Why Does Brandon Beane Call Nate Peterman “Steady Eddie?”

BuffaloRush

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For a guy whose draft Scouting Report called him out for " Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws." and who threw at least 4 INTs last season where this was a factor, "overly careful or cautious" could be a Good Thing

Right that’s why i was surprised to hear him called “Steady Eddie.”  His throws in San Diego were anything but cautious.  Didn’t he have the nickname Nathan Farve?

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's an old idiom or cliche. You can find it in the urban dictionary. It's a very old saying. Was around when I was a boy and that was a while. Means you can count on a person for consistency.

5 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

I guess I think Beane used the wrong phrase. He didn’t mean Steady Eddie.  He meant more of a “grinder.”

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Emotionally imo.  Doesn’t get too high or too low.  He is who he is 100a% of the time

Ok finally the first explaination that actually makes sense.  He doesn’t mean conservative just that his emotions are steady.  I think Beane is using “Steady Eddie” incorrectly.  He means to say “even keel.”  Not the same meaning

Edited by BuffaloRush

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Emotionally imo.  Doesn’t get too high or too low.  He is who he is 100a% of the time

Winner, Winner!  Exactly the type of personality you want want in a hockey goaltender, baseball pitcher, and of course - your QB.  The teams feeds off those positions.

Opposite example - Cam Newton & Jay Cutler.

Steady Eddie is a compliment in this case. 

2 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Winner, Winner!  Exactly the type of personality you want want in a hockey goaltender, baseball pitcher, and of course - your QB.  The teams feeds off those positions.

Opposite example - Cam Newton & Jay Cutler.

Steady Eddie is a compliment in this case. 

Right...while I do agree that this is what Beane meant, “Steady Eddie” was the wrong term.  He should have said “even-keeled”

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Well, in the LA/SD game, straight into the hands of the defensive unit.  ?

OK, Straight Nate promised not to let it happen again.

Isn't that what they all say?? "It was just a phase.  It will never happen again. I've found religion now!"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's an old idiom or cliche. You can find it in the urban dictionary. It's a very old saying. Was around when I was a boy and that was a while. Means you can count on a person for consistency.

It's been around since before Steady Eddie Murray, who was a terrific player by the way. Very consistent. And a Hall of Famer.

EDIT: Here's a 1962 vintage "Steady Eddie" balancing game. Murray's rookie year was 1977. And Milton Bradley didn't make up the name, they just used it. It's been around a long time.

https://www.amazon.com/Steady-Eddie-Balancing-Original-Version/dp/B00B5TOHBS

And Hockey Hall of Famer Ed Giacomin was another Steady Eddie. Mel Allen used to call Yankee pitcher Ed Lopat (1944 - 1955, 166 - 112, career ERA 3.21) Steady Eddie. Again, it's a really old phrase.

Crap!  Sometimes you get old and don't realize it.  I'm very familiar with the expression "Steady Eddie" and have used it a few times myself.   I didn't realize it's fallen out of use.

Nice explanation, Thurman.  I like the sports examples you used to illustrate the meaning.  

When Beane calls Peterman "Steady Eddie," I assume he means Peterman comes in and works hard at his job every day without a lot of surprises or emotional roller coastering.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

I believe the origin of this nickname comes from Beane's family history of sailing ships.  "Steady as she goes" was the oft heard phrase on journeys across the sea to whoever was steering the ship.  Peterman in a way is steering the metaphorical ship of the Bill's offense.  The "Eddie" part is just to make it rhyme.

Hope this helps OP.

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For a guy whose draft Scouting Report called him out for " Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws." and who threw at least 4 INTs last season where this was a factor, "overly careful or cautious" could be a Good Thing

Careful Peterman is good Peterman

• Thank you (+1) 1