9-12: Sean McDermott & Shady-Allen Pressers Live

26CornerBlitz

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

To paraphrase:

Reporter: was this your decision to switch QB’s? 

McD: ultimately all decisions come down to me. As you know me and Brandon Beane talk a lot. Brandon and I discussed the decision and we report/stay in communication with Terry and Kim. 

I got nuthin'.  If the Pegulas and Brandon Beane are making starting roster decisions on offense with McDermott and not involving Daboll, it's weird.

OTOH, maybe Allen was how Daboll wanted to roll from the start, and McDermott/Beane overuled him with the Pegulas endorsement, so those were the folks who had to buy in to the change.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

The whole taking stuff to his grave thing bothers me to. I mean, c'mon, that's used when someone is trying to hard to convince.

I just don't like McDermott's style.  Something about it just feels very wrong to me.  I hate to say it but I liked Marrone's style better, even though he was a dinosaur as well.

I take it differently.  To me he is saying he was all in on starting NP.

The quick change from that to JA shows he failed.

He is owning up to the NP starter call and not throwing anyone under the bus.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

These things are usually more subtle than that. 

Having been in a few rooms where it was going down, the usual mechanism is that managers and executives tend to feel more comfortable and have a more positive view of people we "resonate" with because they remind us of ourselves or of people we admire.  It happens to everyone unless they're consciously aware and fight it.

The bottom line is that Peterman looked better overall in preseason, Allen did not look ready, and McDermott rolled with that viewpoint and didn't look very far under the hood.

Yeah, but preseason football games, and who looks good in them, are kind of meaningless.  We know that to be true.

You would hope the actual coaching staff of the team isn't making any decision based on how someone looks in a preseason football game.

Those guys were getting hundreds of snaps all summer long.  I assume they went with Peterman simply b/c Allen was deemed raw and not ready to go.

And of course, if that is true, it is a mistake to start him on Sunday.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He might really dislike the idea of having his rookie QB make his first start against the Chargers again. People can be superstitious that way.

I don't expect McD to be happy because best case scenario has Peterman playing well enough to hold down the position until Allen has had some time to watch and learn on the sidelines. More importantly, allowing the O as a unit time to gel. 

Sometimes what wasn't the plans becomes part of the process... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills coach Sean McDermott: It's 'right time' to start quarterback Josh Allen

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills are now Josh Allen's football team and coach Sean McDermott said he "doesn't feel the need to elaborate" on why he's decided to bench Nathan Peterman.

"Josh will start. ... It's the right move for our team," McDermott said. "We talk a lot in house about decisions and things and what we've gotta do, and the right move at the right time. And right now this is the right move."

McDermott is pivoting away from Peterman after just one game. The national and local media called the coach's decision to go with Peterman questionable, and the criticism grew after the second-year quarterback stumbled against the Baltimore Ravens.

I feel bad for (Peterman) but he's not an NFL quarterback or close," Barnwell said on his podcast, "The Bill Barnwell show." "They are a rebuilding team, but it just seems sadistic to do this to (Peterman) who's not able to do this for a living. It seems like it's going to kill your credibility as a head coach if you keep running Nathan Peterman out there."

, I think if I was coach about every Monday or Tuesday I would call Peterman into my office and say you're the starter this week. And then 5 minutes later laugh and say I was just kidding, shut the door on your way out.?

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 9-12: Sean McDermott & Player Pressers Live
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 9-12: Sean McDermott & Shady-Allen Pressers Live

McBeane better pray that Josh Allen shows that he is a franchise QB given all that they have invested (gave up) to get him. 

If Josh does not show that he is a franchise QB (or that he is highly likely to be one), McBeane have dug their own graves.

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

His refusal to even remotely admit that he made a mistake is reminiscent of his failure to do so after the Charger game last year.

Some of the stuff this guy does is cringe worthy.

I remember him saying "That's on me."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really hope they don't put Josh in front of the media after games. Good or bad.

The media can be ruthless and, Buffalo media especially, overly negative. If Josh becomes an established starter, then give him media duty. Otherwise, put Shady or Kyle or some other vet on the mic.

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

McBeane better pray that Josh Allen shows that he is a franchise QB given all that they have invested (gave up) to get him. 

If Josh does not show that he is a franchise QB (or that he is highly likely to be one), McBeane have dug their own graves.

Goff had a terrible first year and everyone thought he was a bust. His 2nd year he literally it up.

So I disagree with you. Josh Allen will have 3-4 years to prove himself like any other high draft pick should.

10 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

There seems to be a whole lot of unsubstantiated tea leaf reading in this thread.

I cant help but thinking you hope he fails

Think again.

I desperately want Josh to succeed.  Although I had a lot of doubts about drafting the kid, he is very likeable, he has embraced Buffalo, and he does have some raw potential - how much and whether he reaches it remains to be seen.

The main reason why I want Josh to succeed is that, if he does not, his failure and everything that McBeane did to get him (and all of the guys they got rid of) will send this franchise further back than it has been for a long time.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

What the GM better hope that the 1st round QB he drafted works out...what strange and unusual situation.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do not recall him EVER saying that the decision was a mistake or that he made a mistake.  He is saying that he is responsible for making what he thinks was a good decision (this year and last).

Just now, Warcodered said:

What the GM better hope that the 1st round QB he drafted works out...what strange and unusual situation.

I suspect that you know that we did not just merely use our own pick to draft him.  I hope you know that we let the Jets beat us to the punch on Darnold and we made several moves to pick where we ended up picking . . . and did this all in the context of getting rid of so many other players.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Right. He also said some decisions work out and some don't. Clearly he admitted that his decision didn't work out and he owns that. 

However, he's not regretting it. He's standing by the decisions he makes with the information he has at the time. He's not going to let the media push him into second-guessing himself or throwing Nate under the bus.

People just hear what they want to hear or simply can't comprehend words.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I do not recall him EVER saying that the decision was a mistake or that he made a mistake.  He is saying that he is responsible for making what he thinks was a good decision (this year and last).

He said the decision did not work out.

How do you interpret that?

• Thank you (+1) 1