Which players on the final 53 are on the block and why?

If we’ve learned on thing from last season, it’s the final 53 is not necessarily final with mr Beane. 

He did did a very effective job trading for additional draft capital while the team score a playoff berth. But there was some depth, and solid swaps and the motive was moving for a QB.

what about now? 

Are there still potential trading chips? 

Who is untouchable? 

I’m not seeing much personally but was curious about the community’s thoughts...

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I would not at all be surprised if Shady is traded away for a high round draft pick, provided early enough on we realize we have no shot at a winning season...Beane has done a phenomenal job of getting more than anticipated for players, and if Murphy plays as well as advertised, we could see the end of Shady in Buff.

I would be inclined to think Clay is untouchable,  at least for the upcoming year.  But if he underachieves the way he did last year, I think this will be his last year here.  We have a promising group of young talent at the TE position.  

Hughes is to me untouchable.  He's our only bonafide pass rusher,  and I think he's poised for a double digit sack year.

Aside from Tre'Davius, Hyde and Poyer, I dont see anyone else as locks. (Rookies not included)  

Just my 2 cents

• Like (+1) 1

I think everyone is on the block at all times, for the right price.  I think Beane has said this before.  Though, at the moment, I don't believe Beane to be shopping anyone.

The closest to untouchable is Josh Allen. Obvious reasons.

The next closest to untouchable is Shady because he is the only weapon available. But Beane would still move him for a good offer.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, smuvtalker said:

I would not at all be surprised if Shady is traded away for a high round draft pick, provided early enough on we realize we have no shot at a winning season...Beane has done a phenomenal job of getting more than anticipated for players, and if Murphy plays as well as advertised, we could see the end of Shady in Buff.

I would be inclined to think Clay is untouchable,  at least for the upcoming year.  But if he underachieves the way he did last year, I think this will be his last year here.  We have a promising group of young talent at the TE position.  

Hughes is to me untouchable.  He's our only bonafide pass rusher,  and I think he's poised for a double digit sack year.

Aside from Tre'Davius, Hyde and Poyer, I dont see anyone else as locks. (Rookies not included)  

Just my 2 cents

Good post.  Completely agree on Clay.  Too much money for so little production so far.  Shady...i dont think they would but if we are out of contention it would be possible.

Shaq Lawson could also be a possibility imo.  He needs to have a monster year.  Especially for the fact he was not this regime's pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

I can't imagine there are many untouchables on this roster.  If the Bills stumble out of the gate and the right offer comes along I believe Beane will take it.  The feeling has to be; if they are losing games with these players they can lose games without them.

Edited by Epstein's Mother
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Good post.  Completely agree on Clay.  Too much money for so little production so far.  Shady...i dont think they would but if we are out of contention it would be possible.

Shaq Lawson could also be a possibility imo.  He needs to have a monster year.  Especially for the fact he was not this regime's pick.  

Completely forgot about Lawson, and I agree that he needs to play possessed this year.  You couldn't be more spot on about the fact this regime has absolutely no loyalty to him whatsoever.  If he plays out of his gourd, they were patient with him, nurtured him so he could mature.  If he has another lackluster season, just one more piece of the Whaley Era to rid the organization of...

There are a lot of serviceable vets still out there. I guess everyone is waiting until after week one to bring them in. Seems other than some PS shuffling, no one around the NFL is making moves for these vets. Unless it is all under the radar, waiting for that vet guarantee to come off the books.

There has to be something we don't know about the OL.  McD seems to have unbridled confidence in what looks like a turnstile of misfits. We've seen little to no action taken when starting vets are still FA. I believe he feels communication, preparation and execution is more valuable than talent and he is not ready to take a chance on having to insert new players into the line who have not been with the team throughout "the process."

I hope it pans out because that O lived up to the term "offensive" line in the pre-season.

Edited by BillsRdue

4 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Just my 2 cents

Allens a lock ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

All you have to do is go to sportac.com and look at the dead money column and that will tell you who is safe.

I have to assume the Bills don't want to ring-up dead cap money in 2019 as they have this year.

And listening to Beane's interview on OBL yesterday, he mentioned something to this effect. About not having the dead money next year

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

There are a lot of serviceable vets still out there. I guess everyone is waiting until after week one to bring them in. Seems other than some PS shuffling, no one around the NFL is making moves for these vets. Unless it is all under the radar, waiting for that vet guarantee to come off the books.

There has to be something we don't know about the OL.  McD seems to have unbridled confidence in what looks like a turnstile of misfits. We've seen little to no action taken when starting vets are still FA. I believe he feels communication, preparation and execution is more valuable than talent and he is not ready to take a chance on having to insert new players into the line who have not been with the team throughout "the process."

I hope it pans out because that O lived up to the term "offensive" line in the pre-season.

