I was out completely throughout procedures which I have had a lot of.

That's reassuring.  Thankfully, I haven't had surgery in the 26 years since, and I've been really worried about it. 

In my mid 30s, playing Left Field for softball, dove for a ball, it was bit damp & my shoulder caught the ground & I broke my collar bone & separated my shoulder.  Whe I separated it my shoulder pushed up & was pressing on a nerve.  If I had a knife I would of slit my throat the pain was unbearable.  The medics that came wanted to try to pop it back in at the field, I told them "don't f*cken touch me, get me to a hospital I want to be knocked out for this."  Went to the orthopedic a few days later, guy told me "Let me guess, mid 30's separated shoulder, softball injury right."   Said he has been doing this for 30 years, told me my separated shoulder was the second worst he has ever seen.  10 years later, it still hurts once in awhile, I still play softball, but have never dove for a ball again while playing outfield.  

Edited by Gordio

One friend was reffing an upper tier Jr hockey game and was slammed into the boards, hurting his shoulder, he’s a big guy

at emergency they tried to un-dislocate his shoulder with bed sheet triangulation and three people pulling on it, to no avail

then they x-rayed and found multiple fractures in his arm and collar bone

If there is any possibilty of a fracture i never let them touch me until xrays come back

————————

another ref took a puck in the mouth and lost teeth and couldn’t locate a dental surgeon, apparently the stuff that drips down hardens and is very painful, so have a large Windex-type bottle filled with water to intensely dilute the situation until the surgeon can see you....

Edited by row_33

All of mine pretty much administered by my brother. Worst was when body slammed me on my shoulder, would not let me tell parents my shoulder was killing me under threat of another beating...finally to the hospital about 7 hours later with a broken collarbone.

6 weeks later slammed me again on the same shoulder, breaking said collarbone again...think that time the ass whoppin he took from the old man may have actually hurt him more.

BTW, at the time he was prolly 140, me about 65-70lbs

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

All of mine pretty much administered by my brother. Worst was when body slammed me on my shoulder, would not let me tell parents my shoulder was killing me under threat of another beating...finally to the hospital about 7 hours later with a broken collarbone.

6 weeks later slammed me again on the same shoulder, breaking said collarbone again...think that time the ass whoppin he took from the old man may have actually hurt him more.

BTW, at the time he was prolly 140, me about 65-70lbs

that's taking sibling hassles to a new level, never got that way with me or with friends....

that one time a friend's older brother threw a golf ball in anger and it connected smack dab in the middle of his forehead, swelled up good and he was out cold for 5 minutes... but that was all in fun...

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lot more of those stories..by the time we got to high school we were best friends. 

good to hear!!

now that i think about it, most of my friends were only children in the 70s

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Did they knock you out for it?

Oh yeah, took me in the ambulance to Millard Filmore, knocked me out & popped it back in.  Took about an hour.  My whole arm, down to my elbow was black & blue.  

On 10/2/2018 at 11:23 AM, mrags said:

Gout is another one. Don’t even talk to me unless the weight of a cotton sheet on your big toe makes you want to cry in pain has ever happened to you. 

Yep. I've literally peed into a cup before because I couldn't walk the ten feet to my bathroom. First time I had it was when I was 16 and in the Boy Scouts. Ate nothing but freeze dried foods while hiking at Philmont (ranch in the rocky mountains). Felt fine by the time I was home. Had it a few more times, went to urgent care. Every time, the x-ray showed nothing, my dad suggested that since he had gout, and his dad had gout, maybe that's what it was. They said no, there's no way someone my age could contract gout.

Went to Artpark with my mom, feeling just fine. Sat down, had two chilli dogs, and one beer, and could barely stand up. Forced myself to walk down that giant hill. Went to a real hospital. First thing they suggested was gout. They said the people at the urgent care were ridiculous, and that can't be proven or disproven without a blood test. I get it everywhere. Ususally my ankle, but I've had it in my knee, toe, foot, elbow, hand and fingers. Until you've had it, you don't understand how bad it can get.

12 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Oh yeah, took me in the ambulance to Millard Filmore, knocked me out & popped it back in.  Took about an hour.  My whole arm, down to my elbow was black & blue.  

It's good to know they'll do that!  

1 hour ago, bbb said:

It's good to know they'll do that!  

The orthopedic actually told me never let the paramedics try to pop it back in on the spot.  Have the doctors at the hospital do it.  

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

The orthopedic actually told me never let the paramedics try to pop it back in on the spot.  Have the doctors at the hospital do it.  

