Why Does Brandon Beane Call Nate Peterman “Steady Eddie?”

BuffaloRush

38 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Winner, Winner!  Exactly the type of personality you want want in a hockey goaltender, baseball pitcher, and of course - your QB.  The teams feeds off those positions.

Opposite example - Cam Newton & Jay Cutler.

Steady Eddie is a compliment in this case. 

Cam Newton lol. Yes the Packers hated when Brett was happy. Cam never did anything great in his career. Cam and Jay are opposite personalities. Literally every quarterback right now is between their spectrum of personality.

39 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Winner, Winner!  Exactly the type of personality you want want in a hockey goaltender, baseball pitcher, and of course - your QB.  The teams feeds off those positions.

Opposite example - Cam Newton & Jay Cutler.

Steady Eddie is a compliment in this case. 

Well, that may be the meaning of the phrase, but I'm not sure it fits Peterman.  Most reasonable people can be "Steady Eddies" or emotionally even keel if there's no pressure on them.   Peterman's done that in preseason and in practice both last season and this one, too.  However, he melted down -- panicked -- in the face of LA's pass rushers, so I'm not going to accept that he's "steady", "even keel", "reliable" until I see him play that way when he's under pressure.

I swear if Beane uses “Steady Eddie” again, I am going to make an audio montage.  It seems like he can’t do an interview without using that...it’s the wrong word to use BTW

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

I think it means that he doesn't slip on rubber mats. This is something GMs look for in a starting QB ?

Or throw footballs in the hospitality tent

52 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Well, that may be the meaning of the phrase, but I'm not sure it fits Peterman.  Most reasonable people can be "Steady Eddies" or emotionally even keel if there's no pressure on them.   Peterman's done that in preseason and in practice both last season and this one, too.  However, he melted down -- panicked -- in the face of LA's pass rushers, so I'm not going to accept that he's "steady", "even keel", "reliable" until I see him play that way when he's under pressure.

I agree, it may not fit him. Maybe it’s from all the talk we hear that after the 5 pick game, a common man would have broke down, sent out a text that he’s retiring, thrown barbells at a fellow gym member, etc, but no, Peterman dug down deep and won the starting job. He didn’t get too low on himself. 

Who knows what Beane is thinking.  Maybe he just likes the way it rhymes.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Ok finally the first explaination that actually makes sense.  He doesn’t mean conservative just that his emotions are steady.  I think Beane is using “Steady Eddie” incorrectly.  He means to say “even keel.”  Not the same meaning

So actually he should have said “Even Steven”?

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’ve listened to Brandon Beane’s past media appearances.  Whenever he talks up Nate Peterman, he always says “he’s Steady Eddie.”

What the hell does “Steady Eddie” even mean?  Is that like calling someone “Charlie Hustle?”  I’ve never once hear anyone call someone a Steady Eddie, so I don’t know what that means.

Eddie is a name that rhymes with Steady. He thinks Peternan is steady.   

1. stead·y
    ˈstedē/
    adjective
    1. 1. 
      firmly fixed, supported, or balanced; not shaking or moving.
      synonyms: stablefirmfixedsecurefastsafeimmovableunshakabledependableMore

2. 2. 
      regular, even, and continuous in development, frequency, or intensity.
      synonyms: constantunchangingregularconsistentinvariableMore

verb
    1. 1. 
      make or become steady.
      synonyms: stabilize, hold steady; 
      bracesupport
      balancepoise
      securefix, make fast
      "he steadied the rifle"
      calmsoothequietcomposesettle;
      subduequellcontrol, get a grip on
      "she needed to steady her nerves"

Edited by Bob in STL

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’ve listened to Brandon Beane’s past media appearances.  Whenever he talks up Nate Peterman, he always says “he’s Steady Eddie.”

What the hell does “Steady Eddie” even mean?  Is that like calling someone “Charlie Hustle?”  I’ve never once hear anyone call someone a Steady Eddie, so I don’t know what that means.

Is this a serious question... I can’t tell with this board anymore. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Um yeah.... everyone that’s called Charlie Hustle is named Charlie

The only person I ever heard called Charlie Hustle is Pete Rose.

The best way to describe Steady Eddie is he's a guy a father wants his daughter to date but who she finds too boring to want anything to do with.