Judging Beane’s decisions so far

simpleman

Bills Mobile: Bills Today: Bills hold stockpile of 2019 draft picks https://www.buffalobills.com/_mobileview/news/bills-today-bills-hold-stockpile-of-2019-draft-picks

Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have made it a point in their first year and a half to acquire and stockpile draft picks as a means to acquire young and affordable NFL talent.

The Bills have 10 draft picks slated for the 2019 draft, and the team kept all but one of their 2018 draft picks on the final roster following cut day on Saturday. The only member of the 2018 class who did not make the cut was seventh-round wide receiver Austin Proehl. For the 2019 NFL draft, the Bills still own the rights to their own picks in rounds one through seven, and they currently hold three additional picks.

19 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

"Murf" hasn't even played, or did I miss it? Ray Ray looks like a good gadget player and probably a nice 4th or 5th receiver, but you think he'll have the impact White or Hyde and Poyer displayed last year?

They want to give it to McDermott out of Whaley hate, but if it's McDermott he should have the same success. I don't see any player signed as good as Poyer and Hyde or any drafted as good as White. Maybe Allen becomes a star. Maybe Edmunds becomes a star. Maybe they don't. But the don't look like White at the beginning of 2017.

Whaleys scouting team was still in place when McD was making picks. Whaleys fault was less the players he found, but the horrid extensions he gave them. Man had trouble with self discipline. as did Russ brandon lol.

This is Beane's first season of judgement to be reviewed again after next years draft and FA. even then i would remain patient.

McD wanted a QB for His defense long term. he got it. he got his secondary by luck or effort or both last season and i feel they have solid up and coming depth now.

Some good things , and some less good things under the new regime.

Definitely going to stay tuned in !!

12 hours ago, Figster said:

Building through the draft and focusing as much on intelligence and high character as you would talent appears to be the approach McD/Beane are taking. Addition through subtraction in some instances.

seems to be the case. good post Figster. and the last sentence is fair indeed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That is absolutely what I think as well.....we are biulding the team and mixing in some key free agents with salary cap space...you biuld long term success through the draft.

They All say that. Build through the draft. But few have the patience anymore.
take note of the cap space next season. and you do have to spend it.

hope they improve the percentages of success in FA. not thrilled right now.

Davis Murphy Star..

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I think there's a distinct possibility Shady hits a wall this year, and Murf takes over never to look back.

Shady's carriage is about to turn into a pumpkin.

no it isn't.
 hopefully M.Murphy will develop his game under Shady and the Bills. Then earn his way to becoming lead back.

oh and i forgot Ivory ? how could that  have happened ?

Edited by 3rdand12

13 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This fanbase sucks. 

thank you. we do what we can...
you know this means you as well ?
unless you are not a part of the Bills fanbase any longer 

: )

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

His preseason was pretty forgettable.

yes, he is another one of Beanes FA acquirements I was trying to list
 I have hope he can grind some yards and TDs out.. But M Murphy might be the better #2 by midseason

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

They All say that. Build through the draft. But few have the patience anymore.
take note of the cap space next season. and you do have to spend it.

hope they improve the percentages of success in FA. not thrilled right now.

Davis Murphy Star..

no it isn't.
 hopefully M.Murphy will develop his game under Shady and the Bills. Then earn his way to becoming lead back.

oh and i forgot Ivory ? how could that  have happened ?

Good points but I would like to add a couple of things.

1.  Spending Cap $'s in 2019.  I think Beane is patient and conservative.  It would not surprise me to see him save 20+ million

for the 2020 FA season. 

2.  2018 FA signing.  Agree with the Star Murphy points but I think Davis was nothing but a plug for this year.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:04 PM, joesixpack said:

Yep. Used to think they're the best, not so much anymore.

Right? I mean, I'm all for constructive criticism on the regime and the organization but it feels like way too many people aren't putting this sh*t in perspective.

First thing, there is no winning with Bills fans. OK, some fans, not all. No matter what the team does, there will always be people who wanna whine about stuff. 

This organization has a mess of a cap thanks to lopsided deals given by Doug Whaley. He re-signed Glenn, Hughes and Dareus when those guys were playing at a high level. He did well in pleasing the player side of contract negotiations but neglected to draw up these contracts with an out for the team. Furthermore, had he not thrown down big money for those three players, the same crowd that's whining now would've been whining back then, all "There they go again, letting their best players walk for nothin'!"

