A few thoughts about the Packers game, in no particular order

Virgil

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I think today was about two bad teams with polar opposites at QB. If the QBs were switched I bet the score would have been 22-0 going the other direction. Keep in mind Rodgers was basically playing on one leg. Sometimes it really is that simple. 

playing on one leg?......he out ran guys on our D twice...   other than the grass in his knee brace it was of no hindrance at all to him.

4. I don't have a clue what this # is about.

Our OC is a problem. On the first series 3rd and 1, the most predictable play possible was called.

A run play right into the middle of the Packers D. Late in the 3rd Q, down 19-0 on two consecutive

series, run plays were called. With this O Line you could have guessed the result beforehand.

Call me whatever you want, but Beane and McD stripped the roster of so much talent for draft 

choices. Even with the best GMs that is a roll of the dice. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

Our OC is a problem. On the first series 3rd and 1, the most predictable play possible was called.

A run play right into the middle of the Packers D. Late in the 3rd Q, down 19-0 on two consecutive

series, run plays were called. With this O Line you could have guessed the result beforehand.

Call me whatever you want, but Beane and McD stripped the roster of so much talent for draft 

This will always be my argument unless they can prove me wrong.  You dont strip a team of almost all of it's best players because they were drafted before you got here. Was a huge mistake imo, look at our wr situation, qb, online.  

23 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

#4 is a quote from the movie "Scent of a Woman" starring Al Pacino.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You are in the minority of fans willing to state the obvious--that Josh Allen is in over his head.  

It is ridiculous, as some have done, to suggest his performance can't be evaluated because the team is bad around him.  The team is bad around him, but pass protection is not bad on every play, not all receivers are covered on every play, etc.

There's plenty to evaluate.  What is concerning is that the things he is struggling with now are things he has always struggled with and define his game.  His horrid pocket presence is one of those.  His inability to read a defense pre-snap is another.  His accuracy problem is a third.  

You, like most like most internet forum trolls, are not smart enough to evaluate NFL QB play. 

15 minutes ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

You, like most like most internet forum trolls, are not smart enough to evaluate NFL QB play. 

LOL.  

I'll let you get back to sniffing your autographed Josh Allen jock strap.  

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

LOL.  

I'll let you get back to sniffing your autographed Josh Allen jock strap.  

Interesting comment by an uneducated troll considering I didn't comment on the play of the QB and you have no idea what I think of the rookie. You can't evaluate an NFL QB or his mental make up. You can't tell if he's over his head. You are not smart enough. 

4 hours ago, billspro said:

I am just frustrated that I didn’t see any flashes of good QB play from Allen today.

This. And that our other 1st round pick still hasn't worked out which gap he is supposed to fill in the run game. Yes he runs to ball.... but sometimes if he just ran to his gap that tackle he maked 8 yards downfield would not be required. 

As for offensive talent not being the problem... it is the problem. We have 5 receivers. KB is washed up, Zay looks JAG, Holmes is really on the squad to play teams and Ray Ray and Foster were backups in college. 

Today was rough and sure Daboll wasn't great. But my word I sympathise with him. Giving him this group and asking him to engineer points is like giving you porridge oats and asking you to make a roast dinner. 

4 hours ago, billspro said:

If we get the number 1 pick we should take a QB, but we won’t which means there is a good chance we pass on a franchise guy.

The one thing I am not worried about isnus passing on a franchise QB at #1 in 2019. I haven't seen a first round prospect out there so far this college season. 

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

His inability to read a defense pre-snap is another.  

Or post snap. I don't see him getting through progressions while holding the ball too long.... I just see him staring down the field hoping someone gets open. I am not freaking out yet because I think at some point the game should slow down for him... but some of the college struggles are there for Josh in the NFL thus far. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bills11 said:

I honestly don't even understand what his philosophy is..like what are his plays that he relies on...where was the quick plays from the minny game last week there just seems like a lack of cohesion in his play calling u dont see from otehr coordinators

my thoughts

i think the problem is shady. when shady is available, they seem to feel obligated to make him the focal point of the offense. now we all know he is a stutter step/wait for the hole and when it's not there, the play is usually over.  i was hoping they'd use a 2 back set and keep josh in the shotgun.

it was stupid putting him under center when he was rattled.

