Reason for some optimism. Receivers open.

billsintaiwan

Wowsers. I was not expecting to see some of them THAT wide open. Kerley didn't have anyone within 50 yards of him on that last one of his. He was waving his arms in the air in frustration.

There were multiple plays where Peterman threw to the guy who was covered the best instead of the two or three other options who were open. For instance, on that deep ball to the end zone to Benjamim, Croom was WIDE open on the same side of the field.

I don't see how anyone can watch these plays and not have hope for Allen to actually see these guys. Hopefully the film review will give him some perspective and confidence to throw to these guys.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

A complete training camp with the ones would have helped. The more you run the plays the better feel you get for how they develop. Allen didnt even have a week of preparation going into the game.

This year is his training camp. We're gonna get the good, the bad, and the ugly for 15 more games this year. Better than Peterman or McCarron, who only possess the bad and the ugly.

Hopefully he learns from it and can roll into the offseason with his head straight on how to be successful. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Wowsers. I was not expecting to see some of them THAT wide open. Kerley didn't have anyone within 50 yards of him on that last one of his. He was waving his arms in the air in frustration.

There were multiple plays where Peterman threw to the guy who was covered the best instead of the two or three other options who were open. For instance, on that deep ball to the end zone to Benjamim, Croom was WIDE open on the same side of the field.

I don't see how anyone can watch these plays and not have hope for Allen to actually see these guys. Hopefully the film review will give him some perspective and confidence to throw to these guys.

That's kind of what happens when you have a QB that decides where he is going with the ball presnap. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dafan said:

This is worse than how how wide open some guys were for tyrod that he never saw.

Definitely reminiscent, though some of these throws were even more inane than tyrod's.

I think Allen sees these guys. He goes through his reads. Will probably take some sacks that he shouldn't, but ideally he will get faster as he gains experience.

I like that he is good at buying time, he can run, and can throw with a guy hanging on him. The last QB I was excited about was Drew Bledsoe. His first eight games were the last time we had a really dangerous attack in my opinion. Allen has everything. Just needs to not get killed and gain experience.

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Or in their facemask lol

One ball hit Zay with in the facemask.  I guess he didn't see it?

I looked at that video review.

Some of those guys declared open were not open, especially in the heat of the pass rush when the QB is not set.

Still, there were opportunities to make plays that the "1st rookie" missed.    Some guys that were open deep were open because the safety locked onto Peterman, who never looked off and went to a second option. 

Hoping or 2nd rookie QB can see the field better and deliver the ball.

bills_at_ravens_wr_look_6.gif

This one is so bad. He has a solid pocket, all he has to do is hold it for a fraction of a second longer to see Croom WIDE open. Even at the time of the throw the CB has a 5 yard cushion with his hips open. KB is not fast, he's not going to run past that corner.

This article actually made me feel quite a bit better. It seemed like every time they showed receivers down the field during the telecast, everyone was blanketed. I just assumed that was all game, but it's clear Peterman was missing guys left and right. 

All things being equal, receivers should be "more open" and thus appear to perform better for Allen than for Peterman.  Whereas a receiver with a half step on the DB will make Peterman pump and then hesitate, Allen will see the exact same look and sling it, having more confidence in his arm.  That's my hope and theory, anyway.