Nobody should be doubting Beane or McDermott

SoCoBills

These guys have a plan. Unfortunately though sometimes plans can be thrown off the rails by uncontrollable occurrences and even the best laid plans burn to ashes. 

When the Bills were scouting throughout 2017 they knew they were happy with their interior OL and they knew they wanted to get this team it’s new Franchise Quarterback while also trying to fill a massive hole at middle linebacker. The Bills made moves to make that happen. 

Unfortunately the first bomb fell and blew apart the process when Eric Wood’s post season diagnosis and resulting retirement came to be. Looking over the roster though the Bills felt decent about how Groy performed in his absence and brought in Bodine as insurance. OKAY, fine. Understandable. We still have Richie, a promising prospect in Dawkins and draft capital to add more pieces without mortgaging the future. 

Then another shock ripples through the plan and breaks it to pieces. Incognito literally loses his mind and renigs on his restructured deal all the way into retirement. Now what? At this point the Bills again, and wisely decided to stick to the plan. Draft your future at QB and draft your leader on defense who already looks like he has stardom in his future. If there is one villain in this story it is certainly Incognito but as he’s faded into the shadows of the Twitter-verse and out of relevance the blame fingers had to find somewhere else to point. 

Going into next year the Bills have young talent emerging, they have some draft capital and they have a heck of a lot of cap space being freed up to build a heck of a football team for years to come. 

Unfortunately this year could be painful. They couldn’t have planned for Richie to lose his mind and chose to stay the course rather than trying to compete on the FA market for replacements which could impact future cap plans/space. Sure there were some misfires - Davis appears to be one and the jury is still out on Star. 

The FA market right now isn’t exactly a shining beacon of light when it comes to offensive line talent. I don’t think they ever meant to phone in this season. I believe they very much so want to win but I also believe they see the big picture and if I had to guess they know that the Pegulas share their vision and are committed to them beyond this year. 

I believe Beane and McD are constantly evaluating & constantly looking to improve the team but not at the expense of the bigger picture. If we have Wood & Incognito I think we are worlds better than we are right now. I think that makes our offense immediately competent. It’s eye opening to discover exactly how important the big guys along the inside of your OL are when you don’t have any good ones isn’t it?

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

They had plenty of time to adjust to the best 60% of the starting OL leaving. (not enough time left to scout is SO LAME)

Honestly, the OL was not good last year either (or the last 20 years for that matter).

Tyrod/McCoy made them LOOK serviceable because they were quick scramblers.

OL should have been majorly addressed. Been saying it for 20 years... but especially after losing those 3 guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I agree that unexpectedly losing 2 key linemen was a big setback.  But it would have been nice to see more urgency there - we didn’t do much in the draft or FA to address.

not much in the way of affordable FA or draft to address.   I'd take Edmunds and Allen over a OL.   

Not much OL FA next year either.   Will be hitting that in the draft.  10 picks next year.   The two biggest positions might be addressed.  getting the OL iand pass rush in place is now a priority.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DougFlutie7 said:

Einstein?  I have two eyes!!  And their not lying to me. For anyone to say “Nobody should doubt McBeane” is a joke!  These guys haven’t done jack sh%t except luck into a playoff spot and build the worst roster in the NFL. DONT DOUBT THEM?!?!???  Lol.

Plenty of other teams to root for sir......can I pack your bags for you?

No

Then you are violating the TOS of this board......do you realize that?

• Like (+1) 2

While I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for another year or so, and the people who actually matter (Pegulas) will give them at least that, there are glaring concerns.

Most significant is the clear preference for players they are familiar with, a concern that the layman fan can clearly identify. Lotulelei had been considered to be on the decline by mainstream and statistically-oriented news organizations, including PFF, and looked to be done via the eye test. Benjamin's rookie year also appears to be a clear fluke, and it's concerning that personnel decisions appear to be made based on players' performance from years ago, when Beane was able to see them play well on a day-to-day basis.

As for the draft picks, I don't think Beane should have gone all-in with his accumulated capital to acquire Allen and Edmunds. The trade up for the former was seen as a complete overpay according to the value charts, and is a more glaring concern when you consider that Beane was willing to trade away from Mahomes' draft slot and then burn the acquired resources for his 2018 trade up. The team has glaring holes, and a better GM would have at least used some of the Edmunds picks on a more full roster (if he wanted to get his QB at all costs, fine; if he wanted to get his MLB at all costs, the move was wrong even if Edmunds turns into a Pro Bowler).

The neglect of the o-line and WR in this year's draft cannot be overstated. As for McDermott, his communication leaves a lot to be desired, and his game management skills/aggression are certainly not top tier. They deserve some time, but there are some significant concerns that lead me to believe these guys are not top-tier.

Einstein?  I have two eyes!!  And their not lying to me. For anyone to say “Nobody should doubt McBeane” is a joke!  These guys haven’t done jack sh%t except luck into a playoff spot and build the worst roster in the NFL. DONT DOUBT THEM?!?!???  Lol.

It appears OP suffers from excessive single-minded zeal... 

I’m not even going to bother with those incapable of showing proper respect or at least courtesy to other forum members. 

That said, I stand by my OP. I’m not claiming anyone is God’s Gift to football but I do like some of the young players. I think next year we will be competitive though not great and the year after we are a playoff team if they keep things rolling as they have been. 

Right now there are too many pieces to fill. McCoy won’t be here beyond next year IMO. The Bills will get some pieces via draft and FA. To score big on both Edmunds and Allen like I feel we have and to get a long term contributor in Phillips like I feel we have in one draft is phenomenal.

Also because there was a Tyrod mention. Tyrod had a very long time to throw last year before taking off. Tyrod doesn’t see the field and or doesn’t trust his eyes. He has so few turnovers because he rarely takes any chances and rarely throws the ball down the field. That’s why he rarely throws for over 150 yards in any game. Tyrod is serviceable as a backup or on teams that want to ground and pound and win with defense. IMO Cleveland wins week 1 over Pittsburgh if they have Baker in over Tyrod but now we are getting off topic. 

The Browns are a great example though. They are going the route of some of the better organizations. The Rams a few years back are another example. A team wins only a few games for one or two years. Gets building blocks for the future, stays the course and then the future is bright for the next decade. I see the Bills going in that direction right now, but hopefully with some more wins. 

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1