Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Yeah, I'd like to see confirmation that you said VONTAE DAVIS WAS GOING TO RETIRE AT HALFTIME OF THE CHARGERS GAME.

heard vontae might be on his way off the team; lack of ability, lack of desire, lack of fire.

he is too far gone is the read i got.

bills looking around for other options to get a cb for depth/options

That's what I told him. And later used the words anquan boldin of 2018....  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

heard vontae might be on his way off the team; lack of ability, lack of desire, lack of fire.

he is too far gone is the read i got.

bills looking around for other options to get a cb for depth/options

That's what I told him. And later used the words anquan boldin of 2018....  

Not the same as "he's going to just mid drop and retire AT HALFTIME OF THE CHARGERS GAME"

28 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Retired?  In the middle of a game?  :lol:

I've gotta say...I came into the season with the expectation that this team would be laughable.  Literally, so bad they'd be comedic.  So I'm not exactly disappointed.   But this?  This is more hilarious than I ever could have anticipated.

I think he's under the couch, just a simple misunderstanding.

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Wouldnt he go on a retired/active plater and not count against the cap?

He will get paid but shouldnt count against the cap

I finally found how it works: retiring mid-season works the same as being cut mid-season, for cap purposes.  The difference is that, if a player retires the team can go to arbitration to request the remaining cap hit be "refunded" - pro-rated salary and signing bonus, roster and workout bonus remain with the player, I believe.  

So Davis would still have a $4M cap hit being retired...but the Bills could claim relief for 7/8 or 29/32 (not sure if you can request a half-game refund) of his signing bonus plus guaranteed salary - call it three and a quarter million.  Can't see the Bills losing that arbitration against a guy that walks out mid-game...so ultimately, his cap hit becomes just shy of a million.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Not the same as "he's going to just mid drop and retire AT HALFTIME OF THE CHARGERS GAME"

But I did say retire within a few weeks.

I got nothing to prove to you.  What's your point anyway?  Just trying to be a jerk or nothing else better to do?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's not right.  His signing bonus, roster bonus, and workout bonus are paid out.  His salary is guaranteed...but I can't find out if that guarantee holds if a player retires 1.5 games in to the season.  And even if it does, that doesn't add up to all $5M.  More like $4M and change.

1 million was in incentives.  That's why the Dead Cap is 4 million.

I looked around for a precedent in "retiring" mid season but can't find one.

I'm pretty sure the Bills on stuck with 4 million in Dead Cap.  There may be a way through arbitration to get more back

but I don't think so.  That "arbitration" thing is usually used to get back future signing bonus money owed.

If Bills take the 4 million hit they are the ALL-TIME DEAD MONEY CHAMPIONS.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I finally found how it works: retiring mid-season works the same as being cut mid-season, for cap purposes.  The difference is that, if a player retires the team can go to arbitration to request the remaining cap hit be "refunded" - pro-rated salary and signing bonus, roster and workout bonus remain with the player, I believe.  

So Davis would still have a $4M cap hit being retired...but the Bills could claim relief for 7/8 or 29/32 (not sure if you can request a half-game refund) of his signing bonus plus guaranteed salary - call it three and a quarter million.  Can't see the Bills losing that arbitration against a guy that walks out mid-game...so ultimately, his cap hit becomes just shy of a million.

I thought that relief comes next season. Because arbitration will take awhile anyway

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He certainly is. I like how absolutely nobody (including Richie) even bothers to mention the stated reason for his sudden retirement: serious kidney and liver deterioration. It's almost as if that was a lie or something.

I mentioned that several times last week, actually.  Because lying about medical issues to get out of contracts is A-OK.