Daboll play calling

Ray Finkel

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Then don't call long developing routes that call for the QB to work through progressions that have him holding the ball. 

Some of those I am convinced are designed to be shorter plays. Josh struggles to see them, then holds the ball, then ends up looking deep. He just isn't processing quickly enough yet. I think there are things they can do to simplify his reads.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Some of those I am convinced are designed to be shorter plays. Josh struggles to see them, then holds the ball, then ends up looking deep. He just isn't processing quickly enough yet. I think there are things they can do to simplify his reads.

I think you are correct, but in some cases the receivers are not uncovering. 

He was flat bad. But when you watched replays there were very very few options open when he still had a chance. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think you are correct, but in some cases the receivers are not uncovering. 

Also true 26. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He was flat bad. But when you watched replays there were very very few options open when he still had a chance. 

Yea there are a myriad of factors at play. Totally agree. I am loathe to put much on the playcaller when he has very little talent to call plays for. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Also true 26. 

Yea there are a myriad of factors at play. Totally agree. I am loathe to put much on the playcaller when he has very little talent to call plays for. 

Those two quarterback runs down three scores was criminal too. Sure, in a close game I love that kind of call. But not in situation today. 

Get the ball in McClouds hands when you have no time or receivers. Don't throw WR screens to Andre Freaking Holmes, unless you think the surprise factor of no one in the history of football would do that might catch them napping. 

39 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I thought today was a really dumb game plan from the offense. The Packers have a great pass rush, we knew that going in but the Daboll seems to have thought that somehow the O Line could deal with it. There should have been way more screens, quick slants, hitches or shovel passes to avoid this. Instead they played into the Packers hands by pushing Allen into throwing deep balls with little time to set up.   Allen took a huge beating because of this, with sacks, hurries and knock downs after the throws.  The Bills receivers just cannot get any separation from Dbs and they have difficulty with the zip Allen puts on the ball (judging by more drops today). Cannot stand that we constantly seem unprepared for teams whose strengths we know. Just plain dumb.

100% agree with this...great post! ?

35 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I think Daboll needs to call all short stuff to start the game, quick hitting stuff. Nothing over 10 yards.

That and runs. Get things moving a little bit.

Packers were all over that stuff. They need to find a way to back the defense off a little bit.

I don't think asking a rookie QB to adjust protections and make quick, correct reads is all that likely to succeed. A more conservative game plan with more running and more people staying in to block would be better at this point in Allen's development, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

When your line can't block and you QB can't process fast and get the ball out then it doesn't leave many plays in the playbook worth calling. 

I do wonder if we have a wide receiver bubble screen though. I see other teams run that play effectively every week. 

Except that other teams with young QB seem to devise game plans that help them out.  Maybe they have different plays in their playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, goldenboy81 said:

I think daboll thought it was 40-0 again the way he abandoned the run game,might of helped setup some kind of passing game. Just alot of pressure for a rookie qb with no weapons but shady.

Agree, but I think it's the system. And unlike Dennison, Daboll doesn't seem interested in "going back to what worked," the way Dennison did last season by resurrecting elements of the Roman/Lynn offense.

On the positive side, they're getting lots of reps in the system he likes. On the negative side, it's not working.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that other teams with young QB seem to devise game plans that help them out.  Maybe they have different plays in their playbook.

Their Quarterbacks were all more ready to play coming out. I am not doubling down on my draft projection I am just saying.... I don't expect him to process information fast like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen... because I didn't think he did in college either. 

Worth saying the most impressive of the 4 - Baker - is the one with the best offensive line of the 4.

Edited by GunnerBill

Their Quarterbacks were all more ready to play coming out. I am not doubling down on my draft projection I am just saying.... I don't expect him to process information fast like Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen... because I didn't think he did in college either. 

So surround him with David Curry, Daboll, Nate Peterman and Sean McDermott and let him soak in all that QB knowledge. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

So surround him with David Curry, Daboll, Nate Peterman and Sean McDermott and let him soak in all that QB knowledge. 