( kinds stupid putting him under center ever.)

his instincts are to backpedal...1 sec....2..sec...big trouble, panic, turn, spin, sack.  eerily e.j.

i know i'll get flamed for this but, imo the most important objective is to win games, no matter how it happens. they should have at least given nate a series and given josh a chance to collect himself. i know qb by committee is taboo and creates a media brewha, but again do whatever it takes.

on defense the thing that pissed me off the most was not pressing the wrs at the line. when you're facing someone who gets the ball out quick, you have to bump those guys off their timing. it was so maddening to see the corners backpedal when the ball was snapped. ummm derrrrr. wtf?

they also went back to the traditional dline until late and had no answer to creating pressure from the line. no stunts...not near enough substitution etc.

lastly, two blitzes, 2 sacks.  i'm so sick of having a wanndstandt defense. if you're not getting anywhere with 4,  f...ing blitz!  not sending tremaine up the middle more is flat out stupid. there was also a nonstop gap inside of jerry while he was getting undressed on the outside. why wasn't milano shooting that gap? prevent defense to me means...ain't gotta plan....or a set of nuts.

it was apparent that mcdermott took his hands back off the defense.  for him supposedly being a defensive mind with a side of dbs,  not pressing those receivers was insane. this coaching staff got exactly what they deserved yesterday.

i'm afraid they're gonna ruin allen.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The OP contradicted himself on #7 with #8 because if you can't get 3 yards on two rushing attempts using a 7 man line on offense then there is clearly talent lacking. This team lacks quality talent in certain areas like most of the offensive line and WR corps. Both look to be some of the very worst in the league as most starters wouldn't even be backups on good teams. 

I do agree with you on Daboll as he stinks! Once the team gets behind in points the run game plan goes out the window and this OC calls plays like he has an experienced veteran QB back there…with time to throw to receivers who can get open and not drop balls. 

The run game and the TE are a rookie QBs best friend along with a short passing game to move the chains and let the QB gain some rhythm, confidence.  Each and every week the Bills should be pounding that rock all game long regardless of the score and they aren't. 

The best player on offense is Shady McCoy and he should be getting between 20-25 touches a game and this game he had 8 touches. Shady even stated that the game plan this week was to get him more touches and it didn't happen

I think you can have talent overall, but not the talent to run certain schemes.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. And that our other 1st round pick still hasn't worked out which gap he is supposed to fill in the run game. Yes he runs to ball.... but sometimes if he just ran to his gap that tackle he maked 8 yards downfield would not be required. 

As for offensive talent not being the problem... it is the problem. We have 5 receivers. KB is washed up, Zay looks JAG, Holmes is really on the squad to play teams and Ray Ray and Foster were backups in college. 

Today was rough and sure Daboll wasn't great. But my word I sympathise with him. Giving him this group and asking him to engineer points is like giving you porridge oats and asking you to make a roast dinner. 

The one thing I am not worried about isnus passing on a franchise QB at #1 in 2019. I haven't seen a first round prospect out there so far this college season. 

Or post snap. I don't see him getting through progressions while holding the ball too long.... I just see him staring down the field hoping someone gets open. I am not freaking out yet because I think at some point the game should slow down for him... but some of the college struggles are there for Josh in the NFL thus far. 

It's not unusual for teams to have units that are sub par. But that isn't the case with the Bills' receiver corps. This unit is non-functioning. This causes a ripple effect especially for a rookie qb who isn't proficient (understandably) isn't in making quick reads. When he looks downfield what he sees are his receivers blanketed. 

With a more experienced qb and a functional receiving corps this far from elite OL's passing protection performance would at least rise to the level of being adequate. In addition, our running game is being swallowed up by the defense not only outnumbering our OL but also at the minimum stalemating them. There are few lanes to run through. 

People are starting to freak out and search for someone to lay the blame on our offense's ineptitude. Daboll isn't the problem. It's not only a significant lack of talent on offense but it is exacerbated with a rookie taking the snaps. My worry isn't that Allen is playing poorly but that he will be brutalized.  In this type of overwhelming circumstances I'm not sure that the learning process is advanced.  

As I stated in prior posts most outside football analysts predicted that the Bills would be at or near the bottom of the rankings. When you make a decision to do a hardcore rebuild what you have witnessed shouldn't be surprising. When you let experienced talent go and replace it with younger talent you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out what is going to happen. It's tough to take but that is where we are at. When you ride the bronco and you get knocked off you get back on and try it again. Eventually you will tame the beast. That is not to say that you won't get bruised and battered in the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He was getting rid of the ball in under two seconds. That's not all day and not nearly enough time for rushers to get home. 

Can’t say I agree.

There were for sure multiple plays where A rod was throwing it way too quick for the d line to have a chance. I’m not blaming that on the D line.

But there were way too many plays where he would just sit back in that pocket with all day.

Do not believe me?