Whaley had a good eye for talent. However, he did not have a solid team-building philosophy. He took players from big time programs that always win and assumed that type of winning culture would spill over into their locker room. His contracts weren't great even though he held onto their top talent. Either way, lose-lose according to the fans. 

So what do these fans do? Piss and moan relentlessly for the organization to "tear it all down, clean house, clean house NNNOoooOOOOoooWWawwWWWww! SccRrrRRRreeEeeeeEEEE!"

What does the organization do? They hire McBeane who proceeds to come in and do exactly that. Cleaned house of crappy contracts, cleaned house of players that weren't buying in, collected enough assets in the process to position themselves to take the kid they believe is their franchise quarterback, all while ending a 17-year playoff drought. At the end of last season, you couldn't find a drop of process in WNY because it'd been gobbled up by this fanbase. 

And now a few days from the 2018 season kicking off, some people don't like a few decisions and now they're barfing up the process all over the place. "We don't like this kind of process, give us a different one, wahhh!!" 

In the immortal words of Cousin Eddie: You serious, Clark?

For real, GTFO of here if you can't suck it up and take a few lumps and let these guys do their frickin jobs. For the first time in a loooonnngggg time this organization has stability from the top down. Running the show are two extremely well respected individuals who have work ethics that are off the friggin charts. You want lazy Rex back in here? How 'bout old Buddy "I need mah sleeps!" Nix? 

McBeane have been parts of winning organizations as well as losing ones. I'mma go out on a limb here and say they have a better idea at how to build a SUSTAINABLE winning team. Key word: sustainable. It was great to hit the playoffs last year. Massive monkey off their backs right off the bat, how you gonna find a way to B word about that? But again, sustainability has been something they've preached since day one. In order to get that sustainability you gotta go thru a season, maybe two where you're taking your lumps while sorting out the puzzle. This season is about development and it's about them recognizing which guys are gonna be the core, the foundation for this team in the future. 

I ain't saying everyone needs to be on board with everything McBeane does 100%. I'm not a fan of every move they've made but I understand what they're trying to achieve and during the entire drought, I rarely if ever had a decent understanding of what the team was trying to do likely because of the lack of cohesion at the top. 

Can't fix everything in one year. And guess what? No team is 100% "fixed." No matter the record, there's always room for improvement. 

The McBeane Show has been in town for all of about 20 months and some of you are like, "Pff, they don't have 17 Lombardi Trophy's yet so they can get lost!" Please.

If you can't trust the process at least respect it and let these cats do their thing. Yeesh. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Right? I mean, I'm all for constructive criticism on the regime and the organization but it feels like way too many people aren't putting this sh*t in perspective.

First thing, there is no winning with Bills fans. OK, some fans, not all. No matter what the team does, there will always be people who wanna whine about stuff. 

This organization has a mess of a cap thanks to lopsided deals given by Doug Whaley. He re-signed Glenn, Hughes and Dareus when those guys were playing at a high level. He did well in pleasing the player side of contract negotiations but neglected to draw up these contracts with an out for the team. Furthermore, had he not thrown down big money for those three players, the same crowd that's whining now would've been whining back then, all "There they go again, letting their best players walk for nothin'!"

Whaley had a good eye for talent. However, he did not have a solid team-building philosophy. He took players from big time programs that always win and assumed that type of winning culture would spill over into their locker room. His contracts weren't great even though he held onto their top talent. Either way, lose-lose according to the fans. 

So what do these fans do? Piss and moan relentlessly for the organization to."tear it all down, clean house, clean house NNNOoooOOOOoooWWawwWWWww! SccRrrRRRreeEeeeeEEEE!"

What does the organization do? They hire McBeane who proceeds to come in and do exactly that. Cleaned house of crappy contracts, cleaned house of players that weren't buying in, collected enough assets in the process to position themselves to take the kid they believe is their franchise quarterback, all while ending a 17-year playoff drought. At the end of last season, you couldn't find a drop of process in WNY because it'd been gobbled up by this fanbase. 

And now a few days from the 2018 season kicking off, some people don't like a few decisions and now they're barfing up the process all over the place. "We don't like this kind of process, give us a different one, wahhh!!" 

For real, GTFO of here if you can't suck it up and take a few lumps and let these guys do their frickin jobs. For the first time in a loooonnngggg time this organization has stability from the top down. Running the show are two extremely well respected individuals who have work ethics that are off the friggin charts. You want lazy Rex back in here? How 'bout old Buddy "I need mah sleeps!" Nix? 

