9-12: Sean McDermott & Shady-Allen Pressers Live

26CornerBlitz

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

We shall see.  The kid has potential.  He also is very raw.  That is why there are such extreme views about him.  The analytics crowd loves Baker Mayfield and hates Josh.  Old school guys fall in love with Josh's arm talent and think that they can coach him up to fix his deficiencies.

Again, I had my doubts about the kid when we drafted him, but I desperately want him to succeed for the reasons why I have mentioned (including that the franchise will be set back a lot).

I also think that McBeane have not done the kid any favors given that:

1) the line is substandard;

2) they traded the only other viable option for a 5th round pick thereby forcing them to start Josh now when he may not be ready, may have been better served by giving him some more time, and by starting him (or any of our QBs for that matter) behind a bad offensive line.

You really need to read my posts more accurately. 

What did I miss? You said he had to show enough before the draft next year. Doesn’t that mean this season?  

I’m just saying if that’s the case and given his poor supporting cast, especially up front, you may need to temper your expectation of what showing enough means. 

If you care to expand on what showing enough means, I’d be interested to know your take on it.

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What did I miss? You said he had to show enough before the draft next year. Doesn’t that mean this season?  

I’m just saying if that’s the case and given his poor supporting cast, especially up front, you may need to temper your expectation of what showing enough means. 

If you care to expand on what showing enough means, I’d be interested to know your take on it.

Everything should be considered in context . . . both my posts and evaluating Josh.

As for my posts, I have said repeatedly that McBeane have not done Josh any favors for the reasons why I have mentioned.

As for evaluating Josh, we need to evaluate him in context as well.  I am not expecting him to take us to the super bowl.  He just needs to show enough to confirm that he is what some think he can be (or confirm that he definitely can become that guy with the correct supporting cast).  As an aside, I have a history here of defending QBs and trying to remind people to look at the big picture.  As recently as this pre-season, I was defending AJ and posted a video with each one of his throws in a game to demonstrate that the vast majority of the incompletions were either not his fault or were intentional and that the second interception was clearly not his fault. 

I am willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt given the surrounding cast, but we do need to see enough out of him before we draft in 2019 given that we are likely to have a high pick.

As for McBeane, I stopped giving them the benefit of any doubts.

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I really hope they don't put Josh in front of the media after games. Good or bad.

The media can be ruthless and, Buffalo media especially, overly negative. If Josh becomes an established starter, then give him media duty. Otherwise, put Shady or Kyle or some other vet on the mic.

I could be wrong, but I don't think teams have a lot of flexibility there.  I think they have got to put the QB out there.

But maybe I'm mistaken.

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Everything should be considered in context . . . both my posts and evaluating Josh.

As for my posts, I have said repeatedly that McBeane have not done Josh any favors for the reasons why I have mentioned.

As for evaluating Josh, we need to evaluate him in context as well.  I am not expecting him to take us to the super bowl.  He just needs to show enough to confirm that he is what some think he can be (or confirm that he definitely can become that guy with the correct supporting cast).  As an aside, I have a history here of defending QBs and trying to remind people to look at the big picture.  As recently as this pre-season, I was defending AJ and posted a video with each one of his throws in a game to demonstrate that the vast majority of the incompletions were either not his fault or were intentional and that the second interception was clearly not his fault. 

I am willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt given the surrounding cast, but we do need to see enough out of him before we draft in 2019 given that we are likely to have a high pick.

As for McBeane, I stopped giving them the benefit of any doubts.

I haven't read all of your posts, so if I'm missing context, I understand. I appreciate the clarification. 

But "showing enough" is an abstract concept as it means many different things to different people. Especially coaches and teammates who understand what he's showing on a different contextual level. 

I don't think one season will be enough to answer the question on him, but if there's a QB rated higher than Allen coming out next year, I'd consider him. At the very least as a bargaining chip for teams looking to trade up for a QB. But Bosa's and Oliver's early evaluations suggest they are light years ahead as prospects vs. any QBs currently expected to come out. I'm not sure I'd pass up blue chip talent at premium positions to take a flyer on a QB prospect already not considered as good a prospect as Allen was coming out. I understand the thinking though. 

4 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

This is how I read McD as well.  I actually stated it two days ago by saying, "they didn't think they would have to throw Josh in this quickly," but they have no recourse now.

Yep, kind of the "fool me twice" thing with Peterman.

It also seems to me the Bodine/Groy competition has turned out similar.

I really think everyone thought Bodine would win it early but he underwhelmed.

So they name Groy right at the end and he doesn't play well either.

As a side note, I bet the last 2 days at OBD have been quiet and tense with the players and coaches all doing some self evaluation.

If so I hope it lights a fire.

2 hours ago, stony said:

FWIW, Allen looked nervous as hell at his presser.  I also think that's a good thing.    

I felt the same thing.

Josh has been "protected" all summer (which I think was the plan).

Sunday will be JA's "then came the dawn" moment.

I think he can give a decent showing if the rest of the O gets inspired by his effort.

• Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen is in the same spot we've all been in when trying to cross a creek without getting our shoes wet.

It makes you so nervous... neurotic even. You tiptoe, you try to balance beam across a log... the thought of stepping into the creek and getting your shoes wet is terrifying.

Then your foot slips and you're up to your ankles in water. At that point, you stomp right through the middle of the freaking creek and don't even care how deep it gets.

Josh Allen is the Bills superstar Franchise QB for what I've been gathering from the Josh Allen fans. I hope so for us. He's starting all 15 games. Nate is not seeing the field again. Next game I hope he gets 200+ yards, 1 TD.  That's a low goal to meet. We will lose though because, again, our defense is the worst in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think he is saying in retrospect it was the right move. I think he was saying at the time I thoroughly believed that Nate was the right choice and I am not going to start second guessing my heartfelt decisions as they happen. He was obviously saying that it was a bad choice by the some are right some are wrong statement. 

The real scary thought is that he honestly believed that starting Nate was the right decision at the time. We may be screwed. 

A lot of people on this board and in the media thought it was the right choice.  Myself included.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Josh Allen is the Bills superstar Franchise QB for what I've been gathering from the Josh Allen fans. I hope so for us. He's starting all 15 games. Nate is not seeing the field again. Next game I hope he gets 200+ yards, 1 TD.  That's a low goal to meet. We will lose though because, again, our defense is the worst in the NFL.

By what relevant statistical measure is the Bills defense the "worst in the NFL?"

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Their d line is horrible at getting pressure,  bottom 3rd in stopping the run,  only 1 promising lb,  and an extremely overrated secondary....... For starters. 

It was only one game. We have quite a bit of evidence from last year that this is actually a fairly decent defense. Are there holes? Yes. Our edge rushers aren't great and we're short one good outside corner. But there's talent and a nice mix of vets and young players. Give it another week or two. The offense put the team in some really tough spots, not to mention they couldn't move the ball AT ALL so the D was gassed by mid second quarter.

Edited by VW82

9 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Their d line is horrible at getting pressure,  bottom 3rd in stopping the run,  only 1 promising lb,  and an extremely overrated secondary....... For starters. 

I don’t disagree, necessarily, but that doesn’t make them the worst.