Marrone wants “Zero Turnovers” from Blake Bortles this year

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Blake Bortles is one hell of a bad QB, but he was still good enough to win his duel with Tyrod in a playoff game.

Perspective 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

I really dislike everything about the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The only team In all professional sports, that I know of, that tarps seats to “sell out”.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

People in hell want ice water, Doug.

but seriously - he had this same philosophy with EJ and I thought it made him way too tentative and scared. I think it’s also what led to the Jags getting so conservative at the end of the AFC Championship Game, not trusting Bortles to throw. I mean he’s not a great passer but you have to at least try to take chances through the air. 

I think there is an ideal # of INTs and it’s not zero. Fournette is going to see  a lot of stacked boxes - 1st down handoffs in shotgun all day.

I think it's just media posturing by "St Doug".  Didn't he say last year something to the effect that it would be OK with him if they ran on every snap and Bortles had 0 yards every game?  Bortles passed for less yards than he'd had since his rookie season and was overall, a far more effective QB last year with <1 INT per game for the first time ever

Of course taking Marrone at face value, it's an interesting question.  As a metric, I look at the ratio of TD to INT thrown by a QB.  This can be too low.  Bortles current ratio of 1.4 is too low.  Other notable QB who rock a 1.5-1.6 ratio like Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Joe Flacco, Jameis Winston, and Ryan Tannehill tend to have people questioning their overall effectiveness as QB for other reasons. 

On the other hand, I don't know if you'll be able to define an upper bound.  Aaron Rodgers rocks a TD/INT ratio of 4.0 with ~0.5 INT per start on average.  Brady is right behind him with a TD/INT ratio of 3.0 and ~0.6 INT per start on average.  I don't think anyone would regard either of them as an ineffective QBs who play scared.  

Most of the QB we'd generally regard as "franchise" (P. Manning, Brees, Stafford, Rivers, Ryan, Luck) run between 1.8 - 2.4, with an absolute number of <1 INT per game (but often close) through their careers.  The salient point to your question is, for none of them is it zero, nor did they ever have a year where it was zero.

Anyway, to your point, I don't think you can define an ideal TD/INT ratio, but Marrone is clearly off his rocker suggesting 0 as a goal or suggesting that -5 INT is of more value than +15 TD.

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

2. Bortles is barely a starting NFL QB. The rumors were flying before last season about his short leash. Even though the team was decent, Bortles was mediocre. I would not be shocked to see Bortles go down the path of journeyman soon...

Dude, he just signed a 3 year, $54M contract with the Jags, $26.5M guaranteed.  That's a lot of chump change for a guy on a short leash.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eanyills said:

2. Bortles is barely a starting NFL QB. The rumors were flying before last season about his short leash. Even though the team was decent, Bortles was mediocre. I would not be shocked to see Bortles go down the path of journeyman soon...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, he just signed a 3 year, $54M contract with the Jags, $26.5M guaranteed.  That's a lot of chump change for a guy on a short leash.

Exactly Hap.

Removing his rookie season he has over 3 seasons:

59% comp

12,000 yards

79 TD : 47 int

5 fourth quarter comebacks

his sacks have gone down from 51 -> 34 -> 24

He's not terrible, and has shown improvement as the seasons have gone on

Is he Aaron rodgers? no way.

Is he "barely a starting NFL QB"? that's quite absurd.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For sure that is a lot of ducats for a qb who is on a short leash. But the leash isn't mostly about being replaced as it is what he is going to allow the qb to do on the field. Marrone has a history of preferring an old school offensive approach that accentuates field position and limiting turnovers. His teams always seem to play hard for win as demonstrated  in Buffalo and Jacksonville. From a temperament standpoint the irritable coach prefers a low glitz meat and potato offense that stresses the running game. 

Doug Marrone is not a likable chap. But he did a good job in Buffalo and he nearly got the Jaguars into the SB last year. Maybe if he would have loosened up on offense against New England and not be so cautious at the end of the game his team would have been in the SB?

3 hours ago, eanyills said:

1) Yes, I do. And it’s shown in the playcalling and flexibility that other QB’s are given to call their own plays on the field. Brady, Roelisberger, Rodgers, etc., Nobody is telling those guys not to take chances for fear of throwing an INT. Nobody wants to throw a pick but nobody is telling those QB’s to reel it in and play conservative. On the other hand, you ever watch a Jags game? Bortles doesn’t get the same leeway to call his own shots. You rarely see deep shots. Marrone, Hackett, and Bortles are on another level of conservative than other NFL coaching staffs (which are usually pretty conservative).

Those QBs dont have their coaches telling them that because they are the top QBs in the league and rarely make stupid decisions on the field.

The Jags know what they have at QB and run their offence accordingly. They dont take the chances cause they know they dont have a guy who is going to make the throw without worry. The top QBs have coaches that can call those plays because they know their guy can make the throw 9 times out of 10.

• 1 month later...

Bortles on a 'short leash' but keeps starting gig

Jaguars sticking with Blake Bortles as starter despite benching

Coach Doug Marrone announced Monday evening that Bortles would remain the team's starter for Sunday's game against Philadelphia in London, though a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that backup Cody Kessler will see some first-team reps in practice and Bortles will be on "a short leash" against the Eagles.

"I spoke to both quarterbacks this afternoon and told them that Blake will be our team's starting quarterback," Marrone said in a statement. "I believe this gives us the best opportunity to win."

I thought this was relevant