Why does Allen always try to spin to his blindside?

BigDingus

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

Because he has terrible pocket presence.  It was one of his biggest weaknesses in college.  He routinely runs when there is no pressure, and bails unnecessarily.  

Add in that he can't read defenses fast enough and it results in him trying to run when he shouldn't have to.  

Right now he's like a more athletic EJ

This. I can't explain the 'turning and running in the opposite direction' part other than maybe it's just a bad habit, but the running prematurely part of it is surely an internal clock fail safe mandated by the coaching staff. 

There was a big difference in this between Allen's preseason start where he held the ball too long and got sacked a million times vs. Bengles, and his second half appearance vs. Chargers where he seemed much more aware of how long he was spending going through progressions. I have to think the got on him to start using an internal clock.

This issue is I'm not sure it's helping him develop better pocket presence. It's more of a crutch, if anything. His feel for the rush and a collapsing pocket is terrible right now. So is his accuracy. 

Edited by VW82

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

I swear, they should have an entire course in pocket presence and awareness.  He has to really improve in that area.  He’s way faster than most NFL QBs and should not be getting sacked this much.  It’s called step up, and/or quick release. Or throw it away

That is easier said than done, or everybody would be a NFL QB.

6 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

3 games, guys! 3 games in! 

If Josh had had a bad day, made some mistakes, and we'd lost I think most of us could chalk it up as a learning experience, and part of the process. The issue is how bad he looked. There are no acceptable excuses which would explain today's performance outside of severe injury or concussion. This has to be the low point which he never hits again. That's how bad it was.  

2 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

He needs to learn to step up in the pocket end of story

still young and learning 

This is certinatly true but when you have untouched up the middle pressure on long set up passing plays what do you want him to step up into?  How many times today were rushers just freewheeling up the middle, mostly without being touched? Hell on one play there were two guys just in case the first one missed. 

The kryptonite of most QBs is pressure up the middle, until the blocking gets better or the play calls are quicker passes Allen is screwed. 

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

Because he has terrible pocket presence.  It was one of his biggest weaknesses in college.  He routinely runs when there is no pressure, and bails unnecessarily.  

Add in that he can't read defenses fast enough and it results in him trying to run when he shouldn't have to.  

Right now he's like a more athletic EJ

Luckily he will only get a better feel for the game by playing more. It is going to be a very up and down season for Allen. This is to be expected for a very raw rookie. 

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

And it's actually only going to get worse once he clocks more and more game time.

Opposing DCs will have more and more film to use as fuel for shutting him down.

In many ways Allen reminds me of Colin Kaepernick.  A big, really talented guy who can run well, but with limited ability to play QB.  It got to the point where the league got the blueprint on how to shut down Kaepernick and that's what they did.  Kaep didn't have the talent to overcome that.

Allen is at risk of going a similar path IMO...though I concede that has yet to happen and maybe it will not.

This is true, but you know what is really scary?

McDermott and company didn't recognize that fact themselves.  Instead, they chose to start Peterman, on the premise that he gave the team the best chance to succeed.

That's some hard core error in judgment right there.

Fadedbrain and Peterbreath,  now these are two of the best anulists on the board, where was this brilliant dissection of Allen last week? Just can’t get enough of these two geniuses...

2 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

Fadedbrain and Peterbreath,  now these are two of the best anulists on the board, where was this brilliant dissection of Allen last week? Just can’t get enough of these two geniuses...

I've been consistent in my criticism of Allen throughout.

PS:   DC Tom says you're an idiot.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

Maybe but then why did he get so much work with the ones all spring and summer?   This team mismanaged the qb position all offseason. 

Doesn't matter now.  No 5th round Bama journeyman is going to supplant a rookie top 10 QB pick in the NFL.  That's not how this league works.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

If Josh had had a bad day, made some mistakes, and we'd lost I think most of us could chalk it up as a learning experience, and part of the process. The issue is how bad he looked. There are no acceptable excuses which would explain today's performance outside of severe injury or concussion. This has to be the low point which he never hits again. That's how bad it was.  

i think your exaggerating a bit there.  ive seen horrible performances from other wise good qbs.    Allen today was 16/33 151 yrds..with 2 ints...one due to a dumb play and the other a not so bright player.  also we didnt even try to run the ball.   tannehill was 11/20 100 yrds  and 1 int.   Darnold was lucky enough today to not throw an int but he still only went 17/34 and 167 yrds.   how did cousins look last week?...how many yards did he have before buffalo just let them get what ever to run the clock out?...

on top of that it wasnt just Josh that looked bad..it was the entire offense.and the play calling.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

i think your exaggerating a bit there.  ive seen horrible performances from other wise good qbs.    Allen today was 16/33 151 yrds..with 2 ints...one due to a dumb play and the other a not so bright player.  also we didnt even try to run the ball.   tannehill was 11/20 100 yrds  and 1 int.   Darnold was lucky enough today to not throw an int but he still only went 17/34 and 167 yrds.   how did cousins look last week?...how many yards did he have before buffalo just let them get what ever to run the clock out?...

on top of that it wasnt just Josh that looked bad..it was the entire offense.and the play calling.   

Let's examine the 16/33 for 151 and 2 INTs. Josh went 7/9 for 74 yards on his last two drives which were both in the final five minutes of the game when it was already over. The very definition of garbage time stats. He also lost 64 yards in sacks on the day, and his two INTs were returned for a total of 27 yards. So taking out the garbage time plays and the sacks, and factoring in the negative INT yardage he was actually 9/24 for -14 net passing yards. 

You can try and put lipstick on that pig and tell me it was just as good as other crappy QBs today, but the truth is he was historically awful. Also, I watched the full game and the eye test matched the historically bad stats. He was way beyond bad, even by bad rookie standards.

Edited by VW82

41 minutes ago, VW82 said:

So taking out the garbage time plays and the sacks, and factoring in the negative INT yardage he was actually 9/24 for -14 net passing yards. 

You can try and put lipstick on that pig and tell me it was just as good as other crappy QBs today, but the truth is he was historically awful. 

Still better than Peterman..

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doesn't matter now.  No 5th round Bama journeyman is going to supplant a rookie top 10 QB pick in the NFL.  That's not how this league works.

What are you talking about?   I never suggested that, stop jumping to conclusions.  

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Instead, they chose to start Peterman, on the premise that he gave the team the best chance to succeed.

They may have said that but that was not the intension.   How man weeks of this before you have a gun shy QB?   It is not like that  has never happened in Buffalo before.

His pre-snap diagnosis, pocket presence (backing up, spinning, drifting, and internal clock), progressing through reads to trust what he sees, and the inability to manipulate coverage with his eyes are all significant problem areas at this juncture.  Add in the lack of a supporting cast and it only exacerbates these issues even further.