Just look at their first 3rd down of the day. Rodgers has like 3-4 seconds, sees no one he likes that’s open, then proceeds to escape the pocket easily and run for the first down

29 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Can’t say I agree.

There were for sure multiple plays where A rod was throwing it way too quick for the d line to have a chance. I’m not blaming that on the D line.

But there were way too many plays where he would just sit back in that pocket with all day.

Do not believe me?

Just look at their first 3rd down of the day. Rodgers has like 3-4 seconds, sees no one he likes that’s open, then proceeds to escape the pocket easily and run for the first down

We ran a wide front that play and Rodgers on escapes because Hughes was held like crazy. Right in front of the white hat no less

Edited by Virgil

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We ran a wide front that day and Rodgers on escapes because Hughes was held like crazy. Right in front of the white hat no less

Ok well the officials/Lack of no holds are a different story all together.

I was just saying they didn’t get much pass rush at all

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course they're still there; did we expect different?

(that's rhetorical; I know you know what you're watching Gunner)

I think some folks managed to fool themselves based on last week--it shouldn't shock anyone that the kid who was playing for Wyoming 9 months ago hasn't mastered the nuances of the most difficult position in professional sports quite yet.

He definitely had a bad day--no doubt about it. To me, it was the Iowa game all over again: he didn't play well, his supporting cast not only didn't help but somehow managed to make it worse, and yet he didn't look utterly overwhelmed.

I am far more interested is seeing how he handles himself coming out of a performance like this than judging what the de facto performance portends for his ability to play in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

I have never seen someone get held more than Hughes did on Sunday and that fumble call on Allen even after the replay was horrific. The defense still gave us a chance to win this game and I feel like they will be very good by mid season. We need to pick up a speedy WR off a teams PS and just cut KB, what a waste of a roster spot. If the WR's behind KB can't take his roster spot then they should be gone too at the end of the year. Allen wants to show off his deep ball but there is nobody on this team to pass it to. The O-Line is just a joke, everyone should be cut except Dawkins and a few of the younger players. Castillo needs to be fired at the end of the year, no excuse for a O-Line that looks this bad.

26 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Can’t say I agree.

Do not believe me?

If you don't agree go back and watch the replays they showed of him getting the ball out in 2 seconds. The announcers kept commenting on how fast the ball was getting out and many posters here wish we ran an offence that got the ball out as quick. 

It's also hard to rush the passer when you're held on almost every play with no call.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Offensive Talent - I'm getting sick of people saying how we don't have talent on our offense as a justification for why we suck.  These are NFL players getting paid millions of dollars who are the best of a NCAA program that fields thousands of players.  These are elite athletes and I refuse to believe that they just forget how to play or we are always going up against elite defenses.  Case and point, go look at the box score for the 49ers today.  Besides Pierre Garcon, tell me how many names you recognize on offense and look at what they did against the Chargers.  Talent may not be amazing here, but it's better than that.  We have much bigger problems. 

Tremendous point right here.

3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

If you don't agree go back and watch the replays they showed of him getting the ball out in 2 seconds. The announcers kept commenting on how fast the ball was getting out and many posters here wish we ran an offence that got the ball out as quick. 

I 100 percent know what you’re referring to. It was quite evident on 1 drive in particular as well where it was literally “hut” and then throw right away. I’m not disputing that at all.

But what did Rodgers have, about 45 drop backs roughly in total?

He was not getting rid of the ball in under 2 seconds on even half his throws. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well that is good news, I don’t usually follow the college prospects until after the season.

11 hours ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

Great read!  I would add what I noticed about Allen today ... he often stepped or scrambled to his right, INTO pressure.  So frustrating to watch.  He could have stepped up into the pocket sooner if he had presence.  Easy for me to say as an armchair QB but man, it's as if he went into pressure instead of away from it.

Yes, I agree on Ivory, let him play as he fits the scheme better.  Let Shady heal.  I'm not a big Shady fan and am curious when his contract is up.  I want Buffalo to have more of a Bruiser, downhill RB ... ala Blount or  Marshawn Lynch (oh wait, we traded him).

Turns out the Vikes were worse than we thought ....

Scheme? Scheme? Waht scheme? That was some of the most clueless football I've witnessed. KB should be benched if not cut. Yet, we have virtually no other options thanks to McBean. At least we saw a Zay Jones sighting once KB went out. He at least looked like he was running and not just simply lumbering down the field. I've come to really dislike KB as a viable option in the passing game.

