Inspiration for Allen: Jim Kelly’s First Game

Jukester

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The team was still very much a work in progress, however, and we went on to win a mere 4 games.

Somehow, amazingly, defying the odds, Jim Kelly was not "ruined."

:rolleyes:

He wasn't a rookie. He'd played with professionals - NFL level - in the USFL for two years. 

I don't think playing a QB with a bad team is going to ruin a QB either - there are plenty of examples of good to great QBs that did well. But you really can't use Jimbo's "rookie" experience in the NFL as an example.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Totally agree with the attitude here. Gotta be patient. Exciting to get Josh on the field this early. If he’s not ready Nate’s personality is one that can step in and get after it if needed. How jacked would we all be if Josh shows us Sunday that we have a QB for the future. #Daretodream

Wait....what?!

You're thinking Allen might be less ready than Peterman? 

And that it's all cool, because Peterman is a big enough man to swallow his pride, and temporarily take the reins until Josh gets his game together.

WTF?!!!!!

Are you posting from an insane asylum?

This is it! The all time most absurd post in the history of this board.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I think we might be in the 84 era of this team except that Josh is on the team instead of the USFL and we have the right coach , unlike Kay and Bullough.

So Nick Bosa will be our Bruce Smith?

Bruce - '85, Jimbo -'86

Of course, Jim had two years of experience in very close to NFL caliber games which JA will also have in two years...

Hmm. I can definitely see the comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Jimbo had 2 years experience in the USFL prior to his first NFL game.  Hope the kid does well.

Nice that the last time something worth taking inspiration from was over 30 years ago

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Nice that the last time something worth taking inspiration from was over 30 years ago

That is sad indeed—somehow I never felt this optimistic prior to JP Losman’s 1st start...like many of the other posters here, will be happy to see JA keep it together mentally, make some plays showing flashes of his great potential and overall stay upright regardless of how many points our D gives up.

He had a great TD pass to Andre Reed in that game. It was a classic Reed catch & run, a sign of things to come as he got better as a WR. Too bad we don't have any developing talent like that on the roster at this point. It would go a long way toward helping Allen this year. Even JP Lossman still had Eric Moulds and a young Lee Evans. Maybe Zay Jones can step it up......maybe......

A lot of Kelly's early success that year was due to Pete Metzellars. We need Charles Clay to stop being invisible tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The team was still very much a work in progress, however, and we went on to win a mere 4 games.

Somehow, amazingly, defying the odds, Jim Kelly was not "ruined."

:rolleyes:

I understand that it was a work in progress but at this point we already had a young Kent Hull and Andre Reed so the core was beginning to come together regardless of how many games they won that season. I am not worried about Allen being ruined but I am worried about the overall lack of talent we have up to this point on the offensive side of the ball.  

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nobody better give Josh the Business!

Baltimore did...

That one Baltimore defender, anyway...Judon, I think. 

Hit him on the sideline and then another one on the field. I think it was a "welcome to the NFL, rookie!" kind of moment. I wouldn't doubt if Harbough specifically assigned him to do it.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Baltimore did...

That one Baltimore defender, anyway...Judon, I think. 

Hit him on the sideline and then another one on the field. I think it was a "welcome to the NFL, rookie!" kind of moment. I wouldn't doubt if Harbough specifically assigned him to do it.

Yes and the NFL did fine him for the on field hit. 

So far Allen has shown grit and toughness. As well as the ability to shake off would be tacklers. I think we have allot better chance being competitive this year with him at the helm. He has better pocket presence and escapability. I'm excited to see what the kid can do. My expectations for this year have been tempered by our first loss. Just want us to be competitive until the reinforcements come next offseason.

Chargers will try to put Josh out of business.  They will bring everything including the kitchen sink.  Josh will have to take some lumps, but I think he will be able to hit on a few.  He doesn't seem to be Kelly tough, so I hope the kid is still standing at the end.

3 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Chargers will try to put Josh out of business.  They will bring everything including the kitchen sink.  Josh will have to take some lumps, but I think he will be able to hit on a few.  He doesn't seem to be Kelly tough, so I hope the kid is still standing at the end.

Still stung by the abysmal Peterman debacle last Sunday?  Let it go and look forward to the continued growth and development of Allen.

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Well, he’s bigger than Kelly. Then again,  the guys hitting him are bigger than the guys who hit Kelly.

Of course, those guys were actually allowed to pretty much abuse the QB. The guys hitting Allen now are restricted in what they can do. Imagine if Brady played in the ‘80’s and 90’s. He’d have been retired years ago. 

2 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

He had a great TD pass to Andre Reed in that game. It was a classic Reed catch & run, a sign of things to come as he got better as a WR. Too bad we don't have any developing talent like that on the roster at this point. It would go a long way toward helping Allen this year. Even JP Lossman still had Eric Moulds and a young Lee Evans. Maybe Zay Jones can step it up......maybe......

A lot of Kelly's early success that year was due to Pete Metzellars. We need Charles Clay to stop being invisible tomorrow.

Yep i remember thinking we finally have big play capability.  But Reed was a no name at that point and the two of them went on to become one of the most prolific QB-WR tandems in the history of the league.  Great quarterbacks make those around them better.  Let's see what Allen can do.  

Also saw some receptions by Jerry Butler in that game.  Didn't recall he was still playing when Kelly started.