Bucky Brooks: Nathan Peterman Will Be "Human Pinata" Behind Bad Offensive Line

26CornerBlitz

Buffalo Bills QB Nathan Peterman will be 'human pinata' behind bad offensive line, says NFL analyst Bucky Brooks

NFL network analyst Bucky Brooks thinks Buffalo Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman is in big trouble after being named the team's starting quarterback and edging out rookie first-round pick Josh Allen.

"You're the human pinata. That's what (Peterman) is," Brooks said on his "Move The Sticks" podcast this week. "He's the human pinata. He's going to get beat to a pulp; They're gonna sacrifice him for four games before Josh Allen goes in. And man, those defenses. If he had a problem with the Chargers last year that first game. I'm not saying he'll throw five picks but it's gonna be tough."

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Bucky Brooks....one of the biggest busts in Bills history.  Enough said.

In all reality, it’s a fair take though I think the are forgetting that Peterman gets the ball out quick to negate the rush.  Plus the Bills coaches have to know how bad the line is at pass blocking.  Expect lots of game planning 

Silly point to make. Enough said. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Silly point?  It’s 100% true

It's irrelevant to his capabilities as an NFL analyst and his opinion of the 2018 Bills.  As a 2nd round pick, he's not even close to one of the biggest busts in Bills' history.   Regardless, it's not germane to the discussion. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Eric Wood told a story on OBL yesterday about how a few years ago they had a similar preseason with the offensive line. Everyone dumped on them and the narrative all around the league was about how bad the oline in Buffalo was.

Then they went on to lead the league in rushing and gave up among the fewest sacks in the NFL.

His point was that preseason can be very different from the regular season.

We may have a bad oline or may not, but it has nothing to do with how they performed in the preseason.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills QB Nathan Peterman will be 'human pinata' behind bad offensive line, says NFL analyst Bucky Brooks

NFL network analyst Bucky Brooks thinks Buffalo Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman is in big trouble after being named the team's starting quarterback and edging out rookie first-round pick Josh Allen.

"You're the human pinata. That's what (Peterman) is," Brooks said on his "Move The Sticks" podcast this week. "He's the human pinata. He's going to get beat to a pulp; They're gonna sacrifice him for four games before Josh Allen goes in. And man, those defenses. If he had a problem with the Chargers last year that first game. I'm not saying he'll throw five picks but it's gonna be tough."

Brooks' co-host Daniel Jeremiah thinks the Bills will struggle to protect Peterman or Allen this season behind a poor offensive line.

"Congratulations on winning the job. Your offensive line stinks and you get to play the Ravens, the Chargers, the Vikings and the Packers," Jeremiah said. "(Peterman has) played great in the preseason - I don't want to get that lost - (but) it's the preseason. When you look at their offensive line, it's not good up front. I don't know how they're going to be able to block these teams."

Ohhhh BOY! Peterman's in BIIIIGGGGG TROUBLE GUYS! What do we do, Bucky, WHAT DO WE DO?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Eric Wood told a story on OBL yesterday about how a few years ago they had a similar preseason with the offensive line. Everyone dumped on them and the narrative all around the league was about how bad the oline in Buffalo was.

Then they went on to lead the league in rushing and gave up among the fewest sacks in the NFL.

We may have a bad oline or may not, but it has nothing to do with how they performed in the preseason.

It certainly isn't based just on the preseason as many predicted the OL would struggle this season with the talent (or lack thereof) on hand after the offseason departures. 

By tomorrow the world will know. I'm hoping the scheme can minimize the damage. With all the new bull **** rules we may pick up a few "roughing" penalties.  I think we all hope for the best and plan for the worst.  It will be interesting to see if any of the vet OL out there have been contacted.  If Ducasse can hold up and Miller can minimize the penalties we may survive.  

I think Nate is better than what the experts give him credit for. Not top 15 but not bottom 5 either.  He will be an upgrade over Tyrod. It will be interesting to see how TT does with all those weapons in CLE. 

TT. 16-31 211 yds 1TD  6 Rushes for 41.  2 sacks

NP 21-28 284  2TDs 1 INT  2 rushes for 7 yds.  4 sacks

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Exactly. Logic says the line will be bad, but how often does football follow logic. Look at last year to see how predictably units play week-to-week. After the 3-game-dive in the middle of the season, there was no reason to think our line could block anyone or our defense had a clue how to tackle, then the following week in KC, they played well.

Our line (as well as other teams' lines) has been deemed "terrible" many times in the past only to take the field and do just fine. The opposite is true as well. We'll get the first glimpse tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll all be pleasantly surprised, even if we have no reason to expect that. 

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I remember this, they were brutal last preseason too. I’m interested to see how they play against Baltimore. Peterman gets the ball pit quick so I wouldn’t be surprised if the line held up.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

It’s possible the Bengals did them a huge favor.  It’s our only hope.