I wonder if that pertains to kneecaps, too.  I've dislocated mine a number of times but it's popped back in right away.  But, my mother had had to pop hers back in herself.  And, I know others have, too. 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I wonder if that pertains to kneecaps, too.  I've dislocated mine a number of times but it's popped back in right away.  But, my mother had had to pop hers back in herself.  And, I know others have, too. 

saw a few fellow hoopsters pop their knees back into place, their kneecaps as well, one pulled it back up from his ankle

fingers and noses and shoulders no sweat to replace, just stand still and grimace and bam

• Like (+1) 1

In my early 20s I landed funny from jumping while goofing around with some friends and rolled my ankle. I snapped the ligament attaching my tibia and fibula and also broke my fibula. I ended up needing surgery to reattach the ligament, and they also had to realign the tibia and fibula with each other by screwing them together. When the injury happened it was the worst pain I had ever experienced, but that pain paled in comparison to what I felt when I came to after the surgery.

7 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yep. I've literally peed into a cup before because I couldn't walk the ten feet to my bathroom. First time I had it was when I was 16 and in the Boy Scouts. Ate nothing but freeze dried foods while hiking at Philmont (ranch in the rocky mountains). Felt fine by the time I was home. Had it a few more times, went to urgent care. Every time, the x-ray showed nothing, my dad suggested that since he had gout, and his dad had gout, maybe that's what it was. They said no, there's no way someone my age could contract gout.

Went to Artpark with my mom, feeling just fine. Sat down, had two chilli dogs, and one beer, and could barely stand up. Forced myself to walk down that giant hill. Went to a real hospital. First thing they suggested was gout. They said the people at the urgent care were ridiculous, and that can't be proven or disproven without a blood test. I get it everywhere. Ususally my ankle, but I've had it in my knee, toe, foot, elbow, hand and fingers. Until you've had it, you don't understand how bad it can get.

Exactly. Gout is incredibly painful. I was in a similar boat. Would happen and I always thought I broke my toe or something. Since I always heard there’s not really much you can do for a broken toe I never went to the doctor about it. Finally I realized what it was. 

The good old thing is I don’t get it from diet from what I can tell. I would get them from massive amounts of walking for 4-5 days in a row. 

9 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

On 10/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, Augie said:

No problem...........Believe me, I WISH the leg was the big deal!  

(Gout sucks big time as well.) 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Exactly. Gout is incredibly painful. I was in a similar boat. Would happen and I always thought I broke my toe or something. Since I always heard there’s not really much you can do for a broken toe I never went to the doctor about it. Finally I realized what it was. 

The good old thing is I don’t get it from diet from what I can tell. I would get them from massive amounts of walking for 4-5 days in a row. 

Have any of you had gout in the knee?  My first bout with gout was in May - very painful in my big toe.............Now, I drank quite a bit last night - and I have a bad knee anyway, but now a few hours ago, it got stiff and slightly swollen.  Some pain, but not even close to the toe thing (yet).   So, I don't know if it's gout or just my bad knee getting worse?

10 hours ago, bbb said:

Have any of you had gout in the knee?  My first bout with gout was in May - very painful in my big toe.............Now, I drank quite a bit last night - and I have a bad knee anyway, but now a few hours ago, it got stiff and slightly swollen.  Some pain, but not even close to the toe thing (yet).   So, I don't know if it's gout or just my bad knee getting worse?

Do yourself a favor and Google gout and skim (or low fat) milk. Studies show a glass of skim milk can reduce uric acid like 10% within 3 hours and over time reduce the chance of a recurrence by about 50%. I have skim milk and a banana every morning, and have not had a problem in the last 5+ years. (I just knocked on wood, fyi.) 

I’ve never had it other than in my feet, but I pray that’s not what you’re suffering from! Good luck! 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do yourself a favor and Google gout and skim (or low fat) milk. Studies show a glass of skim milk can reduce uric acid like 10% within 3 hours and over time reduce the chance of a recurrence by about 50%. I have skim milk and a banana every morning, and have not had a problem in the last 5+ years. (I just knocked on wood, fyi.) 

I’ve never had it other than in my feet, but I pray that’s not what you’re suffering from! Good luck! 

That is good information.

19 hours ago, bbb said:

Interesting you mentioned that.  My son dislocated his knee this summer up in Orchard Park in a baseball tournament.  Same thing popped right back in.  Excruciating pain.  2 days later his orthopedic doctor told me if it ever happens again & doesn't pop back in never try to pop it back in or let the paramedics pop it back in.  Wait to the experts for getting it back in.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bbb said:

I've had it in literally any joint you can name. Usually, if I feel it coming on, I take Aleve and feel fine. Liquor or wine doesn't usually have an effect on me. Just beer. Even non alcoholic beer. 

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

Never heard of this, gonna have to try it. I've tried every prescription they can give for gout, and the only thing that helps is Aleve (or off brand). Ibuprofen helps in a pinch. DO NOT take Tylenol. That makes it worse. It's literally better to take nothing, than to take Tylenol for gout. 

• Like (+1) 1