Who was the last TRUE #1 WR for the Bills?

BigDingus

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

I'd kill for a Lee Evans, TO or Eric Moulds to pair with Josh Allen

Hopefully, they will begin to provide him with receivers of that caliber next year - which, I think, was their plan all along: Get their franchise QB this year, add what they could defensively to keep them competitive, eat the dead cap money, and start to build their offense around Allen next year.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Hopefully, they will begin to provide him with receivers of that caliber next year - which, I think, was their plan all along: Get their franchise QB this year, add what they could defensively to keep them competitive, eat the dead cap money, and start to build their offense around Allen next year.

The Bills have spent as much draft capital on acquiring receivers as any other team in the NFL.    Its not just something they have been waiting to do.  For many regimes, including the current one, they have just not been good at this particular aspect. 

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The Bills have spent as much draft capital on acquiring receivers as any other team in the NFL.    Its not just something they have been waiting to do.  For many regimes, including the current one, they have just not been good at this particular aspect. 

I was speaking of this FO. They drafted Zay Jones (who I happen to think will be a solid #2 or #3 receiver with a true #1 on the team) in the 2nd and traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin.  That's not exactly attacking the WR position with draft capital.

The 2010 Steve Johnson year was probably the last time a WR was borderline taking over games for us. When we had a real Nfl passing offense with Orton, Watkins could have been that. The sad part is Tyrod at one time had Watkins, Woods, Hogan AND Goodwin all on the same team and we still couldn’t pass the ball. That should say a lot about Tyrod.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You know what's funny, I got to thinking when writing this post... 

If we had a prime Lee Evans right now, I believe Benjamin would standout like a "true" #1. What Lee was able to consistently do in spite of the guys throwing to him, and in spite of the opposing defenses knowing exactly what we were going to do with him, it's truly impressive. And with that kind of threat opposite of Benjamin, perhaps KB could find that space & get those targets. 

Because as of right now, he's not better than most teams' #1 cover corners, and he's not been good enough to fight off double coverage. And without the speed, he's simply there to catch jump balls, and he's not even doing that.... But with a burner like Evans who can run routes & has pretty good hands on the other side, KB's tenure here could look a lot different.

And if he develops his overall effort, hands and attitude?

4 hours ago, downunderbill said:

I think Sammy Watkins was the last that had #1 receiver talent but seemed to be injured a lot, Stevie consistently put up the numbers but when I think Stevie I think playoff chance ending drop in the end zone but I think for me Lee Evans maybe but Eric Moulds definately.

Playoff chance ending drop in end zone? We were 2-10 at the time of that Pittsburgh game hardly in the playoff hunt. It was a meaningless game 

4 hours ago, downunderbill said:

I think Sammy Watkins was the last that had #1 receiver talent but seemed to be injured a lot, Stevie consistently put up the numbers but when I think Stevie I think playoff chance ending drop in the end zone but I think for me Lee Evans maybe but Eric Moulds definately.

Yeah, Stevie was more like an Edelman. Even though he had a lot of receptions, he wasn't a #1 that defenses had to game plan for.  For me, a #1 WR is not just a pass catcher, but a weapon that a defense has to game plan to take out of the game, yet he still puts up numbers.  Julio, AJ, Antonio, all do this. Sammy was supposed to be that guy, but never got close.  I think because of weather factors, our true stars were always RB's. But the league morphed and the Bills kept trying to rely on a run game with a strong defense.  

Current rules don't allow this type of team to be successful. The NFL wants an air attack and the Bills haven't wanted to give them one. Hopefully, the drafting of Allen moves us a little closer. But this sad sack crop of WR's here now stand in the way.

Moulds.  Sad to say it, 16-18 years void of a true #1 is sad.  Other guys had borderline talent of a #1 but didn't do what Moulds could for other players in the offense.  I remember him as being T.O. light for a couple of years.  To me, a true #1 is elite in a couple of different traits/characteristics of the position.  I see a bunch of guys good at one aspect of being a WR, but somewhat one dimensional.  Sad that they gave up two 1st round picks on Sammy.  So stupid to copy the Falcons and not have a Ryan to get him the ball. 

Sammy was good, but 2/3s of a season doesn't warrant status as a true #1. Not a one hit wonder.  A true #1 will produce even though the D knows the ball is coming his way and have game planned for him.  

Edited by YodaMan79

1 hour ago, DBilz2500 said:

Playoff chance ending drop in end zone? We were 2-10 at the time of that Pittsburgh game hardly in the playoff hunt. It was a meaningless game 

I didn't fact check, I went off memory which clearly is on the slide. For some reason I remembered it as an important game.