McDermott's response to losing both Wood and Incognito quite suddenly in the off-season reminds me of nothing so much as Dick Jauron's response to the Bills trading Jason Peters in 2009: denial.   That worked out well.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoTier said:

McDermott's response to losing both Wood and Incognito quite suddenly in the off-season reminds me of nothing so much as Dick Jauron's response to the Bills trading Jason Peters in 2009: denial.   That worked out well.

You should never post here again!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

TBF Myles Garrett is a future All Pro and DPOY. 

TBF it really doesn't matter.  Dawkins struggled.  Then he was injured for the third preseason game.  Meanwhile, his linemates got beat like drums in game 3 until Cinci put in their second/third/fourth stringers, and weren't impressive against scrubs.   The starting defense got ripped by Cinci's first stringers in game 3.  I can see fans pretending poor performances in preseason don't matter but bravado by players in the face of such poor play is simply whistling past the graveyard. 

1 hour ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Now I know you are trolling.  You had me at first, Kudos, but this response is so dim-witted it can not possibly be serious.  Good job on the initial troll though.  

Since when is it "trolling" to point out facts?   The OL play stunk against both Cleveland's and Cinci's first team defenses.  Both McCarron and Allen were forced from the game.  McCarron injured his collar bone while Allen banged his head on the turf complements of the Browns' and Cinci's pass rush.  Did you watch those games?  McCarron was getting dumped or scrambling all the time he was in there.  The same with Allen in the first half against Cinci.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You should never post here again!

What has been Beane and McDermott's response to the loss of Wood and Incognito?  Bringing in a FA OC who couldn't even beat out Wood's backup plus adding a bunch of other scrub FAs who likely wouldn't make most NFL rosters.  Trading away the team's veteran LT after letting the third string LT, Henderson, walk in FA.  The Bills finally got around to drafting an OLer in the 5th round of the draft.  Obviously, the OL was not any kind of priority.

What was Dick Jauron's response to the Bills trading away Jason Peters in 2009?   Jauron tried to force RT Langston Walker to play LT, and he promptly "retired".  I think he came back to play for the Raiders later that season.  At least in 2009 the Bills spent some draft capital on the OL, drafting Wood at the end of the first round and Andy Levitre in the 2nd or 3rd round ....

.... and I think I should change my comparison of McDermott and Jauron:  McDermott values/cares about the OL even less than Jauron did, something that I thought was impossible.   The Bills went 5-11 that season, and Jauron was fired before the half way point IIRC.

Edited by SoTier

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Since when is it "trolling" to point out facts?   The OL play stunk against both Cleveland's and Cinci's first team defenses.  Both McCarron and Allen were forced from the game.  McCarron injured his collar bone while Allen banged his head on the turf complements of the Browns' and Cinci's pass rush.  Did you watch those games?  McCarron was getting dumped or scrambling all the time he was in there.  The same with Allen in the first half against Cinci.

First of all, we were talking about Dion Dawkins and you decided to go off on a tangent about the play of the entire offensive line instead of addressing the Dawkins question.  Second of all like I said before, if you are going to judge Dawkins on a few series of preseason football instead of his very promising rookie season where he stepped in at the toughest spot on the line and played very well, you are either trolling, or completely clueless.  Third of all, people get hurt playing football.  Brady was lost for the season in 2007.  Joe Montana suffered a bad injury in 1990 on the 14-2 49ers.  How bad were their offensive lines?  Saying McCarron was hurt because the offensive line didn't do their job can be applied to almost any QB injury in the history of football.  It is a ridiculous argument and makes you look ridiculous.  Forth, yes the offensive line may be bad this season but this thread is about Dion Dawkins.  You apparently realized how ridiculous it is to argue Dion Dawkins is bad due to his performance against Myles Garrett while ignoring his rookie season.  So instead you tried to turn it into a discussion about the entire offensive line and hoped I wouldn't noticed that you had no real response to my original retort of your blabber.  Again, get a life buddy.

13 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Lawson is an interesting thought. Which defenses does he better fit? Ravens? Bengals? 

16 hours ago, SoTier said:

TBF it really doesn't matter.  Dawkins struggled.  Then he was injured for the third preseason game.  Meanwhile, his linemates got beat like drums in game 3 until Cinci put in their second/third/fourth stringers, and weren't impressive against scrubs.   The starting defense got ripped by Cinci's first stringers in game 3.  I can see fans pretending poor performances in preseason don't matter but bravado by players in the face of such poor play is simply whistling past the graveyard. 

From Week 10 of 2017 onwards, he was our fourth-ranked player with a 84.6 grade behind only Joe Staley, Nate Solder and Ryan Ramczyk.

Here's what PFF wrote about Dion Dawkins. I wouldn't over react to one pre-season game.