And our offensive line is horrible. They showed almost zero ability to handle a blitz in an way shape or form. Even Dawkins has been disappointing. Better get those youngbloods up to snuff and get them a shot soon. Mills still sucks but our two guards and center play is revolting.

Just watched 

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I 100 percent know what you’re referring to. It was quite evident on 1 drive in particular as well where it was literally “hut” and then throw right away. I’m not disputing that at all.

But what did Rodgers have, about 45 drop backs roughly in total?

He was not getting rid of the ball in under 2 seconds on even half his throws. 

Ill continue to disagree with you.

Just watched 20 pass plays from rodgers. Every pass was out in 2 seconds or under. On his scrambles he was out of the pocket in 2 seconds. 

Trying to find the other 20. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just watched 

Just watched 20 pass plays from rodgers. Every pass was out in 2 seconds or under. On his scrambles he was out of the pocket in 2 seconds. 

All good. I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

10 minutes ago, billspro said:

Well that is good news, I don’t usually follow the college prospects until after the season.

Unless there is someone out there who isn't on my radar yet and I haven't seen him there isn't a single guy who I'd feel entirely comfortable taking in the first round let alone top 10. Herbert, Lock and the Auburn kid are probably my top 3 in some jumbled up order. Haven't begun to deep dive into any of them yet so that is just based on TV looks.

EDIT: Before someone flames me I am not proposing the Bills need a new Quarterback. Calm down. I will still be evaluating this class even though we will 99% still be riding with Josh next year.

Edited by GunnerBill

11 hours ago, VW82 said:

I think today was about two bad teams with polar opposites at QB. If the QBs were switched I bet the score would have been 22-0 going the other direction. Keep in mind Rodgers was basically playing on one leg. Sometimes it really is that simple. 

This game was a clear example of how great Rodgers is. He got rid of the ball as quick as possible and was able to hobble for a few first downs with this legs.

Our pass rush/defense is why we're 1-3 instead of 0-4 and he completely neutralized it by a quick release.

If only we could do the same...it would be nice to throw it quick but that would also require our WRs to have any steps ahead of the dbacks.

8 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

All good. I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

You’re right, he didn’t get it out in under 3 seconds the whole game but he did it enough to where we had to adjust our scheme and slow down the rush.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

Good summary. I think most people on this forum have mentioned the lack of quick reads/throws in the offensive repertoire

I agree about Ivory getting yards out of nothing. McCoy is hurting, they should have let Ivory pound it more. 

...if "most people on this forum" recognize the deficiency in Daboll's game plan, why doesn't McD?.....he is the overall guy in charge whether his background is defense or not......

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if "most people on this forum" recognize the deficiency in Daboll's game plan, why doesn't McD?.....he is the overall guy in charge whether his background is defense or not......

I feel like this is an area where he trusts the process a little too much.  

Also, he knows defense and knew how to jump in Frazier’s face when it wasn’t doing well.  

He may not know how to with the offense 

On 9/30/2018 at 9:28 PM, Virgil said:

Sorry for the lateness, but I've been sick all day which has caused me to be in and out of sleep.  I also wanted to sit on my thoughts for a bit and enjoy the other games.

1 - Overall Defense - I think most teams would take giving up 22 points at Green Bay.  In a week where some guys showed up and others didn't, the defense looks to have kept up with their recent improvements and still showing what we hoped for in the offseason.  We didn't get the pressure we did last week, but you could tell the Packers were prepared for us.  Rodgers got the ball out very quickly and kept us off balance.  There were some holding calls missed that would have forced more punts.  Rodgers made some comments about how poorly they played on offense, but I credit the overall play of the defense.  There were definitely some missed opportunities with two easy dropped INTs.  They gave us a chance to win and was proud that they didn't give up when they showed no signs of getting any support from the offense

2 - Defensive Tackling - If there were one thing to call out negatively about the defense, it was the amount of missed 1 on 1 tackles.  There were numerous stops in the backfield or short or first downs where the Packer found a way to break free and get extra yardage.  It was noticeable throughout the game and could have gotten the ball back for us sooner quite a few times.  Not that we would have done anything with it.

3 - Defensive Line - I'm seeing the threads pop up about Star being a bust again and pressure, but again, Rodgers was holding the ball for less than 2 seconds.  The line was solid and didn't start giving up chunk runs until they were gassed from being on the field all game.  Rodgers still took some shots and guys were hit in the backfield.  Again, the line was solid.

4 - Out of order. I'll show YOU "out of order"! You don't know what "out of order" is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, I'm too !@#$ing blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a flamethrower to this place!

