Bodine New Starter at Center for Week Three at MIN

26CornerBlitz

22 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Brandon Thorn, one of the OL guys that I follow, absolutely loves Marpet. You can review some of his tweets about him (some with videos) here.

Not sure how he'll hold up this year at LG but he's already got some really good tape at C & RG.

He's a natural G. Bucs signing Jensen has really improved their OL because it allowed them to improve two positions on their OL by moving Marpet back to G.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

From Chris Brown's Quick Hits Presser Summary:

Battles being waged on offensive line
After leaving the door open on Monday for some potential changes on Buffalo’s offensive line, McDermott would not confirm that any had or would take place. He did however, leave that option open to him and his offensive staff.

“We’ve got some guys in there that are battling and competing with that first group and that second group,” said McDermott. “So, we’re going to continue to look at that.”

The Bills currently rank 31st in total offense, 25th in rushing, 31st in passing and 31st in first downs.

Hey, we've improved one position in passing from last year!!

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Isnt this evaluation meant for the pre-season ? Or are these designated starters offseason stars like Peterman ?

If I recall correctly, Groy and Bodine were considered pretty even throughout preseason. Neither outplayed the other. At that point, I would have thought Bodine would get the nod due to 4 years of experience at C, so I am not really sure how Groy got the job. Perhaps familiarity with teammates? 

32 minutes ago, GG said:

Would make sense.  Miller has been awful

He was awful week one, but outplayed Groy, and was actually above average week 2.

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Miller sucks, Groy sucks less, Bodine, sucks less than Groy.  DuCasse is actually serviceable, I can't believe I just typed that.  We really need 4 new olineman next year

So far this season Groy as sucked the most of our OL and comfortably so. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They evidently haven't figured out which of their Centers is worse. :sick:

That's about it.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

(Miller) He sucked week 1 was alright week 2.

Too simplistic.  I've been trying to tease apart the horrid run blocking with some help from other members on a couple of plays.

That's our biggest problem right now on OL IMO

Daboll (or whoever is designing the run game, but the buck stops with Daboll),  is trying to be too frickin' cute.

Take a look on all-22 at the run play, 1st and ten at the LAC21 with 0:34 left in the 1st Q.  It is intended to be a fake end-around HB slam.

(With me so far? Took a couple views to decide how to describe the intended play)

The blocking scheme starts with Groy and the R side of the line shifting R and Holmes shifting to seal off the end as though it's gonna be a run to RT.

Meanwhile, Jones comes across for the fake end-around.  Groy chips then Ducasse and Dawkins are supposed to cut block the DT and DE.  Croom at TE is (we think) supposed to pull and take out the OLB.  Defense is supposed to think "whups, NO, not run to RT, end-around!"

After all that, Shady takes the handoff and heads up the gut behind Groy - where he finds Ducasse prone body, Dawkins prone body, and the un-cut DT, DE and OLB on their feet ready to meet-n-greet him.

That's Shady behind Miller, who is blocking the RDE.  Groy is heading out to block, but Ducasse and Dawkins are on the turf after unsuccessful cuts and the DT Mebane is on his feet waiting for Shady.  Croom is also on the turf, hidden by DE Ingram who is about to hurdle him and close on Shady.

image.thumb.png.6a6f96c726e4e27610d8a5fb43636526.png

Here's Mebane saying "come to Papa, Shady" while Ingram and the OLB seal off the space not blockaded by Ducasse getting up

image.thumb.png.f4669ccb4c109abedc33bc1889d52d6f.png

It's not even that Groy or Miller or anyone else is bad on the play.  It's that they can't finesse the complicated timing and nail the cut blocks reliably IMO

Why not try a simpler play, with say, Croom pulling to lead Shady up the gut after Groy?  It really couldn't look any worse, and I can't believe all this pointless throwing themselves to the turf is helping our OL's physique.

DABOLL:  ALL THIS FAKERY IS NOT WORKING.  OUR OL CAN'T EXECUTE IT RELIABLY.  NO ONE IS BEING FOOLED BUT YOU. 

• Like (+1) 1