McBeane have been parts of winning organizations as well as losing ones. I'mma go out on a limb here and say they have a better idea at how to build a SUSTAINABLE winning team. Key word: sustainable. It was great to hit the playoffs last year. Massive monkey off their backs right off the bat, how you gonna find a way to B word about that? But again, sustainability has been something they've preached since day one. In order to get that sustainability you gotta go thru a season, maybe two where you're taking your lumps while sorting out the puzzle. This season is about development and it's about them recognizing which guys are gonna be the core, the foundation for this team in the future. 

I ain't saying everyone needs to be on board with everything McBeane does 100%. I'm not a fan of every move they've made but I understand what they're trying to achieve and during the entire drought, I rarely if ever had a decent understanding of what the team was trying to do likely because of the lack of cohesion at the top. 

Can't fix everything in one year. And guess what? No team is 100% "fixed." No matter the record, there's always room for improvement. 

The McBeane Show has been in town for all of about 20 months and some of you are like, "Pff, they don't have 17 Lombardi Trophy's yet so they can get lost!" Please.

If you can't trust the process at least respect it and let these cats do their thing. Yeesh. 

All I can do is applaud this.

clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

Edited by joesixpack
  • Like (+1) 1

...FIRST draft and second off season completed.....inherited a Butler like cap mess and accelerated it by getting rid of the megabucks parasites......bitter pill but necessary...despite the tough decision, 2017 was competitive enough to break the schneid...lucky breaks to the back door?...or course.......back door breaks have been available but failed....FRONT DOOR breaks available as in 2004 Moo's club vs Steelers 3rd string but FAILED....so now the urinalists shockingly grade the Bflo draft as "A", much to the despise of the TBD pundits.....and 2019 is lookin' like 10 picks and $65-$80 mil in FA dollars......so all in all, the guy has NOT done jack.......we'd be farther ahead bringing back the "F Troop" post Polian to lead us to the promised land ala Snoozin' Buddy, Whaley (did do some good), "Tail Chaser Russ Brandon, and Marv with his new polyglass re-tireds.....misfits, unqualifieds, over the hill mumblin' stumblin' grumblin' bumblin' like no ever....and McBeane/McD suck?.....good Lord...ignorance is bliss and the "I told you so" bright lights are happy happy....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Whaleys scouting team was still in place when McD was making picks. Whaleys fault was less the players he found, but the horrid extensions he gave them. Man had trouble with self discipline. as did Russ brandon lol.

This is Beane's first season of judgement to be reviewed again after next years draft and FA. even then i would remain patient.

McD wanted a QB for His defense long term. he got it. he got his secondary by luck or effort or both last season and i feel they have solid up and coming depth now.

Some good things , and some less good things under the new regime.

Definitely going to stay tuned in !!

If McDermott was making the picks he should continue to have the same success. This year he's drafted a bunch of projects. It actually looks more like a Modrak draft than a Colbert draft.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Yep. Used to think they're the best, not so much anymore.

I can't believe anyone would be idiotic and childish enough to rate one fanbase over the other.

They're all the same. I've never liked it when someone says best fans or bad fans. It's just moronic. When teams have followings as large as NFL teams they tend to reflect the population pretty well. They're all the same.

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

So what do these fans do? Piss and moan relentlessly for the organization to."tear it all down, clean house, clean house NNNOoooOOOOoooWWawwWWWww! SccRrrRRRreeEeeeeEEEE!"

It would be less whining if they looked like they were actually doing any of what you state here. They seem disjointed from my perspective. They sign FAs who look lost or over their prime, at least in the preseason and on top of that they draft projections who could be stars or out of the league in 4 years. I believe we get to judge draft picks and signing of free agents real time? Or do we have to wait for some timeline in your head? When is it? 3 years? 5? Listen I love McDermott, have said it many times but I also said many times and believe Beane is a contract guy and not a scout. He's GM because McDermott wants him to be GM and not because he's earned it.

Edited by CuddyDark

On 9/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, joesixpack said:

Like I said...people here are like squirrels. 

All you seem to be able to contribute to a conversation are opinions and insults. How about contributing legitimate provable facts, I know a daunting task for certain people. I listed facts, and they spoke for themselves to people who have an ability to deal in reality, rather than pure faith and hope. And statements about who ran the draft in 2017 are not fact backed up by proof. Care to share statements from Pegula, Whaley or McDermott  to back up your unconfirmed assumptions? Or more crickets?