Well indeed. But obsessing about playcalling is a red herring. There are coaching fails and talent fails.... but I don't think it is playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 1

Dabolls play calling has been abysmal to say the least . Other than the Vikings game he's not helping Allen with his playcalling..why so many passes called given our personnel ..giving McCoy only 5 touches is unnaceptable. The Packers were sending a variety of blitzes all game and Allen isnt there yet when it comes to blitz recognition and knowing his hots so he has to call plays to reduce the pressure well timed screens for example 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Screens and swing passes to Shady was needed today. Help get Josh in a rhythm/flow.

In New England when they're getting blitzed they throw screens and wr screens it's the staple I would think daboll would have incorporated those things 

What did the best QB in the game today do all game long? The answer: quick release plays/throws, such as wide receiver screens, regular screens, quick slants, and running the ball to balance the attack.

What did the team on the other side do to the rookie QB behind an awful online?  The answer: drop back five steps or more every pass play--and then duck and run because you're online can even slow them down. Add in about 10 run plays and no quality WRs, and what do you have? Nothing! = 0

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bills11 said:

Dabolls play calling has been abysmal to say the least . Other than the Vikings game he's not helping Allen with his playcalling..why so many passes called given our personnel ..giving McCoy only 5 touches is unnaceptable. The Packers were sending a variety of blitzes all game and Allen isnt there yet when it comes to blitz recognition and knowing his hots so he has to call plays to reduce the pressure well timed screens for example 

I never liked the Daboll hiring (4 prior seasons of NFL experience with 3 different teams) and still don't. Even if they're stacking up against the run and daring us to throw, we still have to try to run on first and/or second down when our QB is very clearly having a rough day (Allen's early passes all sailed high - he just wasn't "on" early in the game).

The other thing that infuriates me is the number of read options and QB draws that Daboll calls. This isn't the University of Alabama. In the NFL that sort of stuff gets your QB killed.

One other play call bothered the crap out of me... we had a 4th and 1 in the first half and Daboll ran a play that called for uber-slow Vlad Ducasse to pull around to the right side. Ducasse can barely move and that play ended up a completely disaster.

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 months later...

Huge praise for Daboll on how the play calling changed/evolved 

5. How a rising Josh Allen lifts all boats

About a month ago, I wrote about how 

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen is changing some skeptical minds. That narrative has seemed to catch on since then, as Allen has continued to show off his athleticism, arm strength and playmaking ability over the past six weeks, culminating in a scintillating performance against Miami on Sunday that netted him the AFC’s Offensive Player of the Week award.

Allen lit the Dolphins up in the Bills’ 42-17 win, completing 17 of 26 passes for 224 yards, three touchdowns and an interception while also rushing nine times for 95 yards and two scores. At times, the 6-foot-5, 237-pounder looked like the best player on the field, one who stands to get only better (given his rawness as a passer). So for all the criticism the Bills took for selecting Allen seventh overall in the 2018 NFL draft despite his inconsistent college tape, it appears Buffalo made the right move.

One overlooked aspect of this is how the Bills have managed to maximize his strengths — a rare combination of size, athleticism and arm strength — all while generally minimizing his weaknesses (reading the field and throwing with accuracy). And that’s where offensive coordinator Brian Daboll comes in.

The Bills finished 2018 ranked 31st in passing offense and 30th in passing offense, but those numbers don’t really reflect the growth Buffalo showed under Allen late in the season. In his final six starts, the Bills — who finished 6-10 — went 3-3 as Allen completed 52 percent of his passes for 1,242 yards, eight touchdowns and seven interception, all while adding 476 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. 

What’s more, the Bills’ offense — which could use some reinforcements at various positions this offseason, by the way — averaged 348 total yards per game, which would have ranked 20th over the course of an entire season, all while surrendering only seven sacks during that timeframe. Not too bad considering where they started the season — losing to Baltimore 47-3 with the likes of Nathan Peterman under center — and much of that can be attributed to the boot-heavy, play-action-rampant scheme Daboll has relied upon since Allen returned from an elbow injury in late November, all with the goal of freezing defenders to create windows for Allen to throw to.

Check out these four plays below from the Bills’ win over Miami, for example:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dak-prescott-needed-extra-work-week-17-plus-wild-card-observations-020807449.html

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1