5 - Allen - Well, I'm back off the Allen train this week. To be clear, this offensive failure was a team effort, but I can't say that I saw anything hopeful from Allen.  His Int's were all on him.  He carried the ball recklessly.  I have absolutely no idea where he was throwing the ball on the first few drives as they sailed out of bounds.  If that was him throwing the ball away, then he was bailing on plays very quickly.  Yes, he had limited time on more than a few occasions.  But with rookies, you look for throws or plays to build on going forward and I didn't see them today.  If he wasn't a top 10 pick and deemed our future savior by some, or even TT in a 17 jersey, the pitchforks would be out.  Again, this is a one game review, but I'm not seeing anything from today that puts him ahead of any of the other rookies so far.   He didn't break 100 yards passing until garbage time.

6 - Runningbacks - Am I crazy for thinking that Ivory should be starting and McCoy should be out there on 3rd or in multi-back formations?  Ivory hits the holes quicker and harder.  He picked up nice chunks of yards to the point where we should have kept at it with him.  I like Shady and it's nothing against him, but our offensive line and supporting cast seems to point to Ivory being the better fit right now.

7 - Offensive Talent - I'm getting sick of people saying how we don't have talent on our offense as a justification for why we suck.  These are NFL players getting paid millions of dollars who are the best of a NCAA program that fields thousands of players.  These are elite athletes and I refuse to believe that they just forget how to play or we are always going up against elite defenses.  Case and point, go look at the box score for the 49ers today.  Besides Pierre Garcon, tell me how many names you recognize on offense and look at what they did against the Chargers.  Talent may not be amazing here, but it's better than that.  We have much bigger problems.

8 - Daboll - Hello bigger problem.  First off, never run a heavy set again.  We can't execute it.  Second, either our complete lack of offensive cohesion is Allen's fault of Daboll's.  Since Allen is the rookie, it's Daboll's responsibility to create a simpler offense, quick reads, and releases.  Our offense was putrid today.  When you look back to last week and the entire season, I don' t even know why we have WR's on the roster.  We have no rhythm nor do we inspire any hope of scoring.  Daboll was my biggest head scratching decision this offseason and a quarter into the season, I'm still not seeing it.  We've score a total of 23 points in 14 quarters of play this season.  He has no history of producing a productive offense while other coaches are doing more with less.  

9 - McDermott - I almost didn't list McDermott because I had no problems with him this week.  It's hard to jump on him for the offense when I know it's not his background.  As the head coach though, he needs to figure it out.  The defense did as much as I would expect of them, but he sees what we all see on offense.  I'm not sure what he does at this point besides get more involved or bring someone else in to consult, but something needs to happen.  

10 - Losing, and then Losing - People are talking about being happy that we aren't 0-4.  I personally wouldn't care if we were 0-4 if we were seeing progress.  We've seen our defense perform to expectations since halftime against the Chargers and we've seen one half of decent offense.  Other than that, we are getting absolutely blown out.  We've only had a chance in 1 out of 4 games.  If we were competitive or losing while learning, that would be something, but I'm not seeing any of that.  The worst part is, we don't really know what the issue is.  I think it's 65% Daboll, 20% Allen, 15% Talent at this point.  But who knows.

On to the Titans next week for a game that I'm not very optimistic about anymore as they just beat two Super Bowl contenders.  I'd say I'm looking forward to another week in the Allen progression show, but who knows.  I'll be there in person with the family, so the thoughts might be late again. 

Go Bills!

I hate to say this but I think McDermott has some real stiffs on the coaching staff.  As HC he may have to take over a lot of other aspects of the overall game!

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry, Gunner, but that can be done.

Lentil Oat Meatloaf [Vegan]
For the Loaf:

• 1/2 cup green lentils
  • 1 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 3/4 cup gluten-free steel cut oats
  • 1 cup water, boiled
  • 1/4 cup natural ketchup
  • 1 cup gluten-free rolled or quick oats
  • 3 tablespoons tamari
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 2 tablespoons ground white chia or flax meal
  • 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (see note for gluten-free version)
  • 2 tablespoons tahini or sunflower seed butter
  • 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
  • Freshly ground black pepper. to taste

I grant you Daboll is not working with Kansas City's offensive roster, but he's underproducing with what he has.

13 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just watched 

IMO that was one of Green Bay's strategies against us.  They saw what we did to Cousins last week and they decided this week they were all about release speed - which they've been focusing on in any event since Rodgers hurt his knee.

Yeah, there were still a handful of longer developing plays, but the trademark "Green Bay WR gets open after the DB collapses while Rodgers runs around evading defenders for 5 seconds" was absent.

• Like (+1) 1