Inspiration for Allen: Jim Kelly’s First Game

Jukester

Josh Allen will need a little bit of this type of toughness to survive Sunday.

I was 15 yrs old when Kelly played his first game and i remember it fondly.  The team had just come off back to back 2-14 seasons. That first game against the Jets was electric even though they lost. They only won 4 that year but most of those games were competitive.....and there was hope. And we all know what that era turned into. Here’s to hope.  

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, Jukester said:

That was the second Jets game that season in NY but I hear you. Classic.

I lmao everytime i watch that.  But to op..im all for hope.  Even if we have a crap record if i see Allen playing well and looking like our future the season will be a success to me.

1 minute ago, Skins Malone said:

I lmao everytime i watch that.  But to op..im all for hope.  Even if we have a crap record if i see Allen playing well and looking like our future the season will be a success to me.

Exactly.  I'll take that and then follow it up with a good draft (for offense this time).

Not to mention the rules of the game in Kelly’s era allowed the defense to pretty much get away with murder when compared to today, making Kelly’s toughness stand out even more—Joe Pa really knew what he was doing when he told Kelly he wanted him to come to Penn State—as a linebacker! Loved watching that man play ball. 10 years was not nearly long enough for me as a Kelly fanatic growing up.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nobody better give Josh the Business!

I know Ed Hochuli was few people's favorite ref, but I laughed when he said it (with accompanying headlock and punching motion), and to this day I still give a short huff whenever someone mentions it.  ?

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I know Ed Hochuli was few people's favorite ref, but I laughed when he said it (with accompanying headlock and punching motion), and to this day I still give a short huff whenever someone mentions it.  ?

It was Ben Dreith actually. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

A New Namath, But With Knees

It's easy to lose perspective here. It's easy to get carried away. Let's just say, coolly and unemotionally, that the National Football League debut of Buffalo rookie quarterback Jim Kelly was nothing short of sensational.

Jim Kelly is Joe Namath with knees.

The Bills lost to the New York Jets 28-24 on Sunday, but it wasn't Kelly's fault. He threw three touchdown passes, exactly one third of the Bills' total production last year. He brought the Bills back twice in the fourth quarter, once giving them a three-point lead and then moving them to within four points, and he might have pulled off some kind of miracle at the end if the defense had held and given him one more shot. But these are, after all, still the Buffalo Bills, and the Jets socked them for 210 yards and 14 points in that final period. All Kelly could do was watch New York eat up yards and minutes.

But Lordy, wasn't the new guy something? Joe Willie with knees.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Totally agree with the attitude here. Gotta be patient. Exciting to get Josh on the field this early. If he’s not ready Nate’s personality is one that can step in and get after it if needed. How jacked would we all be if Josh shows us Sunday that we have a QB for the future. #Daretodream

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Only difference is there was alot of other young talent showing up around then too.  The Bills absolutely have to hit on the next draft...we need a legit WR who is a playmaker and they have to strengthen the o-line if we expect to see Josh have any success.  

The team was still very much a work in progress, however, and we went on to win a mere 4 games.

Somehow, amazingly, defying the odds, Jim Kelly was not "ruined."

:rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Jukester said:

Josh Allen will need a little bit of this type of toughness to survive Sunday.

I was 15 yrs old when Kelly played his first game and i remember it fondly.  The team had just come off back to back 2-14 seasons. That first game against the Jets was electric even though they lost. They only won 4 that year but most of those games were competitive.....and there was hope. And we all know what that era turned into. Here’s to hope.  

I think we might be in the 84 era of this team except that Josh is on the team instead of the USFL and we have the right coach , unlike Kay and Bullough.