An 18-game season with 16-game player limits?

Rubes

There is already a problem with not enough talent to go around. 

If they want more total revenue, I’d propose 

- reduce commercial breaks to only natural stoppages 

- stagger start and finish times games so people can see more games on a given Sunday.

- kill Thursday night football

- reduce halftime shows for more commercials 

- advertise in window but keep game screen live inbetween plays (most TVs are big enough now) 

They need to make the product more like red zone if they want to grow. 

Not more games or players. Is any packers  fans fan into the 2 Hundley games? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Bye weeks don’t do anything for head injuries 

Agree, but implementing rules for safety to limit it will help. The only way to stop CTE is to stop playing the game. CTE would still be a problem if the season

was just 8 games. Extra bye weeks would help the bones, muscles & joints to heal more. CTE is a whole other can of worms.

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only people who think this is a good idea are scumbag plastic faced owners like Jerry Jones who would be fine with players dying on the field if they can make another dollar.  

This is as stupid as 4 preseason games. Owners just trying to bleed money from fans.

Amen Brotha!!!

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like the increase rosters.  But increasing games is just showing you don’t give a crap about CTE or the player’s long term health.  

Of course it is.  It’s plastic faced Jerry Jones’ idea.

Players don't care about it either.  Look at their history of resisting simple things like helmet changes and how they resisted PED testing (and still do for HGH), and, of course, how they still dish out intentional helmet to helmet blows every week. 

Anyway, most of them who will die with CTE already have it when they sign as rookies.

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It's a really fascinating idea. No doubt it would be unpopular from the perspective of the fan that physically goes to the games because they might not get to see their favorite player play. Would be really interesting from the team perspective...basically would give each individual player 2 or 3 bye weeks rather than 1 and then there would be the strategy of "Do we bench all our good players the same week and just hope our backups can pull it off so that we're at full strength for 16/18 games? Or do we bench some sporadically so that we're never at full strength but we're at pretty good strength all 18 games?

I don't really see this happening but it's a fascinating idea to consider.

How about this? Let's give each team at least two bye weeks, and not be greedy enough to expect full admission price for preseason games? That would be the smartest set of moves long-term

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Cowboys' Jones: 18-game season would be safer

safer for whom?  his pockets?

"Our studies show that we actually have a ramped-up injury situation with players during preseason as opposed to the injury factor in the regular season."

So if player safety is truly the main concern, then why not eliminate 2 preseason games and stick with the 16 game schedule?

Because none of this is about player safety, it's about money.

• Like (+1) 1

Not about player safety at all. The 18 game schedule is about making more money. Not for the players but for the owners. That comes from an extended schedule not necessarily extra games..... which is why we have a 17 week schedule with only 16 games.  Ultimately they want more weeks of games not necessarily more games.

Eliminate 2 PS games, add a bye week. One extra week of TV revenue and players get one less week of PS bs.

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Also, it seems like teams would probably sit their starters early in the year to avoid missing them for important games and then you have the same problem by January. 

Also, as far as the 18 game season goes, I think you can have the same affect by doing two by weeks. In fact, you could even go crazy and do an entire league by week. Have normal by weeks, but then on the 9th or tenth week nobody plays. That would be crazy!

That might extend the season too much and with no revenue on that bye week.. 

Right now NFL has 16 game reg-season with 17 tv weeks of games due to 1 bye. If they have 18 game season and 2 bye weeks it would be a 20 week tv season. NFL would love this for tv revenue.  

Maybe a compromise.

-shorten preseason to 3 games. (or possibly 2)

-add one game to regular season for a 17 game season.

-add a bye week to make 2 bye weeks. Still having games every week.

With 3 preseason games option this would result in same total games(20) they play now.  With a 2nd bye week and 17 game reg-season tv revenue would increase as tv weeks of games would increase by two to 19.

From pre-season to end of reg-season would only increase by one week. From 21 to 22.  Doable.

And could have policy that every player must take another game off and actually play 16, maybe, although I think the 2nd bye week negates this need.

Edited by cba fan

9 hours ago, Lv-Bills said:

Yes you do.  And so do I.  For preseason games that are required.  Even though I don't like this, anything is better than preseason garbage.

If they take away the preseason all together and leave the regular season at 16 games they are not lowering the price of your season tickets. They will just increase the price of the regular season games. They know everyone will pay it still because that's all they want anyways.

If they go to 18 games, which I hope they do not, I would like to see it done this way with a 16 game max per player. I'm a stats guy and I don't like the idea of future players being able to pad their stats with two more games per season. Back up QB pay would skyrocket though with something like this. The Fitzpatrick types would do quite well. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nope nope

I don’t pay 1000 bucks for season tickets to watch backups and a backup QB play when the starter is healthy 

those seem like fine Little league rules 

Exactly, the MLB does it out of necessity but this isn't baseball. I don't want a bullpen of QBs. I don't want to hear more about the last 10 or 15 guys on the roster. 

They have saturated the market and watered down the product enough. I know it's awful from a business perspective, but when is enough, enough. Just let the game be. No more teams, no more games, no more playoff teams. Tweaking rules for safety concerns, or for catches and things of that nature, I get. But bigger changes like this, just no more of it.

• Like (+1) 2