Gailey versus Daboll

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh please,  don't get him started.  

Let's wait and see if I am correct, eh? I don't think Nathan Peterman is any good. I didn't think he was any good coming out, he has been bad in the league and one drive against Carolina's vanilla cover 2 in pre-season game 1 isn't changing my mind. 

• Haha (+1) 1

As others have said, I'm sure they'll go with a lot of short drops and quick throws, especially the types of throws where the receivers have room to run after the catch. McDermott mentioned the importance of that last week. Also rolled that into a compliment for Nate about his ball placement. He typically does lead his receivers and puts it in a spot that will allow them to catch it in stride and keep trucking. I hate to bring up the horror that was last seasons Chargers game but before the debacle, Nate made a great throw to Benjamin over the middle and he picked up 20 yards but got injured on the tackle. It was the first time since Taylor had been the starter that I'd seen a pass on time like that. Timing, rhythm, Peterman's not bad at those type of throws. The plays better go as scripted though, as he is pretty ineffective when the play breaks down. But yeah, I'd expect them to play a style of offense that negates the pass rush. 

• Like (+1) 5

55 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

We were scoring more points with Lynn and Roman just over a season ago.  All either Gailey, Roman, or Lynn's teams needed was a defense that could hold teams below 22 ppg.  The one thing also to remember is how many games Fitz killed us with a pick in the 4th qtr.  As much as everyone lauds the passing game I'd love nothing more than to see Daboll come out and run it down peoples throats like were doing just a couple years ago.

The problem is, you won't be able to do that with what we have under center, unless he comes out and lights it up. Hard to run the ball effectively when the defense knows we can't throw it.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ditzy Fitzy has proven he can play in this league and has a significantly stronger arm than Nate. Not a strong one mind you, but he can get the ball down the field if he winds up. He's proven that. 

Fitzpatrick was know to have a weak arm. I don't think his arm is stronger than Peterman's. Also, Fitzy wasn't the most accurate of QBs. I preferred Fitzy over Tyrod because he at least attempted difficult throws when they were needed. I'd rather see an INT attempting a 20 yard throw on third and 19 with 1 minute left in the 4th Quarter than a 5 yard dumpoff.

• Like (+1) 1

What's everyone with thinking that Peterman has a weak arm... He doesn't Chad Pennington had a weak arm. Nate is no where close to that.  If I had to rank his arm I'd place him between Dalton and Cousins. Not as strong as Cousins but better than Daltons. Peterman has a mediocre arm for sure but it isn't weak.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Let's wait and see if I am correct, eh? I don't think Nathan Peterman is any good. I didn't think he was any good coming out, he has been bad in the league and one drive against Carolina's vanilla cover 2 in pre-season game 1 isn't changing my mind. 

I was just having a little fun.  

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

What's everyone with thinking that Peterman has a weak arm... He doesn't Chad Pennington had a weak arm. Nate is no where close to that.  If I had to rank his arm I'd place him between Dalton and Cousins. Not as strong as Cousins but better than Daltons. Peterman has a mediocre arm for sure but it isn't weak.

Name one pass he has ever gunned or proves he has an arm anywhere near Dalton. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I thought his grandmother played lacrosse at Yale. 

He wasn’t the custodian at Brown? I thought he studied the formulas from afar and became a sort of prodigy.. like rainman or something 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Name one pass he has ever gunned or proves he has an arm anywhere near Dalton. 

Petermans scouting report is riddled with weak or average arm strength 

Dalton’s talks about his good arm strength lol

• Like (+1) 1

My fear is that this is a 14 point per game offensive roster.  The OL worries me greatly and we don't really know yet what to expect from the QB position. 

On the other hand, one of my hopes is that some of the offensive players prove to be better than I think they are.

My other big hope is that Daboll - like Gailey - can manufacture production despite not fielding a lot of superstars with a lot of quick-hitting timing throws and good run game concepts.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

It’s as bad as you get for a NFL starting QB

Edited by billsfan11

Sometimes he makes throws that look just fine, and then there are the other times where it takes too many Mississippi’s to arrive. 

Peterman aside, yes I certainly hope Daboll can manufacture some points with scheme and play calling. Preseason is all about not showing your cards and evaluating what you’ve got. 

• Like (+1) 2