Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

On 9/2/2018 at 7:31 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

If we can’t judge him yet this season we certainly can’t blame him for all the dead cap space since he was hired after the draft last season (when a lot of FA deals were already made)

52% of the dead cap dollars were Whaley contracts, 48% of it was Beane contracts.   That is too much too soon.   Compare Beane to SF and other teams that have 2nd year GMs.   None have 53 million in dead cap or a lower payroll.   

Also did any team spend 50 million in free agency this past year?  Ever? You can't do it so having it is not an asset.  Money needs to be on the field. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

I think McD used a combination of Whaley's board and intel from Beane about the Panthers board to do the drafting..........but after seeing Brandon Beane's 180 degree different type of choices in FA I think the DNA of the high quality Hyde/Poyer additions was all Whaley.

Not too impressed so far by the work of McBeane's all-star cast of personnel evaluators that were purported to be huge upgrades over the guys that found Lorax and Zach Brown etc..

Raiding the Panthers depth chart requires some of the NFL's finest minds.  What are we going to do in 2-3 years when Carolina's roster turns over and McBeane no longer knows those guys?

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They know they aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. They got their hopeful franchise QB and MLB now to give them a year of experience before we are ready to seriously compete. I expect Edmunds to make rookie mistakes this season but that's fine, we can afford that right now. If Peterman doesn't improbably take the league by storm Allen will probably play in the back half of the season and get some on-field experience of his own. This season is about preparing for the future. Next year we have a full draft and $65 million in cap space to fix our holes.

a full 10 draft picks to go with that 65 mil.    Splashes can be made next year for linemen, a CB2, a linebacker or two and probably another edge rusher.   

The great thing is we don't have draft picks OR salary cap $$ we have a full complement of both. 

Had Beane not traded those (2) second rounders to move up to number 7 I believe that AZ who only gave up a # 3 and # 5 to the Raiders to move up three spots behind us at number 10 would have still taken Josh Rosen, meaning that Josh Allen still would have been there at the 12 spot and we would've kept those two second rounders to bolster our depleted OL.  

I sure hope Brendon Beane makes the most of all of our 2019 draft picks accumulated.

15 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

Had Beane not traded those (2) second rounders to move up to number 7 I believe that AZ who only gave up a # 3 and # 5 to the Raiders to move up three spots behind us at number 10 would have still taken Josh Rosen, meaning that Josh Allen still would have been there at the 12 spot and we would've kept those two second rounders to bolster our depleted OL.  

I sure hope Brendon Beane makes the most of all of our 2019 draft picks accumulated.

I dont think that is true. Right after the draft there were reports that AZ was trying to make a deal to move up for Allen but the Bills could offer more in trade. 

20 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont think that is true. Right after the draft there were reports that AZ was trying to make a deal to move up for Allen but the Bills could offer more in trade. 

I don't have an issue with the move for the QB other than how they put themselves in that position - it might not have been the pick I wanted, but it was what you have to do to get a QB in the draft, especially when you don't have a good one.  They put themselves in that pickle of being desperate when they shipped out their starter - deja vu 2013.

I just don't understand why they did that and didn't try to do a better job up front to protect that investment. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, Jpsredemption said:

Acquiring draft picks and then lighting them on fire. That goes for McD and Beane. They talk about draft capital and then go ahead and trade picks away.

The more cracks you get the better your odds are. These guys don't seem to understand that.

No, it's you who doesn't understand the modern NFL.  In today's game a GM trades UP for his QB, just look at the actions of multiple GMs, who know a lot more than you do.  Here's the reality of how teams acquire their QBs these days:

In the past 5 years there have been 14 QBs drafted in the 1st round. Of those 14 QBs only 4 were drafted by a team that didn't move up in the draft to take them. Those 4 were 2 #1 overall & a #2 & #3 where the teams had no intention of trading the pick. The other 10 were all acquired via a trade up. 6 years ago the Bills did the opposite & traded down to get their QB, we all know how that went.

So when the Bills traded up for Allen, they were finally joining the modern NFL where you do whatever is necessary to get the QB you want. We won't know for sure if this worked out, but I trust Beane a lot more to be a current GM than the antiquated ideas of Buddy Nix & his protégé, Doug Whaley. 

As a result of teams no longer waiting for a QB to fall to their spot in the draft, of the 32 teams, 24 have either a starter or soon to be starter who was a 1st rounder. To see how difficult it is to find your man in the later rounds of the draft, here's a look at the projected starters (this includes all teams that drafted a 1st round QB this year who they expect to be starting no later than next season).

Starters or soon to be starter.  I count Allen as a soon to be a starter.  

1st round :23
2nd round: 4
3rd round: 1
4th round: 2
6th round: 1

Undrafted 1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, plenzmd1 said:

9-7 last year, playoffs, two first-round selections in the top 16...10 picks next year and over $60M in space with your presumed franchise QB under cost control for the next 5 years. 

Seems pretty good to me so far

60 million in cap space and only one major contract the team can't cut (Star) the Bills could easily free up an additional 30-45 million in cap space with a variety of cuts. 

5 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I don't have an issue with the move for the QB other than how they put themselves in that position - it might not have been the pick I wanted, but it was what you have to do to get a QB in the draft, especially when you don't have a good one.  They put themselves in that pickle of being desperate when they shipped out their starter - deja vu 2013.

