Marrone wants “Zero Turnovers” from Blake Bortles this year

YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is exactly how Marrone coached here. Knowing how much he values that type of play odd that the Jags were not in on Tyrod. 

I was just coming here to say the same thing. The Jags know that Bortles mistakes are one of the only things that could hold them back. I’m surprised that they didn’t take that off the table with Tyrod. I guess it’s possible next year. I don’t see Bortles there long-term. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was just coming here to say the same thing. The Jags know that Bortles mistakes are one of the only things that could hold them back. I’m surprised that they didn’t take that off the table with Tyrod. I guess it’s possible next year. I don’t see Bortles there long-term. 

Can they get out of Bortles' deal after this year?

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And that maybe why you’re not a head coach. ?  

Yes I’m sure that’s what has been holding me back all these years, dammit! Lol

but seriously, that approach can work to a point, but it can only get you so far. Sooner or later, you are going to play a team that can score regardless of how good your D is (I.e. NE) and you have to be able to move the ball through the air and on the ground to win. Hiding your QB and leaning only on the run game isn’t going to get it done vs the better offenses and defenses. Jalen Hurts has won a ton of games at Bama that way but even Lil Nicky knew that he had to put his gunslinger in the game and throw the rock around when his normally lock down D couldn’t stop UGA’s offense and UGA’s D was able to make them one-dimensional. I’m sure it makes him cringe seing Tua “get lucky” on some throws that could have gone the other way, but the rewards of the passing attack can outweigh that. Like I said, it can work at times but very rarely do you see the 2000 Ravens, for example. Eventually you need to take chances through the air 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Doug Marrone this week: "My goal for Blake Bortles is zero turnovers."

Doug Marrone next week after a Blake Bortles interception:  "My goal for Blake Bortles is no more than 1 turnover this season."

Doug Marrone in 2 weeks. . .

When asked if he'd trade 15 additional touchdown passes from Bortles if that meant five more INTs than last season, the coach responded, "No."  

"Because I know the turnovers will lead to wins and losses more than the touchdowns," Marrone said.

Now I fully understand why we're starting Peterman! ?

BTW Doug, we'll take the TD's over the turnovers every time...

Man people overreact to things around here. If I was the coach, I would say the same thing too, and I would hope that my QB goes into the season with the same mentality that he doesnt want to throw any interceptions this year. You think BB goes out and sits Tom down and tells him it's ok to throw an INT because it means he was trying to make something? And if the QB is going to wilt under a comment like that with pressure then he is not a starting QB in the NFL.

I doubt Marrone will bench or cut Bortles if he throws an INT, he just doesnt want him turning the ball over cause that leads to wins for the other team.

This 'jilted lover' syndrome between Bill's fans and Marrone is over the top. He was dispised by fans while he was here, and then when he gave them what they wanted and left, fans went nuts because he quit, many I assume just disappointed cause they didnt get to watch ownership do their best imitation of Vince McMahon and fire him in public.