Micah Hyde's San Diego wife loves Buffalo

WhoTom

16 hours ago, yall said:

Miami Beach nightclubs notwithstanding, what is it that doesn't exist in Buffalo that fuels people's perception that there is nothing to do?

We could use a Korean restaurant in the South towns, but other than that I've never had a problem with finding something to do in my 17 years here.

Good weather.  It can absolutely have an effect on every day activities depending on what you like to do.  

Being a huge sports fan, living on the east coast in general sucks.  Games ending too late is a big deal and an unfortunate way of life.  Sorry guy, west coast > east coast as far as weather and watching sports.  Ain’t no doubt.

I’m happy that I was raised there.  I love to go home to visit, yet I’d never live there again again unless I was offered an obscene amount of money and didn’t have to work again.

WNY native and I've lived in San Diego for over 30 years. There is no comparison between the 2..they are apples and oranges Literally.

WNY: Green, uncrowded driving most of the time (rush minute not hour)  humid in summer, Legendary Tailgates..Pegulas.

San Diego: dry desert. too many people...6 lane in each direction traffic gridlock, LA Chargers?? pfft.  Joke franchise they are dead to most true san diego fans #****deanspanos

I'm greedy they're both awesome cities in their own way But Team Ownership" Pegulas over Spanos' All Day.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, COTC said:

Some things you just take for granted,

like living in San Diego California where the summer never ends, the women are beautiful and property values skyrocket faster than the stock market. 

Its paradise.  The grass IS greener 

I was there in the 80’s.  It was not paradise then and it’s still is not. 

Great weather? Yes

Beautiful women? Yes

Great Beaches? Yes. 

skyrocketing property values only help you if you already have a house.  It’s very hard to get anything decent for a young guy starting out on your own.  

Jobs are there but pay is low relative to the cost of living.   The public schools are crap.  California politics are crap.  Taxes are high. Illegal immigrants are a problem and a topic of debate and division.  

Crime is not too bad for California, but high enough to be in the top percentile of the State.  

I did the California dream back in the day.  After about five years I found out I actually like seasonal change and it’s healthy for me to have it.   Once the kids came the stability of a traditional lifestyle with family and the values I can relate to outweighed the benefits of Southern California.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

WNY's best asset is its people and sense of community - you're not going to find that in many places.

My parents ended up in Buffalo because my father got his PhD at UB and then found work locally, as did my mother. It was never their plan to stay in Buffalo, but guess what - it was a fantastic place to live especially if you want to raise a family and live affordably and they never left. The people and the community sealed the deal - they were all-in on Buffalo. Jim Kelly's story reminds me of my parents' story - someone who didn't really want to be in WNY ends up there and ends up loving it and being all-in on the place.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2018 at 4:16 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL......when the Sabres wanted to re-sign Drury, his wife threatened him......Ralph Wilson in desperation mode offered Cowher $10 mil a year and his late wife said no way would she live in Buffalo......

This is the first I ever heard this Drury story. 

It's just more difficult to do things in Buffalo because it's cold most of the year. It's just tougher day to day living for a host of reasons. San Diego sucks for other reasons, but everyday is nice and open to do stuff in Diego. 

Edited by leonbus23

3 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

It's just more difficult to do things in Buffalo because it's cold most of the year. It's just tougher day to day living for a host of reasons. San Diego sucks for other reasons, but everyday is nice and open to do stuff in Diego. 

Cold most of the year, lol

23 hours ago, Watkins90 said:

He is by far my favorite player now. I just got his jersey for tomorrow's game and next week's game. I was so ecstatic when we signed him. Green Bay never understood the value he offered during his time there. Plus, now that I live in northeast Iowa (you wanna talk about a place with nothing to do and we still manage to have fun all the time) it's even cooler he was a Hawkeye. 

I was advocating getting him when he became a FA. Green Bay has been my favorite NFC team for a long time.

On 9/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, H2o said:

People say there's not much to do around here in VA, but you can find pretty much any scene you want in Richmond, VA. There's also a beach about an hour and a half away with VA Beach being a decent spot. It's not South Beach around here, it's not LA, it's not NO, or NYC, but nowhere is except those places. It just depends what you want in life with anywhere you are. If you want to rub elbows with the rich and famous then Buffalo isn't for you most likely, just like Richmond isn't for you. There are still people and plenty to get into though I'm sure. 

I'm living in VA Beach now.  The locals say there is nothing to do.  I moved here from Utica, I am much happier here as far as things to do.  I wouldnt have wanted to grow up here though.  WNY and CNY are way better places for families.  

Edited by Beach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beach said:

I'm living in VA Beach now.  The locals say there is nothing to do.  I moved here from Utica, I am much happier here as far as things to do.  I wouldnt have wanted to grow up here though.  WNY and CNY are way better places for families.  

Yeah, certain areas are rough. It's like that in Richmond too. It's getting to be like that almost anywhere now though. 

On 9/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, Captain Murica said:

As someone who isn’t from Buffalo. I have to say I love visiting up there. I have a second property a little past windham in a small town, and there is truly nothing to do there. That’s where me, and my family hunt. The closest shopping mall is in Albany. I currently live on Long Island 20 minutes from the Hamptons and it’s nothing special.

yaphank?