I just don't understand why they did that and didn't try to do a better job up front to protect that investment. 

You make good points.  But I get the Tyrod move - they wanted to add 2018 draft picks to give themselves maximum flexibility to move up for their QB.  They didn’t want to have to trade 2019 picks.  It’s rational.  I too wish they fortified the line but they didn’t expect Wood to have to retire and Richie to totally lose his marbles.  They got a bit jammed there.  My beef is dealing away all of the talent - as you said elsewhere, it’s pure hubris and a questionable way to protect your QB investment.  And I agree with you also that having a boatload of money to spend next year in free agency is a dangerous game - they could easily end up with a bunch of bloated contracts and middling veterans.

And I’ll add - Beane has shown ZERO ability to identify and sign quality free agents - literally has nothing to show for his pro personnel efforts.  Not a single player.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ayjent said:

This situation was nothing like 2013 where we needed a QB because we had spent years passing up opportunities to get one. This year they knew they would be drafting a QB.  The team figured Tyrod was worth more as a 3rd round pick than as a place holder.  

On 9/4/2018 at 7:55 AM, oldmanfan said:

He has focused on getting the two most important positions on the team:  QB and MLB.  Both these kids have the potential to be long time fixtures on the Bills.  Time will tell.

Otherwise, I think we now have a combination of HC and GM that are in synch, and that have a firm idea of how they intend to build a team that will be consistently good.  To do that, they have moved out some guys with large salaries they felt would not fit the idea they have for a team.  Some I agree with (such as Dareus), others I didn't (such as Watkins).  Beane and McD have hit on some FAs and missed on others, similar to what most GMs do.

The area I would criticize is that he has not focused more attention up front.  It was not his fault of course that Wood came up with a career ending injury, or that Richie went off the rails (although one could kind of see that coming).  But as one who has always felt you win football games up front, I am disappointed more effort has not been used to build the O line especially, and the D line (at DE specifically). 

I think you have to give Beane and McD a number of years to actually let their plan work or not work.  To me the constant turnover in team management since 2000 has been responsible for the long period of failure.  Let them get the players they feel they need to work their plan, and then see if their plan works.  GIve them 5 years at least.

Can you point to a single example in the last 30 years of a coaching staff that didn't succeed during the first 4 years who went on to steady success beginning in year 5. Real question.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

This situation was nothing like 2013 where we needed a QB because we had spent years passing up opportunities to get one. This year they knew they would be drafting a QB.  The team figured Tyrod was worth more as a 3rd round pick than as a place holder.  

Capable, but flawed starter jettisoned and replaced with a 1st round pick and questionable group of QBs.  That’s the parallel - it’s pretty simple and it’s a dicey way to go.  The dead cap money and contract situation for Tyrod wasn’t a bad deal and a 3rd rounder is hardly worth throwing your team into possibly the ugliest QB depth chart in the NFL. 

Look Beane hasn’t proven anything yet, but the total gutting of the team sure shows he has a ton of confidence in himself to remake this team.  It’s really risky and it may hurt these team for a long time if he botches it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Can you point to a single example in the last 30 years of a coaching staff that didn't succeed during the first 4 years who went on to steady success beginning in year 5. Real question.  

Given that they made the playoffs in their first year I don't get your point.  But to answer your question Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Levy.

11 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Capable, but flawed starter jettisoned and replaced with a 1st round pick and questionable group of QBs.  That’s the parallel - it’s pretty simple and it’s a dicey way to go.  The dead cap money and contract situation for Tyrod wasn’t a bad deal and a 3rd rounder is hardly worth throwing your team into possibly the ugliest QB depth chart in the NFL. 

Look Beane hasn’t proven anything yet, but the total gutting of the team sure shows he has a ton of confidence in himself to remake this team.  It’s really risky and it may hurt these team for a long time if he botches it. 

The problem with both those capable starters is that neither of them was/is good enough to make people forget about the rookie on the bench. Tyrod and his 31st ranked passing attack would not have been accepted by the fans.  This can lead to a less than optimal environment for your young QB to develop in, he won't outplay the vet but the fans will demand he play anyway. For better or worse the Bills are thinking of future wins, perhaps at the expense of wins now. They also got Edmunds out of the deal which has it's own value to the team. 

7 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Tyrod and his 31st ranked passing attack would not have been accepted by the fans.  

I remember hearing this about Fitz when he was jettisoned for no reason - he too would've been a good veteran insurance policy at the QB position.

I doubt it's the fans' fault that the FO can't get its act together to formulate sound strategic plans.  More likely they're just incompetent.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I remember hearing this about Fitz when he was jettisoned for no reason - he too would've been a good veteran insurance policy at the QB position.

I doubt it's the fans' fault that the FO can't get its act together to formulate sound strategic plans.  More likely they're just incompetent.

They Brought in Kolb to replace fitz as a veteran and AJ to replace Tyrod. Those 2 didn't work out for different reasons.  Do you think a QB controversy creates a good or nutral environment to develop a rookie? I don't.

4 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

They Brought in Kolb to replace fitz as a veteran and AJ to replace Tyrod. Those 2 didn't work out for different reasons.  Do you think a QB controversy creates a good or nutral environment to develop a rookie? I don't.

Keeping Tyrod wouldn't have created a serious QB controversy anymore than it is in Cleveland.